Smokies v Rovers(Friday telly game)

1 hour ago, chris1883 said:

Scumfermline

51 minutes ago, da_no_1 said:

Oh dear

It’s almost as embarrassing as my childish spat with @Wardy

sorry about that neebur, I was having a brain fart type of day. 

while I remember I also owe @DA Baracusan apology too. 
sorry neebs, I was having a bad day. 

Edited by Wacky

I saw Bobby Linn was part of the tv panel when i caught the end the tv coverage. I'm sure he would have told all those from the BBC that it's only a wee breeze as he knows from experience what poor weather conditions are.

7 hours ago, LargsTON said:

Yeah we almost certainly are but Utd still have to come to Greenock twice and we've taken 4 points from 6 at Tannadice so how things pan out over the next 2 matches will define our season. 

I think there is merit in what you are saying about the start to Morton's season and clearly on an impressive run and stand a good chance of going up through the play offs if they maintain their form. And that is an if. Raith Rovers went on that long unbeaten run but when it stopped they started to drop points all over the shop and Stanton injury also contributed.  But it can also be argued that United's sticky patch has coincided with key players out through injury. Basically the league is decided over a season, not a purple patch and all teams have had their challenges with injuries and sticky periods. Yours was at start, ours has come in 3rd quarter (we only lost 1 game up to the mid point of the season) 

The games at Cappielow will be interesting. Will be different from Tannadice. Our problems have mainly come at home. Away from home we havent lost a league game apart from the late wonder goal at Raith, a game which we largely dominated. 

Sore one to take that last night, like others, really has me questioning whether we have the balls to last the distance. We absolutely crumbled in that second half.

Momentum is a great thing in football at any level, for the first hour or so we were in complete control of that game and probably should have been out of sight in the first half. Then up pop’s the boy Bird with a cracking finish out of nowhere really. This gave the hosts a massive lift. 

Big Kev poor at the equaliser - not commanding enough and it’s as if he jamp straight in the air as opposed to towards the ball allowing McIntosh to nip in. The winner could have been dealt with better, we fail to clear our lines and a fizzed attempt finds Stowe at the back post unmarked (looked offside where I was stood behind the goal and haven’t watched back yet)and he tucks away. 

The wind did appear to pick up a little in the second half and there was wee moment of torrential rain for a minute or two - but that’s no excuse. Arbroath got back into the game and their tails up and we crumbled it’s as simple as that. If Ashcroft and Watson are now gubbed for a few weeks then I fear that’s us gubbed. 

Well done to Arbroath considering the hammering they took during the week, it’s a funny old league and tbh I still think are twists and turns along the way. This result will now have a few at the bottom looking over their shoulder and it means near enough every point is precious at the moment for the whole league with 10 games to play - probably a better scenario for us in honesty, because at the moment us or United don’t look like we want to win it on our own accords. 

10 hours ago, Stardog_champion said:

United will be the worst champions this season. This match tonight proves it. Ian Murray is a fucking shitebag. 

One to file in the bitter category. Not sure how you arrive at that. United have accumulated 9 points more than last season champions at same stage of the season with a +22 better goal difference. And similarly the season before 8 point better off and +21 better goal difference than the champions. The season before that Hearts the runaway champions were on same points but United pip it with a +1 better goal difference. And the season before that a team was way ahead it was  ............. Dundee United.  So Dundee United are the only champions in recent years to be better than Dundee United of this season. 😆

I think you should take credit for the fact Raith have accumulated such a big points total, granted with a far inferior goal difference. 

1 hour ago, Raithfan2711 said:

If only, if only. Rovers haven’t had the same defence from one week to another most weeks and the two centre halves that were in Ian Murray’s plans for seeing out the season a week and a half ago are now injured probably for the season. Every team gets injuries, you don’t know how other teams would have performed without theirs too.

Indeed.  United with and without Docherty are like two completely different teams.  And losing Declan Gallagher midseason wasn’t ideal either. 

1 hour ago, RedLichtie86 said:

Thats the commentators standard chat when at Arbroath. Seen them describe it as windy conditions with the flag over their shoulder in the background not even move an inch.

There was a breeze but it was constant. Not sudden gusts. The rain made the pitch a bit more slippy thats about it.

Scottish football team surprised at having to play in a bit of wind of rain.  If we didn’t play in wind and rain we wouldn’t play at all.

Edited by adamntg

23 minutes ago, arabdelic said:

I think there is merit in what you are saying about the start to Morton's season and clearly on an impressive run and stand a good chance of going up through the play offs if they maintain their form. And that is an if. Raith Rovers went on that long unbeaten run but when it stopped they started to drop points all over the shop and Stanton injury also contributed.  But it can also be argued that United's sticky patch has coincided with key players out through injury. Basically the league is decided over a season, not a purple patch and all teams have had their challenges with injuries and sticky periods. Yours was at start, ours has come in 3rd quarter (we only lost 1 game up to the mid point of the season) 

The games at Cappielow will be interesting. Will be different from Tannadice. Our problems have mainly come at home. Away from home we havent lost a league game apart from the late wonder goal at Raith, a game which we largely dominated. 

Morton fans have lost a fair bit of confidence going forward with the news Oakley, Mullen and Wilson could miss the next few games, with the latter potentially out for the season.   That's more or less the spine of our team gone.  We toil badly without Oakley up top.  

1 minute ago, adamntg said:

What I don’t understand is, if Rovers were struggling, why didn’t they just send Jack Hamilton out to assault the goalkeeper off the ball again?  🤷‍♂️ 

It wasn't off the ball though was it? Lets not add arms and legs here, the ball was shepherded out of play by the keeper during the incident.

I see "the wind" is back, with our team having a mystical ability to play in those weather conditions like its some kind of magic.  So, to help others, here is a definitive guide to playing in the wind:

If the wind is in your favour, take more shots.  Adjust your kicking to take account of the wind speed, and play a faster game.  High balls will be inaccurate, so still pass it along the ground.  Don't take short corners.

If the wind is against you, dont kick it high.  Of course the ball will go backwards if you kick it really high.  Goalies should take it short or be sure to kick it low.  Pass it along the ground and don't shoot or cross too early.  Take some experimental kicks and adjust your power as needed.  Don't just Scott Fox it.

I hope I'm not giving away too many trade secrets.

7 minutes ago, LargsTON said:

Morton fans have lost a fair bit of confidence going forward with the news Oakley, Mullen and Wilson could miss the next few games, with the latter potentially out for the season.   That's more or less the spine of our team gone.  We toil badly without Oakley up top.  

That is a blow. Oakley totally ragdolled our defence at Tannadice. Having said that it wouldn't have happened if our defence hadn't weakened with Gallacher out injured. Key Injuries do affect things. 

Edited by arabdelic

13 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

I see "the wind" is back, with our team having a mystical ability to play in those weather conditions like its some kind of magic.  So, to help others, here is a definitive guide to playing in the wind:

If the wind is in your favour, take more shots.  Adjust your kicking to take account of the wind speed, and play a faster game.  High balls will be inaccurate, so still pass it along the ground.  Don't take short corners.

If the wind is against you, dont kick it high.  Of course the ball will go backwards if you kick it really high.  Goalies should take it short or be sure to kick it low.  Pass it along the ground and don't shoot or cross too early.  Take some experimental kicks and adjust your power as needed.  Don't just Scott Fox it.

What is this sorcery?

15 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

To be clear, I’ve seen most Arbroath teams over the decades completely fail to heed this advice. 

1 hour ago, Wacky said:

It’s almost as embarrassing as my childish spat with @Wardy

sorry about that neebur, I was having a brain fart type of day. 

while I remember I also owe @DA Baracusan apology too. 
sorry neebs, I was having a bad day. 

Eh? What for?

1 hour ago, RedLichtie86 said:

Thats the commentators standard chat when at Arbroath. Seen them describe it as windy conditions with the flag over their shoulder in the background not even move an inch.

There was a breeze but it was constant. Not sudden gusts. The rain made the pitch a bit more slippy thats about it.

Bobby Linn was also saying it was windy and was talking about Arbroath using it to there advantage in the second half, meanwhile the Raith goalkeepers kicks weren't even reaching the half way line circle. 

It's fair to say it was pretty windy. 

12 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Eh? What for?

During my childish meltdown with Wardy I’m sure you asked me to stop as it was getting on yours, and many others tits. I petulantly told you to stop reading if you don’t like it. 
I’m pretty sure it was you?