Derek Adams interview

6 hours ago, 2426255 said:

Yes. It was a straight forward and honest interview from what I heard. It's just fans from other teams and the media creating something out of nothing here obviously. I like his style.

In last night's interview having just been pumped 3-0 at home by a team in the league below, he threw his players under a bus ("they've all had a chance") and admitted he maybe shouldn't have taken his job and hadn't done his homework. It's "honest" I suppose but at the same time it makes him look like an absolute trumpet who is unwilling to take responsibility for his team being an utter shambles.  His style is that of a man who is much, much thicker than he thinks he is.

2 minutes ago, VictorOnopko said:

In last night's interview having just been pumped 3-0 at home by a team in the league below, he threw his players under a bus ("they've all had a chance") and admitted he maybe shouldn't have taken his job and hadn't done his homework. It's "honest" I suppose but at the same time it makes him look like an absolute trumpet who is unwilling to take responsibility for his team being an utter shambles.  His style is that of a man who is much, much thicker than he thinks he is.

I referenced mark mcghee earlier. 

He was the classic case of confusing ‘honesty’ with just blurting out whatever nonsense is in his head at that moment. 

It’s not good management, it’s not endearing and it’s certainly not intelligent. 

As it happens, it now seems Derek Adams is angling to be either sacked or a quiet agreement to end this sooner rather than later. 

6 hours ago, Staggie52 said:

Leaving aside those who just don’t like(hate) Adams, I do find it strange that many of the people who complained about Malky sugar coating his post match comments, are now complaining that Adams is saying it like he sees it. I guess that there might be a mid-point which would satisfy them, but I have my doubts.

I’d prefer to look at the results and Adams has a few games, and a few transfers, to convince me that it was worthwhile brining him in. If he fails we go down, if he succeeds he’ll be a hero for me, but he’ll never be a great communicator.

He's not good at playing the media game - don't think he tries to, but he's very honest and direct which for me is a sign of excellent communication.

Just now, 2426255 said:

He's not good at playing the media game - don't think he tries to, but he's very honest and direct which for me is a sign of excellent communication.

Yeah, at least if he tells his players they are shite, they will know.

30 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

Holy f**k, I've seen some takes, but that's a belter.

Clear enough for you?

Another weird interview from Adams there, nowhere near the same level as against Dundee, but strange nonetheless. 

I suspect he will be binned fairly soon, but that won't be because of how bad a job Derek Adams did, nope. Accountability and this total melon does not go hand in hand. 

He's just not good enough for this level anymore. At 48 he's already a dinosaur and would be better off back bobbing around League 1 and 2 down south, the Ross County job is far too big for him now. He's clearly angling for a sacking and payoff as he's no idea how to fix it and the players more than likely hate him. Stinks of Stubbs at St Mirren.

14 hours ago, GAD said:

He's just not good enough for this level anymore. At 48 he's already a dinosaur and would be better off back bobbing around League 1 and 2 down south, the Ross County job is far too big for him now. He's clearly angling for a sacking and payoff as he's no idea how to fix it and the players more than likely hate him. Stinks of Stubbs at St Mirren.

I think the writing is on the wall when you publicly criticise the players so harshly. They should bin him now. 

I hear Troy Deeney is available.

Edited by houston_bud

10 hours ago, GAD said:

I don't think he's a dinosaur. He won promotions in 2017 and 2021 and got one of the plum jobs in the lower reaches of the EFL in 2021. He's clearly not a dreadful coach, and to imply he's somehow been left behind by the sport in three years would need some explanation.

I think he's just another example of how we attach too much of the credit for their success and failure to coaches individually. Adams has had success at well-run clubs at good times. He's done a good job at three different clubs. He's not an idiot.

But one bad job can lead to a spiral where coaches panic and take jobs they shouldn't take. A job at a bad club (as in poorly run) is a poisoned chalice. Bradford went badly, but that was his first really bad job, and he should have waited for somethin better rather than going back to Morecambe, who have had well-publicised off-field problems. Realising his mistake, he jumps ship to another job which, by his own admission, he hadn't checked out.

It's a classic manager spiral where a bad spell leads to poor decisions made in desparation. I think John Hughes is another example of this. Taking bad jobs makes a coach look shite. Same as playing in a bad team can make a player look shite.

Adams' behaviour seems to be that of a strange man. But I don't think he's as bad a coach as he looks at the moment. There's plenty evidence he's quite a good one. He just seems to be in the middle of sabotaging his own career.

Edited by VincentGuerin