Weather watch 6/1/24

44 minutes ago, Johnstonian said:

Johnstone Burgh say “hold my beer”

Tweet the game b Downfield is on, then match postponed 45 mins prior to kick off when the Dundee side were down.

That’s twice it’s happened now.

An hour before kick off the entire Burgh committee, coaches and a few others who help were in the pitch.

My guess is they tried to pressure Downfield and the Officials to play the game.

Bad enough to do it once to a team from Dundee, but twice is inexcusable. 

They said they were going to give the pitch every opportunity to thraw out. Expenses paid out to Downfield and to the officials. 

10 minutes ago, Uncle Scan said:

They said they were going to give the pitch every opportunity to thraw out. Expenses paid out to Downfield and to the officials. 

Good to see and hopefully that was agreed with opposition before hand. But as with us there are more than just players and officials to worry about with fans travelling significant distances to only find out the game is postponed. 

I am all for giving a pitches a chance to thaw out where possible but it should be communicated to supporters so they can make a decision if it is worth travelling or not. 

1 hour ago, Uncle Scan said:

Glad to hear it and well done to the Committee 👍🏼

I know the park gets a lot of sun but was always going to be optimistic 

7 hours ago, andy25 said:

Largs Thistle v Gartcairn 

GAME OFF 

Next league meeting should be fun with several teams thoroughly pissed off at late call offs today. This side of the pitch was why the Largs game was off.

20240106_142332.jpg

5 hours ago, Arthurlie1981 said:

Good to see and hopefully that was agreed with opposition before hand. But as with us there are more than just players and officials to worry about with fans travelling significant distances to only find out the game is postponed. 

I am all for giving a pitches a chance to thaw out where possible but it should be communicated to supporters so they can make a decision if it is worth travelling or not. 

I remember in 2017 we travelled up to dunterlie and gate not even opened. When a large patch of the park was pure brown sludge 

3 hours ago, GLENAFTON_LOYAL said:

I remember in 2017 we travelled up to dunterlie and gate not even opened. When a large patch of the park was pure brown sludge 

BROWN SLUDGE !!!
Had you been on the park grazing big yin 😂

9 hours ago, GLENAFTON_LOYAL said:

So that makes what your team did yesterday fine then? Not the 1st time they have done it either too. The fact that they responded on social media saying the park was fine when asked by an Arthurlie fan shows the contempt they treated fans.

22 hours ago, peasy23 said:

Next league meeting should be fun with several teams thoroughly pissed off at late call offs today. This side of the pitch was why the Largs game was off.

20240106_142332.jpg

Nah, I have to ask. Could 30 guys running on top of that for five minutes not have sorted it?

17 hours ago, Arthurlie1981 said:

So that makes what your team did yesterday fine then? Not the 1st time they have done it either too. The fact that they responded on social media saying the park was fine when asked by an Arthurlie fan shows the contempt they treated fans.

Did I say that makes it fine? No! You're crying like you're the only fans that's traveled to a game disappointed it's been called off. 

I'll play your game though. Your team could have informed us back in 2017 that a massive part of your pitch was visibly clearly not going to be playable and to save us traveling, but you didn't. 

Everybody involved fairly obviously wanted to try and get the game played as it's now likely going to be another midweek game with some players on both sides unavailable due to work commitments. 

Understandable that late call offs are an inconvenience to everyone, but the blaming and insinuating that some deliberate messing around has been done every single time there are weather postponements is juvenile.

No team has it in their interests to call off a game at the last minute. Moving games for senior derbies etc. I understand people’s gripes with but on here and twitter you’d think there was a grand conspiracy against every away team at the weekend there.

8 hours ago, Darwizzy said:
On 08/01/2024 at 03:13, GLENAFTON_LOYAL said:

Did I say that makes it fine? No! You're crying like you're the only fans that's traveled to a game disappointed it's been called off. 

I'll play your game though. Your team could have informed us back in 2017 that a massive part of your pitch was visibly clearly not going to be playable and to save us traveling, but you didn't. 

Everybody involved fairly obviously wanted to try and get the game played as it's now likely going to be another midweek game with some players on both sides unavailable due to work commitments. 

The difference on that occasion is that the pitch was playable when inspected by a referee and then an absolute moonsoon came down about 11.30am and never stopped. 

Glenafton informed us the pitch was playable and did not require a pitch inspection at 10am fast forward 2 and a half hours and large parts of the pitch were frozen solid

Edited by john-m-

20 hours ago, Darwizzy said:

Understandable that late call offs are an inconvenience to everyone, but the blaming and insinuating that some deliberate messing around has been done every single time there are weather postponements is juvenile.

No team has it in their interests to call off a game at the last minute. Moving games for senior derbies etc. I understand people’s gripes with but on here and twitter you’d think there was a grand conspiracy against every away team at the weekend there.

Im not insinuating anything. I don't think Glens did anything different because it was us. But what I do know is that is that (and I have done this in the past) Glens could have spoken to Arthurlie and said they wanted to give it as much chance as possible and arranged an inspection for 11:30, but instead they said the pitch was fine (when it wasn't) and fans had started making the 100 mile round trip with some being almost there by the time they found out it was off. 

I might not be "crying" as a poster above stated but I am certainly angry and disappointed, mainly because of the cost of travelling down on a wasted journey.  Like I said I dont have any doubts that this was Glens trying to get the game on but what did they expect when a good part of the pitch was frozen solid, they deserve criticism and punishment from the league for how they handled it!

I canny say for certain what condition the Glen's park was in but it couldn't have been "frozen solid", it simply wasn't cold enough in New  Cumnock on the Friday night. 

It's unfortunate the ref called  the game off but I think the fact that pitches were playable in Auchinleck, lugar, kirkconnel and Dalmellington and to an extent at Cumnock justified them being optimistic of getting the game on. Maybe your idea of having an inspection around 1100 - 1130 is something they could do in the future, it sounds like a sensible idea. 

Fair enough if we get a bit of criticism for the decision, but what are you thinking of a  punishment for us, fines, points deduction or home games being moved away from the micro climate of New Cumnock? Am no sure kirkconnel or Dalmellington are that much warmer 🥶🥶🥶🥶

2 hours ago, Arthurlie1981 said:

Im not insinuating anything. I don't think Glens did anything different because it was us. But what I do know is that is that (and I have done this in the past) Glens could have spoken to Arthurlie and said they wanted to give it as much chance as possible and arranged an inspection for 11:30, but instead they said the pitch was fine (when it wasn't) and fans had started making the 100 mile round trip with some being almost there by the time they found out it was off. 

I might not be "crying" as a poster above stated but I am certainly angry and disappointed, mainly because of the cost of travelling down on a wasted journey.  Like I said I dont have any doubts that this was Glens trying to get the game on but what did they expect when a good part of the pitch was frozen solid, they deserve criticism and punishment from the league for how they handled it!

4 hours ago, Arthurlie1981 said:

I think the fact it took the referee some time to decide whether the game should be on or not means it was far from being frozen solid. Stop exaggerating.

And if it is a 100 mile round trip from Barrhead to New Cumnock I would suggest you consult a map. Stop exaggerating.

A number of fairly late call offs at the weekend - the league has to have better leadership on this if you ask me.

Some of these games never stood a chance. I think I read our supporters bus was boarded and ready to leave when Pollok went off. IT's not a good look for clubs or the WoS.