Aberdeen's Next Permanent Manager - Pantomine Continues - Warnock's Gone

Who will be Aberdeen's latest manager?  

308 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

42 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

That's the way football is going min general though.

Look at the players Brighton seem to find. That's not come about because some bloke is going from game to game in South America.

We'd also not have signed Bojan, Duk and Ramadani.

Aye I do get the impression that the only reason Warnock would have a laptop is to get the online Daily Express, in the event the closest newsagent in Cornwall is a bit too far to walk every day.

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

Didn’t hear what he said but there is a balance and there’s probably a pace of change to consider when you implement it. 

Suspect we’ve gone a bit too far, too quickly down this route, especially in windows where we’ve been overhauling just about an entire team and replacing them with majority data led players. Just a fact of the game that for every bojan there’s a morris, Richardson and gueye who probably show up quite well in certain stats. 

Doesnt help when folk like Goodwin go down a more reliable route and sign Anthony fucking Stewart though. 

TBH, the correct balance is probably Ramadani. He was spotted when we watched Bojan, then they checked the data. Same with Miovski, but vice versa.

I'd imagine Morris showed up well in whatever metrics they used and then we never bothered scouting.

That's nonsense from Warnock, tbh.

Given that he didn't get a window, and wasn't going to get one, I'm not sure what his problem is. It's not like his transfer philosophy was relevant or even slightly going to come into play. He was brought in to get more out of an underperforming squad, and failed to do so. 

He might be implying that the data-first approach has led to a squad that looks ok on paper but which lacks qualities that only an old-school approach can identify and nurture. But how do often do we see players now whose data looks crap but who are actually very effective? 

Tempted to bring in @RandomGuy. at this stage. Genuine question.

2 hours ago, tarapoa said:

Warnock apparently on the radio this morning.

Not too uncomplimentary about the club, but did state that he disagreed on their overreliance on stats/data when it comes to recruiting players.

As I expected. 

A dinosaur who was found out for not being good enough. 

2 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

Given that he didn't get a window, and wasn't going to get one, I'm not sure what his problem is. It's not like his transfer philosophy was relevant or even slightly going to come into play. He was brought in to get more out of an underperforming squad, and failed to do so. 

He might be implying that the data-first approach has led to a squad that looks ok on paper but which lacks qualities that only an old-school approach can identify and nurture. But how do often do we see players now whose data looks crap but who are actually very effective? 

Everyone has their own method of judging players via data so it's hard to really say anything too much about Aberdeens process. I know the way I do it (played position v league/database, weighted by club and possession) definitely sees some shite players look great and some good players look poor though.

CBs in particular are ones I'd rarely if ever really use data to sign, as it's virtually entirely down to how they're used that impacts their data rather than how good they are. If Aberdeen have signed their CBs through data and not done a lot of actual scouting of them then yeah that's just asking for problems for me.

Always thought that ideally you use data as just one of three tools for scouting. You have data, you have watching the player play games, and you have the opinion of others in the game who know their personality. So no matter what of the 3 methods gets a name to you, you then use the other 2 to make sure. As soon as you miss out one then the risk of failure grows higher.

20 hours ago, Sortmeout said:

I am starting to get a little bit worried that Aberdeen might come for McInnes.

I take it that you’re having a laugh.

4 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

I generally find that a quick glance at a player's Wiki and a rough prediction based on that is usually accurate AF. I knew Sofien Moussa was going to be a complete donkey before he'd even kicked a ball, no matter how much Neil McCann tried to hype up his arrival. 

Warnock claiming that he quit Aberdeen because he was, "worried of taking money under false pretences", is a pretty brutal self own.

3 minutes ago, Ric said:

Warnock claiming that he quit Aberdeen because he was, "worried of taking money under false pretences", is a pretty brutal self own.

I read that as him admitting he was doing a bad job (or at least not agood one) and saying that's why he resigned. He seemed a dickhead and a mediocre coach, but i thought that was a fair comment. I have been wrong before. 

15 minutes ago, coprolite said:

I read that as him admitting he was doing a bad job (or at least not agood one) and saying that's why he resigned. He seemed a dickhead and a mediocre coach, but i thought that was a fair comment. I have been wrong before. 

The story was in the Daily Mail, which is totally on brand for Warnock considering his political leanings <_<, but it was behind a firewall so I didn't see the whole story, just the first paragraph.

I think it's now at a Simpson's meme stage, "stop it... he's already dead" when it comes to Aberdeen just now. You are pretty unlikely to get dragged into the relegation zone, albeit how funny that might end up being ;), and you are not making the top 6. You are going to be left in no-man's land with dead rubber games, leaving all the talk to centre on the manager and Cormack.

As an Aberdeen fan I'd be wanting this season over as soon as possible.

2 minutes ago, Ric said:

The story was in the Daily Mail, which is totally on brand for Warnock considering his political leanings <_<, but it was behind a firewall so I didn't see the whole story, just the first paragraph.

I think it's now at a Simpson's meme stage, "stop it... he's already dead" when it comes to Aberdeen just now. You are pretty unlikely to get dragged into the relegation zone, albeit how funny that might end up being ;), and you are not making the top 6. You are going to be left in no-man's land with dead rubber games, leaving all the talk to centre on the manager and Cormack.

As an Aberdeen fan I'd be wanting this season over as soon as possible.

This season's outstayed its welcome by a few months already 

1 minute ago, coprolite said:

This season's outstayed its welcome by a few months already 

Burrows must look a bright light at this moment.

He got a lot of good press while at Motherwell, and he comes across as a fairly even minded guy in the media.

Considering the mess Cormack has gotten into with bad appointment after bad appointment (you could argue Glass, Goodwin and Robson were worth the gamble, I suppose), the idea that he has someone who seems to genuinely understand how to approach and appoint a manager must be a positive.

2 minutes ago, Ric said:

He got a lot of good press while at Motherwell, and he comes across as a fairly even minded guy in the media.

Considering the mess Cormack has gotten into with bad appointment after bad appointment (you could argue Glass, Goodwin and Robson were worth the gamble, I suppose), the idea that he has someone who seems to genuinely understand how to approach and appoint a manager must be a positive.

Tbc. I've been optimistic before and it doesn't always end well. 

4 minutes ago, Ric said:

Reminiscent of Nelms & Keyes with us.

Just now, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Reminiscent of Nelms & Keyes with us.

Got to say, I know nothing of Keyes. I appreciate this is an Aberdeen thread, but which of your managers did he recommend/appoint?

There was some nonsense when Nelms was love bombing Jack Ross but it obviously came to nothing, was that Keyes too?

In terms of recent appointments, you have to be really happy with Docherty. So whoever scouted/recommended/approached should get the credit for that, unless perhaps Docherty actively applied for the job and he more or less fell into Dundee's lap.

4 minutes ago, Ric said:

Got to say, I know nothing of Keyes. I appreciate this is an Aberdeen thread, but which of your managers did he recommend/appoint?

There was some nonsense when Nelms was love bombing Jack Ross but it obviously came to nothing, was that Keyes too?

In terms of recent appointments, you have to be really happy with Docherty. So whoever scouted/recommended/approached should get the credit for that, unless perhaps Docherty actively applied for the job and he more or less fell into Dundee's lap.

Nelms obviously played the main role but Keyes was involved as the financer.

McPake, McIntyre, McGhee and McCann we're really awful.

My understanding is they had little input into the Docherty appointment - it had WGS's fingerprints all over it.

Edited by DeeTillEhDeh

38 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Yeah, I hold him in contempt but…I was saying in here a couple of weeks before he left that he should be reflecting on whether he actually wanted to be here or could make the difference he wanted, and if not he should walk. 

Sounds like that is what he did. But you could argue that if he was in that position after a few weeks then he really should never have taken the job. But it’s on cormack and burrows for not scrutinising that aspect of the appointment.