Coaching Carousel 2024

lichtie23

Surprised at that. Seems like only a few weeks ago any post on social media in response to the 49s announcements was wanting him gone before he moved back down to the sidelines and there was an uptick in defensive performances. If he does go I'll be a lot less bothered than when Saleh and Ryans left.

Edited by RiG

12 hours ago, peasy23 said:

49 minutes ago, RiG said:

Surprised at that. Seems like only a few weeks ago any post on social media in response to the 49s announcements was wanting him gone before he moved back down to the sidelines and there was an uptick in defensive performances. If he does go I'll be a lot less bothered than when Saleh and Ryans left.

This feels like a Rooney Rule interview rather than a serious intention to hire, tbh.

2 hours ago, Nightmare said:

This feels like a Rooney Rule interview rather than a serious intention to hire, tbh.

That was my first thought too tbh, as @RiG says, before the 49ers bye week he must have been perilously close to the exit door.

In saying that, I’ve just seen that they’ve also requested Patrick Graham (Raiders DC) and Raheem Morris (Rams DC) - they definitely didn’t need to do all of those if they were only looking to fulfil the RR. They’ve also requested to interview Dan Quinn so that’s 4 DCs.

Strange for a team who you would imagine should be really looking at an offensive minded guy to pair with Herbert.

11 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

This feels like a mistake. Maybe Titans fans will disagree but I feel like he did well and overachieved with mediocre rosters.

As I posted further up, my Titans supporting mate expected him to stay, he's well liked by the fans. They also have loads of cap space so plenty of scope to pick up quality in free agency.

4 hours ago, RiG said:

Did not see that one coming.

So frustrating mistakes yes, especially all the false starts and shit like not putting Henry in for some 3rd and 1 situations.

Seemed like all the players respected him though.

Wrong decision imo.

3 hours ago, peasy23 said:

As I posted further up, my Titans supporting mate expected him to stay, he's well liked by the fans. They also have loads of cap space so plenty of scope to pick up quality in free agency.

$85m of free cap space I believe.

4 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

And Levi’s on a cheap deal! Have they got Simmons tied down to a deal yet? 

Yeah, 4 year extension at the start of this season, taking him to 2027. Proper pler like. Love big Jeff.

$94m deal, 2nd highest paid DL behind Donald.

Edited by johnnydun

12 hours ago, RiG said:

It's a Rooney Rule interview. The Chargers are hell-bent on hiring Harbaugh, but they can't do that without interviewing two minority coaches.

Vrabel getting the punt is overdue. He's a mediocre coach that gets by on presenting a no-nonsense personality. I've been saying for a couple of seasons now that he's the definition of Jeff Fisher mediocrity. 7 to 9 wins most seasons, but will never get you over the hump. The Titans won't regret this.

7 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

It's a Rooney Rule interview. The Chargers are hell-bent on hiring Harbaugh, but they can't do that without interviewing two minority coaches.

Why interview 4 minority (DC) candidates then?

2 hours ago, Nightmare said:

Why interview 4 minority (DC) candidates then?

Probably because interviewing only two would be too blatant a case of paying lip service, plus its normal to schedule excess interviews with no serious intention to hire because it shortens the timeline for hiring the guy you actually want. Courtesy interviews are also fairly common in the NFL.

Chargers are clearly open-minded with coaching hires given their second to last HC was black, but I don't see Wilks as a credible candidate, even though I think he actually did well taking over the Rhule mess in Carolina.

They have to do due dilligence as a contingency for not hiring Harbaugh, so there's no reason to assume every minority coach they interview is purely a box-ticking exercise, but in Wilks specific case it appears very much a case of get the mandatory out of the way asap.

Edited by Boo Khaki