Raith v Partick, 8 Dec...the race to keep up with DU

3 minutes ago, kdyteejay said:

Maybe because I’m Kirkcaldy born and bred but it’s always been the Rovers.

If bigmad doesn’t like being called Patrick we can call them plastic whistle. 😜

Who is Patrick? 🤔

By the sounds of it we are very close to a full squad available for this. I think one of the issues that Ian Murray will be considering is that we have 3 really tough games in a week, so there might be a bit of rotation going on. I can't see him using a back 3 for this and if fit I think he'll use Brown and Byrne in midfield. As for the forward options who knows.  

Thistle ran all over the top of our 4-1-3-2 at the start of the season, albeit without a recognised sitting mid at the time. Doolan's Thistle teams really do attack quickly down the flanks and I think I saw a stat about goals vs xG that gives you an idea of how good they usually are at getting the ball into Brian Graham between 6 and 10 yards out.

Really could see us dropping points tonight. Defence should hopefully look a little more settled than it has against Dunfermline and ICT at least. Byrne has been different class since he came in and should hopefully stem some of the Thistle flow, but think this is the best attack we've faced outside of Dundee Utd by a long shot.

Really tough to pick an 11 for this one.

I actually think Murray might not come straight back in, even if he is fit.

I reckon something like this:

Big Kev

Millen, Brown, O'Reilly, Dick

Connolly, Byrne, Stanton, Easton

Vaughan  Hamilton

Midfield would be the usual diamond with Byrne sitting in front of the defence and Stanton further forward.  Vaughan to play behind Hamilton.

This would leave us with a bench including Gullan, Mullan, Murray, Smith, Matthews, Masson and Hannah.  7 outfield players on the bench is mental compared to last season where we played plenty of games with just 2.

Of course I wouldn't be surprised if Murray's team actually looks nothing like that.

I reckon if Murray is fit he comes back in for Corr. 
I think Brown will come back in so that we can play 2 sitting midfielders and Vaughan will be the one to drop out (as mental as that sounds). 
Im also a bit apprehensive about this one 😬

Not sure I've ever not been apprehensive about a Rovers game. It's strange for us to not be a bunch of bottling shit*hawks.

Agree with @stevoraith I've got him playing Brown and Byrne at the base and you can't not play Stanton and Hamilton. Wide players is a toss up but personally I'd go Easton and Connolly but wouldn't complain at any mix tbh.

Whoever is left out will have a solid reason to be chapping Murray's door on Monday morning.

I forgot about Corr.  So we could have 8 outfield players on the bench (is that allowed?  I genuinely have no idea how many you're allowed now).  I'm just really glad it's not me having to pick the team.  Picking players to play is easy.  Deciding who misses out is really hard.

Dropping Vaughan is a tough one, he's playing well scoring regularly and is the top scorer. 

That said he gets the arse when he's dropped and feels he has a point to prove when he does come on. 

I think we'll see something of Gullan tonight for some reason. 

1 hour ago, Halbeath Raith Rover said:

Vaughan I think. Appreciate that's a big and potentially unpopular call though.

Aye, but Vaughan on in the 65-70 minute range for Hamilton is a wonderful option. I absolutely expect to start 4-2-3-1, with Byrne and Brown at the DM roles. As others have noted, that only leave three questions as Stanton is a literal must at CM/AM and Hamilton will be ST…second CB, LM/W, and RM/W?

While Easton would feel hard done by, having him and Vaughan come on late would certainly harry Partick’s defence.

2 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

A bit surprised to see Bannigan out, but not necessarily gutted - delighted to see Robinson on the bench again. 

Agree, feel like this game is the type that would/could suit Bannigan but a strong team and bench nonetheless.