Rovers 🔵 v United 🟠 - top of the table clash

10 hours ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

On a personal note, it was nice to be at the game with my old man, he's had a pretty shit time of things recently so it was wonderful to spend some quality time with him, as time goes on it gets harder to make time for everyone. Forgive me the self indulgence, but the game was a brilliant distraction for him, and that means more than the result.

Win, lose or draw it is amazing how 90 minutes of football can take your mind away from things. I hope things get better for your dad. 

2 hours ago, Pens_Dark said:

Win, lose or draw it is amazing how 90 minutes of football can take your mind away from things. I hope things get better for your dad. 

It’s something people probably don’t analyse and think about too much but I do.

Some of my earliest memories are my dad taking me to Starks when you could stand directly behind the dugout in the late 80’s. The smell of deep heat on some of the players was potent!

I now travel home and away with my son and my old man joins up with us at the home games. Special memories.

Life can be brutal but football can be a welcome distraction but also bring out the wildest emotions.

Something I think about is a lot of people are like paid actors in the workplace. Having to behave, talk and act in a certain type of way to either advance your career or simply retain it. It can be exhausting and dismal. You get to a football match and it’s like the unfiltered version of yourself comes out, especially after an 89th minute pearled in the top corner on a Friday night!

I’ll stop slavering now.

Edited by RAITHROVERS84

15 hours ago, RaithRyan said:

He’s genuinely up there as one of the biggest wanks in the game. 

Countless times he goes down at the slightest touch, you can see him lining it up - constantly in refs faces, involved at every incident. 

Laughed in Big Kev’s face at the equaliser like a genuine w**k. 

Hope he enjoyed his eggs this morning anyway. 

Hamilton, Watt or Uncle Albert?

22 hours ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

On a personal note, it was nice to be at the game with my old man, he's had a pretty shit time of things recently so it was wonderful to spend some quality time with him, as time goes on it gets harder to make time for everyone. Forgive me the self indulgence, but the game was a brilliant distraction for him, and that means more than the result.

Make the most of it. I went home and away with my old man since I was a bout 6. Many Many memories and they were taken away, back in 2014 when he suddenly passed away. 

It took until this year for me to start coming again properly, as it just isn't the same. 

It's not just the memories at the match but the memories to and from. 

I remember finding a tape, yes tape in my dads car, I must have been about 10 and put it on and it was the Mrs T's 5 furlongs handycap race, with big tits getting to a flyer as it started off 😂😂 well my dad obviously hadn't heard it for a while and just burst out laughing, had to pull over before the bridge as he had tears streaming down his face, as did I. One of the funniest moments of my life, all because we were travelling to starks for the footy. It's these moments also that you hold on to forever. 

I hope your old man enjoyed the atmosphere etc. The result might not have been in your favour but the memory of him being there will never fade. 

1 hour ago, A_Rover_In_The_Burgh said:

Make the most of it. I went home and away with my old man since I was a bout 6. Many Many memories and they were taken away, back in 2014 when he suddenly passed away. 

It took until this year for me to start coming again properly, as it just isn't the same. 

It's not just the memories at the match but the memories to and from. 

I remember finding a tape, yes tape in my dads car, I must have been about 10 and put it on and it was the Mrs T's 5 furlongs handycap race, with big tits getting to a flyer as it started off 😂😂 well my dad obviously hadn't heard it for a while and just burst out laughing, had to pull over before the bridge as he had tears streaming down his face, as did I. One of the funniest moments of my life, all because we were travelling to starks for the footy. It's these moments also that you hold on to forever. 

I hope your old man enjoyed the atmosphere etc. The result might not have been in your favour but the memory of him being there will never fade. 

I spent a good few seasons going Home and Away with my dad. He is still with us, but I don't see him as much as I would like due to distance. The memories I have as a teenager on the supporters bus, and into my 20's driving and going to places like Inverness for an evening match in the driving rain, to standing next to Scott Thompson at Brockville. I was even at the most ridiculous match in Rover's history (losing to Clydebank at Capillow (2000) on the worst pitch./ weather... they were even so skint they cut the pies in half (and charged full price)). The footballing memories are great, but I now appreciate the time we had together.

Just getting round to coming on here for the first time after the game.  It was brilliant reading the comments during the match with the benefit of knowing the outcome.

I thought United started better but we came into it and looked pretty dangerous going forward.  Could (and probably should) have scored more before United started coming back into it and deservedly equalised.

Second half we really seemed to just set up not to concede which is understandable with our recent form.  Sat too deep which allowed United to just keep coming at us.  It also meant that any time we tried to play it out to Rudden, the ball was coming from too deep and was easy for United to defend.  If we'd been a bit further up then the balls may have gone over the top and given Rudden something to chase.

The game started to turn with Hamilton's challenge on the keeper.  Easiest decision the ref had to make all night but Hamilton knew exactly what he was doing.  Rather than taking one for the team it felt like he was taking one for the crowd.  The atmosphere in our end was brilliant from that point onwards.

The substitutes then completely changed the pattern of the game.  Brown added more energy in the midfield and Connolly and Easton gave the full backs some real problems.

Don't really need to say anything more about the winning goal than WOW!!!!!

Over the whole game a draw would've probably been a fairer result but I'll absolutely take it.  Even before Brown's goal it felt like we'd turned a corner after our bad run and I'm hopeful we can go on a decent run now.

If anyone’s looking for a good laugh then have a trawl through X to the replies to Big Jack’s tackle. 

I genuinely don’t think I’ve seen a more rattled set of fans in my life. 

Announce admin 5 year deal. 

5 minutes ago, RaithRyan said:

I genuinely don’t think I’ve seen a more rattled set of fans in my life

Even more so when you look back through some if those replying and see their tweets about James McPake.

Find it amazing that Jim Spence, who comments on anything and everything from old shops/pubs/flats in Dundee to photos of Junior teams from 19-canteen, hasn’t mentioned Friday’s game once on his Twitter feed. However, he’s felt able to discuss cameras in the Brentford dressing room, Motorbiking Sikhs and even reposted an Essex Police appeal about an incident in fucking Colchester. 

Lying low, Jim, after United’s ‘Invincibles’ were beaten again?

As an aside, Dundee United have not won a league game at Stark's Park since December 1998! We've only been in the same division twice since then, so it's only four games since we last won there...so it's not as bad at it first sounds. 

https://www.arabarchive.co.uk/matchdetails.php?id=1566

15 hours ago, Rover the Moon said:

Find it amazing that Jim Spence, who comments on anything and everything from old shops/pubs/flats in Dundee to photos of Junior teams from 19-canteen, hasn’t mentioned Friday’s game once on his Twitter feed. However, he’s felt able to discuss cameras in the Brentford dressing room, Motorbiking Sikhs and even reposted an Essex Police appeal about an incident in fucking Colchester. 

Lying low, Jim, after United’s ‘Invincibles’ were beaten again?

Thanks Thank You GIF by BLKBOK

Until I watched Inside Matchday I'd actually forgotten how "agricultural" Sibbald's tackle on Smith was at the end of the first half. Rightly booked. Hamilton's on the keeper was perhaps slightly less poor as the keeper wasn't travelling at any speed compared to Smith. Again he was also rightly booked.

Edited by embow

29 minutes ago, embow said:

Until I watched Inside Matchday I'd actually forgotten how "agricultural" Sibbald's tackle on Smith was at the end of the first half. Rightly booked. Hamilton's on the keeper was perhaps slightly less poor as the keeper wasn't travelling at any speed compared to Smith. Again he was also rightly booked.

Sibbald should have been sent off for that.

I was considering the substitutions, and still can't figure out Goodwin's strategy.

Rovers - 60' Rudden off and Hamilton on. Fresh legs for the single guy pressing deep, and a better player in the air.

Minute 71' - Hamilton interacts with Walton, directly in front of the home crowd, which is suddenly more into the game again.

Rovers - 74' Byrne, Mullen and Smith off, Brown, Easton and Connolly on. DM for DM, but a more attacking box-to-box DM versus a sitting deep and passing DM. Two creative ball carriers, shooters and passers on for the two more defensive wingers (one with a one step and cross style, the other with pace but not a great ball carrier) off. Obvious attacking substitutes.

United - 74' Moult off and Greive on. In chess, that would be a ???. Not sure why you pull an effective scorer and replace him with the new lad that hasn't scored yet. Anyone understand it?

United - 81' Wotherspoon off and Mochrie on. This is the one I really can't comprehend. Wotherspoon was playing freely across the pitch, causing trouble and seemed quite possibly United's best player, and on comes Mochrie. OK, he's an attacking mid, but hasn't done much in the way of scoring...why is Wotherspoon going off? Anyone understand this either?

Rovers - 88' Stanton off and Matthews on. Matthews is the closest player to Stanton on the team, and Stanton is coming off a 2 month absence, fair enough.

United - 92' Fotheringham and Middleton off and Cudjoe and Thomson on. This one is a little more "normal", although Fotheringham had been playing very well. Cudjoe is that attacking throw...Thomson reeks of what the hell, Middleton was burst, who can we throw on.

Goodwin's two late subs were classic fresh leg attacker in desperation, but the Moult and Wotherspoon moves I just don't understand.

6 hours ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

As an aside, Dundee United have not won a league game at Stark's Park since December 1998! We've only been in the same division twice since then, so it's only four games since we last won there...so it's not as bad at it first sounds. 

https://www.arabarchive.co.uk/matchdetails.php?id=1566

By December 1998 we were fighting to avoid relegation to Division Two and were holding bucket collections to help get us out of the mess Alan Kelly left us in.

At a guess you'd assume Moult off and Grieve on was a happy with a point/expecting Raith to go all out and catch them on the counter. 

Moult is a better player for teams to have when the games on edge fir a moment of quality. He could conjure that moment of quality when the game is eeking out but if Raith were to push out and in turn go for the three points you're (a lot of but not always) better suited having someone you can spring onto a hoofed clearance.

1 hour ago, Derry Alli said:

At a guess you'd assume Moult off and Grieve on was a happy with a point/expecting Raith to go all out and catch them on the counter. 

Moult is a better player for teams to have when the games on edge fir a moment of quality. He could conjure that moment of quality when the game is eeking out but if Raith were to push out and in turn go for the three points you're (a lot of but not always) better suited having someone you can spring onto a hoofed clearance.

Fair enough, but why pull Wotherspoon, who’d been an absolute thorn in out side all game?

5 hours ago, TxRover said:

Fair enough, but why pull Wotherspoon, who’d been an absolute thorn in out side all game?

He hasn’t played 90 minutes yet.  I thought he’d had a good game but was surprised he lasted as long as he did.

Mochrie has already come off the bench twice this season to score last minute winners.  

Greive for Moult - just fresh legs I suppose, haven’t seen much of Greive to convince he’s much more than a willing runner.