Red Sea Crisis

First post on P&B I think and here I go on a work related post 😅

I work in Shipping and Logistics and the ongoing disruption in the Red Sea is going to cause huge supply chain issues.

A month or so ago you could ship a 40' Container from China to UK for USD 850. Now you are lucky if you can get one shipped for USD 5800. So much for the cost of living crisis coming to an end. 

Container shortages and equipment imbalance globally will also start to impact supply chains and potentially cause shortages of certain goods.

A few more weeks of this, especially as we approach Chinese New Year shutdown, will see costs continue to rise for at least the next quarter.

Can't believe I just took the time to type that. As if I don't waffle enough about this shit 9-530 every day 🤮

16 minutes ago, PeaceSells said:

I work in Shipping and Logistics and the ongoing disruption in the Red Sea is going to cause huge supply chain issues.

A month or so ago you could ship a 40' Container from China to UK for USD 850. Now you are lucky if you can get one shipped for USD 5800. So much for the cost of living crisis coming to an end. 

Container shortages and equipment imbalance globally will also start to impact supply chains and potentially cause shortages of certain goods.

A few more weeks of this, especially as we approach Chinese New Year shutdown, will see costs continue to rise for at least the next quarter.

Can't believe I just took the time to type that. As if I don't waffle enough about this shit 9-530 every day 🤮

Yup, the profiteering started almost immediately. We got quoted $4000. It's not about Chinese tat taking a few weeks longer, it's about the entire global supply chain being disrupted even more than it is now with the Panama Canal being restricted. Price rises, inflation, budget cuts, recession etc all in the offing.

4 hours ago, PeaceSells said:

4 hours ago, Newbornbairn said:

Yup, the profiteering started almost immediately. We got quoted $4000. It's not about Chinese tat taking a few weeks longer, it's about the entire global supply chain being disrupted even more than it is now with the Panama Canal being restricted. Price rises, inflation, budget cuts, recession etc all in the offing.

Well that’s Temu f**ked then.

I've read and heard this response a lot: "the Houthis are attacking ships unconnected to Israel therefore their stated motive can't be sincere".

Maybe but I'd have thought the Houthis' aim is to create global rather than local disruption (the very sort described above). That its the backers of Israel far more than Israel itself that the Houthis are looking to pressure. That western Europe and especially USA will have to reconsider their support of Israel's current actions if that support carries with it a growing economic penalty.

Presumably the Houthis also have their own interests in mind here.

They're likely going to get some sort of dialogue with the outside world and i'd assume that this won't do Aden (and therefore non-Houthi Yemen) any favours commercially. 

9 hours ago, PeaceSells said:

All this in an election year in the UK and USA.

"Something must be done!"

9 hours ago, Newbornbairn said:

While the rise in shipping costs is going to increase prices by an amount it's surely not as simplistic to say rise from $850 to $4000 to ship a container means prices are going to increase by that same percentage.  What would be the approximate value of the goods in a container and therefore how much does the $3150 increase in costs affect the overall price.

I can see sensationalist media types chucking around a 300% increase in costs headline for the clicks/justification though.

57 minutes ago, Left Back said:

While the rise in shipping costs is going to increase prices by an amount it's surely not as simplistic to say rise from $850 to $4000 to ship a container means prices are going to increase by that same percentage.  What would be the approximate value of the goods in a container and therefore how much does the $3150 increase in costs affect the overall price.

I can see sensationalist media types chucking around a 300% increase in costs headline for the clicks/justification though.

Humanitarian crises don't cut the mustard any more. Price rises are where it's at for outraging sensibilities.

People who organise small boats are quite good at navigation in dangerous water, we could ask them to bring stuff in.

4 hours ago, coprolite said:

Presumably the Houthis also have their own interests in mind here.

They're likely going to get some sort of dialogue with the outside world and i'd assume that this won't do Aden (and therefore non-Houthi Yemen) any favours commercially. 

Aye, good point. Both the (Saudi-backed) Yemeni government and Saudi itself are probably being damaged by this. So it gives the Houthis extra leverage in their peace negotiations with those two entities.

17 hours ago, D Angelo Barksdale said:

Unconfirmed reports that Iran have joined the party by bombing suspected US and Israeli sites in Iraq.

As expected with Twitter/X these days, three of the four leading posts on an “attack on the U.S. consulate” are old videos retitled, the fourth might be real, but doesn’t show anything useful. U.S. sources have confirmed the consulate was NOT hit and no U.S. personnel were injured. The more interesting bits are a record long shot for Iran and how Israel responds will tell us if it was indeed Israeli intelligence targets hit.

On 14/01/2024 at 14:28, Freedom Farter said:

My fear over these strikes on Houthi military infrastructure is that the Houthis respond by trying to directly target US or UK ships which (I think) they haven't done yet. I don't know what capabilities the Houthis have but if they were able to hit a US or UK ship and kill soldiers that'd provoke a much heightened response. It could then continue spiralling until the first civilian gets killed. I don't know anything about conflict dynamics so maybe that's a misplaced fear.

There is an issue of piracy in the region, and there's no doubt of Houthi involvement in this.

However, bombing the shite out of them seems to me an over-the-top response when there are much more effective less violent means available.

I don't remember the US or UK doing this to Somalian pirates.

It's been done for two reasons - to deflect from Gaza but also to punish the Houthi for attacking Southern Israel with drones.

Edited by DeeTillEhDeh

5 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

It's been done for one reason only - to deflect from Gaza but also to punish the Houthi for attacking Southern Israel with drones.

So two reasons then 😉. Largely agree with your post 

1 hour ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

There is an issue of piracy in the region, and there's no doubt of Houthi involvement in this.

However, bombing the shite out of them seems to me an over-the-top response when there are much more effective less violent means available.

I don't remember the US or UK doing this to Somalian pirates.

It's been done for two reasons - to deflect from Gaza but also to punish the Houthi for attacking Southern Israel with drones.

I'm not sure drone and anti ship missile attacks are "piracy", it's a marked escalation from small boats and pirate boardings.

Biden is now putting the Houthis on the terror list which is bad news for the roughly 20M Yemenis for whom that's their government. (https://apnews.com/article/us-houthis-red-sea-jake-sullivan-yemen-ff507d06a7a44d6f3644f128e7766b3d).Screenshot2024-01-179_30_07AM.png.16c8d02f23fbfa6e9ddc13b3503540a7.png

This won't do anything to deter the Houthis' current Red Sea disruption. It'll please UAE, though, who've been lobbying hard for it This is from a year ago (https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/us-yemen-envoy-lenderking-visit-gulf-london-state-department-2022-01-19/)

Screenshot2024-01-179_28_29AM.png.f07fe5835aec183ca6eadf3b852cb2d3.png

Emirati efforts have been so intense that when I googled it just now, some propaganda pamphlet of theirs was the top result:

Screenshot_20240117_090851_Chrome.thumb.jpg.124d065e5a90f507c08f265cb2bd7836.jpg

First we have Iran using this escalation as a pretext to escalate themselves, going after US bases in Iraq and Syria while also attacking Kurdish civilians in Iraq (they were all Mossad bases, honest) and Balochi civilians in Pakistan (they were separatists planning terrorist attacks in Iran even though we only killed children, honest).

Now we have Pakistan bombing Iran in response, also saying this was to target terrorist groups - again, four of the seven dead being children makes that doubtful.

Possibly this is Pakistan just going for deterrence to stop Iran bombing them again as they've decided to hit half the Middle East at once and both will back down at this point, but things are getting less and less stable by the day.

11 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

First we have Iran using this escalation as a pretext to escalate themselves, going after US bases in Iraq and Syria while also attacking Kurdish civilians in Iraq (they were all Mossad bases, honest) and Balochi civilians in Pakistan (they were separatists planning terrorist attacks in Iran even though we only killed children, honest).

Now we have Pakistan bombing Iran in response, also saying this was to target terrorist groups - again, four of the seven dead being children makes that doubtful.

Possibly this is Pakistan just going for deterrence to stop Iran bombing them again as they've decided to hit half the Middle East at once and both will back down at this point, but things are getting less and less stable by the day.

My thoughts, which count for nothing.  Iran have started bombing other countries (terrorist networks). As soon as Israel started bombing Lebanon (terrorist networks).

Good enough for you, good enough for me.

It will stop only when Israel stop.  Where is Mo Mowlam when you need her?