Inbhir Nis -vs- Dùn Phàrlain

4 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

It's the sort of stubbornness that was a part of the reason he got punted from Dundee.

Just now, CallumPar said:

Yeah. The team look much more comfortable when we play a back 4 with wingers. Trying to shoehorn them into the 3-5-2 system hasn’t worked and makes us look absolutely dreadful.

First half, we weren’t great, but we were a lot better than we were in the second. As you say, the new defenders look far more comfortable in a 4. I also think Edwards is better with a winger in front of him. O’Halloran’s better with a full back behind him and the attackers/midfield are better when we have wingers, rather than wing backs. I honestly don’t think the 3-5-2 benefits anyone.

Aye, I'm back to being as annoyed at McPake as I was after the QP game tbh, that was all on him. I thought when there was a break in the play in the second half that McPake, having watched the turgid pish we had served up would change the formation and move the players around, instead nothing, no change. 

He does have attacking players now, he has attacking subs he can bring on to change it up, and he still makes us utterly awful to watch. I'm not having player availability, or Inverness being a tough place to go or any other nonsense excuse given for tonight, that was all on McPake. 

Thought we were slightly the better team first half. Second half changes didn't work. We just lack depth and any real quality off the bench. 

Chris Kane is central to everything good up front. Lose him and Holmes is just nowhere near it, thought he might have something about him but thought he was really poor when given the chance. MOH is like Forrest Gump. Just runs in straight lines and doesn't lift his head.  The changes were just lacking any quality.

I'm happy enough to stay 2 points clear of ICT with a game in hand. Arbroath are now gone. Two home games now against Ayr and Airdrien now. Two teams with impressive results tonight. We have to get Kane back for those two, along with Matty Todd playing in the number ten role. Would give Moffat a start on Saturday.

Just avoid 9th is the aim now. 

8 minutes ago, CallumPar said:

If they’d scored the penalty, that would have been Inverness’ first home win since 11th November (8 home games). It’s not as tough as it’s made out to be. We just made it look like it is. We should be trying to distance ourselves from the team in 9th, not playing for 0-0, managing a grand total of zero shots on target in the entire match.

I don't disagree. But in case you hadn't noticed, we're pretty shite and barely any better than ICT - an away match on a cold February night is no easy tie, especially after losing Kane, who could really have made a difference. Certainly not defending McPake or any other performances, just pointing out that we've not suddenly turned into a top 4 team overnight. 

Certainly sounds like the performance regressed again which doesn't bode well for the next two fixtures. 

20 minutes ago, AuldReekie said:

I hate to say it, but atmosphere at EEP is going to be very nervy which I don't think helps the players. Could really do with the fans getting up for these games.

The managers obsession with three at the back is a bigger threat to us underperforming to be honest. Showed that again tonight. The fans are far from our biggest problem.

3 minutes ago, Chubbychops said:

The managers obsession with three at the back is a bigger threat to us underperforming to be honest. Showed that again tonight. The fans are far from our biggest problem.

Of course. Thankfully I didn't say the fans were the biggest problem. 👍

Turgid affair but it's a result I'd have taken beforehand. Performance was off, maybe too cautious, but it's not anywhere near the levels of the recent 5-0 and 3-0 performances which were just utterly baffling. I'm not too concerned about other teams for now, it's about bringing about our performance levels up so we're competing. 

Just now, AuldReekie said:

I don't disagree. But in case you hadn't noticed, we're pretty shite and barely any better than ICT - an away match on a cold February night is no easy tie, especially after losing Kane, who could really have made a difference. Certainly not defending McPake or any other performances, just pointing out that we've not suddenly turned into a top 4 team overnight. 

Certainly sounds like the performance regressed again which doesn't bode well for the next two fixtures. 

Partick Thistle are better than Inverness. But we actually went out to win that game. The mentality is what I have the issue with, not the quality of players. I never claimed we were even close to being a top 4 team. I just don’t believe that playing for 0-0 against a team below us, that haven’t won at home in over 3 months and are going through an injury crisis is ambitious enough.

Inverness have a threadbare squad, with lots of players injured and others playing through injury. I’ve been reading/hearing Pars fans saying that makes you easy to play against for months now.

I’m frustrated that McPake went back to the 3-5-2 again, for no obvious reason. Frustrated that we just settled for 0-0 there, despite the fact that Inverness aren’t that good, they haven’t won at home for ages and are going through an injury crisis. Start the game fast and get the crowd agitated. You mentioned the atmosphere at east end being nervy, why don’t we try to make home fans nervous when we go away from home? It certainly worked a treat on Friday.

This isn’t a dig at you. I just don’t understand why our manager is making these decisions at all. Playing ok, getting into good areas, almost scored right on half time… nah, let’s go with the tried and failed system.

4 minutes ago, CallumPar said:

This isn’t a dig at you. I just don’t understand why our manager is making these decisions at all. Playing ok, getting into good areas, almost scored right on half time… nah, let’s go with the tried and failed system.

👍 Couldn't agree more. 

Again, I'm not disagreeing with any of that. All I said was that a point away from home isn't a bad result, and was pleasing to see a clean sheet and Mehmet save a penalty. I didn't watch the game so I can only pull positives from the info I have.

19 minutes ago, HoBNob said:

Aye, I'm back to being as annoyed at McPake as I was after the QP game tbh, that was all on him.

Agreed.

Unnecessary changes made us worse after half time. Not the worst manager we've had when you compare him to the laughable managers in recent times but McPake continues to fall short this season.

Dire game from both teams and the referee.

Happy at least to get a clean sheet, been a month without one.

Our next 2 games really will define what our season turns into, likely a scramble to avoid the playoffs but pick up 4 points and things could be looking up. This league is mad.

I watched it on the firestick, fair play to ParsTV it was actually a decent enough stream, clear as day and no buffering/freezing etc.

Missed the first 20 mins or so but from what I seen it was two teams lobbing sh*te at each other. We looked like we were coming on to a game at the end of the first half, Jak rounded the keeper and had to score, although it was probably more down to the good defending.

I was surprised he went for a double sub at half time. Paul Allan was booked and was constantly in the refs ear at every decision. He was going the right way for a second yellow, so when I seen Chalmers warming up I thought that made sense, straight swap. I can't for the life of me work out why he decided to take Summers off as well.

Second half was gash, I don't think either team had any real chances. Matty put one across the face of goal after a run down the right but it looked more like a cross.

Credit to Deniz, good save for the penalty. Thought the defence were good, like the looks of Miles Taylor-Welch when he was at full back, you can see he has that experience and wasn't shy giving out orders. Otoo again the best player on the park. Really missed Kane up front so was pleased to learn he was ill as opposed to injured.

Point definitely the fair result. No team done enough to win the game and we should be the happier of the two with a penalty save and playing away from home. Unfortunately last night the other results went against us, I certainly didn't see Airdrie winning at Tannadice, however I did fully expect Queens to beat Arbroath and thought Ayr might have beat Thistle. Unfortunately between now and the end of the season we're going to have a lot of relying on other teams to do us a turn.

Massive two games now, Ayr have done well since Scott Brown came in and Airdrie with a brilliant result last night, just when you thought they were slipping a wee bit, I think they were 8th at one point last night. COYP!

Penalty decision seems a little harsh and Mckay's spot kick isn't great. The Jakubiak miss is pretty awful. He actually shoots at Devine (I think) instead of the empty net. Bizarre.

Edited by RiG

1 hour ago, The Toun Clock said:

I can't for the life of me work out why he decided to take Summers off as well. 

Didn't watch the game but based on his post-match it sounds like McPake was playing 4d chess against himself for this one.