⚪️🔴Airdrie vs Thistle🔴🟡 - 27th of January

McCabe has generally been great at centre-back but every now and then you see that isn't his natural position. Standing with his hand up for offside and not bothering to run back because he's so confident it's offside, when he has no idea that Watson is behind him playing everyone onside, is schoolboy stuff. Even if you're certain it's offside you have to go back with the man, he would have been in a position to win the rebound if he'd tracked back.

On the game it's probably a decent point. Partick will finish 2nd at worst I think so it's an encouraging performance to go toe to toe against them. As I said in the other thread, it's clear that at home we'll give everyone a game, it's how many points we can start taking away from home which will decide how high up the league we finish.

As others have said a point is probably fair. Thistle came out quickly and were piling on the pressure for a good 15 minutes. We handled it well though and deserved our goal. The equaliser was just classic McCabe thinking he knows everything as per.

I didn’t think there was much between the sides whatsoever so that’s a positive.

Overall a good game with some good tackles and the weekly dose of shithousery. PS that ref is such a weapon

Hard to disagree about the game,  fair result, the game ebbed and flowed for the 90 minutes and was an intriguing watch, Thistle istill class as one our bitterest rivals,  but to be fair they are the best side we have played (3times) this season,  Airdrie are becoming a lot more streetwise,  we had 4 potential starters out,  and we still competed to a high level, a 3 week break as we go on our cup travels , after that teams will start to kick for home and the pressure in the league will really crank up. 

Is the decent Partick outfit down to shrewd business and coaching by another young manager just waiting for a chance,  Doolan,  Rhys, Tidser (Kelty), Agnew ( Stranraer) have all been trusted by their chairmen, which really goes against the grain of Scottish Football where the same names get thrown in the bowl time and time again....  Yogi  anyone....

11 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

McCabe has generally been great at centre-back but every now and then you see that isn't his natural position. Standing with his hand up for offside and not bothering to run back because he's so confident it's offside, when he has no idea that Watson is behind him playing everyone onside, is schoolboy stuff. Even if you're certain it's offside you have to go back with the man, he would have been in a position to win the rebound if he'd tracked back.

On the game it's probably a decent point. Partick will finish 2nd at worst I think so it's an encouraging performance to go toe to toe against them. As I said in the other thread, it's clear that at home we'll give everyone a game, it's how many points we can start taking away from home which will decide how high up the league we finish.

Our defensive line, which has been superb recently wasn't great but was Watson too deep or McCabe too high?  Hancock's positioning was my first thought but perhaps the highlights might clarify.  I do however concur that not running back is not what fans want to see.

12 hours ago, ACAB said:

Airdrie's goal looked offside to me. 

image.png.a33a8f01cde1e199e54bbe1cacdda0c9.png

Does look like the Airdrie player near the line is ahead of the mass of bodies including Sneddon so there's only one defender (McMillan) behind him when the header is won, and while I'm not 100% the header towards goal hit the Airdrie player, he definitely stops McMillan getting a clearance on it. As always with 45 degree camera angle there might be a trailing leg playing someone on and there were no protests from our players, just McMillan bollocking Sneddon.

Having watched the clip again maybe the header taking hitting off someone means it's not offside, I don't know whether it has to be deliberate or not. FWIW the camera angle for the Thistle goal isn't wide enough to show whether McMillan was offside. I'm just glad we don't have VAR tbh

Edited by Fuctifano
Added clip

31 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Our defensive line, which has been superb recently wasn't great but was Watson too deep or McCabe too high?  Hancock's positioning was my first thought but perhaps the highlights might clarify.  I do however concur that not running back is not what fans want to see.

Who was at fault for the defensive line is a separate issue I'd argue. If Watson was as far behind as the linesman's (who should be in line with the deepest defender) positioning suggests then it's Watson at fault for that part. But regardless McCabe clearly didn't realise how deep Watson was, he just saw Lawless ahead of Hancock and assumed offside. You can't just stand with your arm up when you can't see across the whole line. And even if you can you should still be chasing back given the standard of officials.

I felt a bit flat, when I checked the result.  However, an enjoyable watch, with a few stiff challenges going in.  Both sides trying to play a bit and some nice triangles from Thistle, to retain possession.  Would like to see how McBeth looks when the opposition are fresh, because he seems to be able to create time on the ball for himself.  Enjoyed the Adeloye shuffle, for the goal.  When I see a talented keeper making errors, I either think they are over-confident and aren't fully focused, or too hyper and it's affecting their judgement.  I have no idea if the club has a Sports Psychologist, if they could afford one, or if it would be considered as new age pish.

2 hours ago, Fuctifano said:

Does look like the Airdrie player near the line is ahead of the mass of bodies including Sneddon so there's only one defender (McMillan) behind him when the header is won, and while I'm not 100% the header towards goal hit the Airdrie player, he definitely stops McMillan getting a clearance on it. As always with 45 degree camera angle there might be a trailing leg playing someone on and there were no protests from our players, just McMillan bollocking Sneddon.

Having watched the clip again maybe the header taking hitting off someone means it's not offside, I don't know whether it has to be deliberate or not. FWIW the camera angle for the Thistle goal isn't wide enough to show whether McMillan was offside. I'm just glad we don't have VAR tbh

Obviously not an ideal angle but that does look offside 

On 28/01/2024 at 10:48, Fuctifano said:

You’ll find that your man on the line has no problem shoving McCabe to the ground to then make a feeble attempt at clearing the ball - only to then knock the ball directly to Watson who sweeps it home. Would be a very very very harsh offside

8 minutes ago, Diamond1924 said:

You’ll find that your man on the line has no problem shoving McCabe to the ground to then make a feeble attempt at clearing the ball - only to then knock the ball directly to Watson who sweeps it home. Would be a very very very harsh offside

I don't think it'd be harsh at all your either on or offside and McCabe looks a good yard offside which makes the goal even better for me.

14 minutes ago, AJ77 said:

I don't think it'd be harsh at all your either on or offside and McCabe looks a good yard offside which makes the goal even better for me.

If the offside is given for McCabe impeding on the partick player’s view/ability to challenge for the ball when that very partick player is the one who makes an attempt to clear it then yes it would be harsh 

8 minutes ago, Diamond1924 said:

If the offside is given for McCabe impeding on the partick player’s view/ability to challenge for the ball when that very partick player is the one who makes an attempt to clear it then yes it would be harsh 

Seems like you’re failing to understand the concept of offside imo.

1 hour ago, Diamond1924 said:

Nothing to do with him impeding the player he touches the ball when he's offside

2 minutes ago, A Diamond For Me said:

I can't really tell from that angle, but we're due one anyway for the ludicrous disallowed goal in the first home game vs. Thistle. 

Swings and roundabouts eh

2 hours ago, AJ77 said:

Nothing to do with him impeding the player he touches the ball when he's offside

3 hours ago, Nightmare said:

Seems like you’re failing to understand the concept of offside imo.

Didn’t see that 👍