Open Goal Podcast

1 minute ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

I would imagine Nutmeg and VFTT approached Div asking for a wee corner to themselves, and possibly offering to make it worth his while in some little way.

Beard grooming kit and a WWE subscription, imo.

23 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

I would imagine Nutmeg and VFTT approached Div asking for a wee corner to themselves, and possibly offering to make it worth his while in some little way.

No reason whatsoever that OG could not do the same.

To be housed somewhere south of the juniors forum.

2 hours ago, Arab_R_us said:

so my original question was why dosnt Open Goal have its own section like

a View from the Terrace

Improving Scottish Football

Nutmeg

even thou its about 50 times more popular to normal football fans ?

And the answer would seem to be that P&B posters hate it because of these lower class football plebs that appear on it. Even thou the same lower class plebs actually play the game that the P&B claim to love.

What a special subset of football fans they are. 😀

Have they asked for one?

Wasn't a fan of open goal, it's very old firm centric. I listened to a few interviews and they seemed to revoke around "Some characters in that changing room eh!", don't think it was terribly insightful. I listened to a bit of a podcast that wasn't an interview and by christ it was shite. Slane and Kyle, f**k me. 

I never listened to the podcast version of AVFTT but tried watching the TV show, tried to make it a weekly thing when I lived in England but just gradually stopped watching it. Realised I was recording it just to watch the short films and clips? Which were outstanding, but the actual studio bits I just found a bit grating. Thought that McGuigan and Telfer were good, while Fowler and Sked just weren't. No harm to them though I hope it continues to do well. It also seemed to annoy someone from Open Goal, mightve been Kevin Kyle? So good for them. 

I'm sure the OP is some relation to Mochrie the Dundee Utd player, was all over our thread when we were trying to sign him last season. And while I do agree with him that wrestling is shite, it's still more entertaining than Mochrie. 

3 hours ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

If you were going to make a spurious claim about the kind of person makes up the Open Goal listenership, what would it be?

Mine would be that it’s the kind of guys who think there’s a witch-hunt against David Goodwillie. 

3 hours ago, an86 said:

“I don’t agree wae everything that Andrew Tate says, but…..”

Screenshot_20240319_233810_Reddit.thumb.jpg.8e7003f08a6b8ee89ff1988ca68aa921.jpg

I listen to pretty much every Terrace pod/Patreon, have done for years. TV show isn’t for me though. Just feels like such a departure from the pods and I find it a bit jarring to watch.

It has an audience though, as does Open Goal. Unlike the OP here (Si Ferry), it is possible to just accept people not liking the thing you like. 

10 hours ago, HoBNob said:

Thought that McGuigan and Telfer were good, while Fowler and Sked just weren't.

Largely agree with that. McGuigan is excellent, Telfer does a good job, Sked has grown on me, but Fowler is heading for the People you Dislike for no Real Reason thread. It's like he has an unearned smugness about him, if that makes any sense. Borthwick is good, I enjoy Anderson on it, but maybe he's an only every now and again type, Canavan is usually passable but had an absolute mare the other week.

I think the programme in general is very good. The films are great and break up what would otherwise probably be too much faffing about in the studio. I don't listen to podcasts, so its a good way for me to find out about interesting goings on in other divisions without trawling through dozens of match threads on here. When it comes on after the Championship TV match it makes for a great Friday night of Scottish football to get you excited for a pumping away to Inverness or whatever the next day.

Never seen Open Goal. If it's 70% Old Firm then I doubt it's for me.

10 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

Largely agree with that. McGuigan is excellent, Telfer does a good job, Sked has grown on me, but Fowler is heading for the People you Dislike for no Real Reason thread. It's like he has an unearned smugness about him, if that makes any sense. Borthwick is good, I enjoy Anderson on it, but maybe he's an only every now and again type, Canavan is usually passable but had an absolute mare the other week.

Borthwick is the guy that would come on for what was happening on twitter etc? Aye he was good. Any criticism I have is likely a few years out of date but that description of Fowler is the nail on the head. He didn't do anything outright wrong "People you dislike for no real reason" is spot on tbf. 

14 hours ago, Alert Mongoose said:

He does have a conviction for drink driving though tbf.

If my memory serves me correctly.

Andy Robertson has a conviction for drink driving?

Getting back to the OP's question the section is for the TV show and was introduced for reaction and call outs for features in the show. Looking at the first page of the section it doesn't seem to mention the podcast.

If it's just the Open Goal podcast you want to discuss then I don't think that needs it's own section on the forum as there probably wouldn't be enough in it to constantly make new topics, this one you've started should do.   

I've never listened to Open Goal but, as others have said, if it's all about the OF then I doubt it would be for me.  I can just listen to Sportsound if I want that.  The whole nonsense with Broomhill really put me off them too. 

I've watched AVFTT a few times and usually enjoy it.  I do like to watch programmes about Scottish Football that don't concentrate on just 2 teams though.  I also like the lower league podcast and try to listen most weeks.

The OP really seems to have an issue with this and is clearly an OG fanboy.   He also really seems to have an issue with beards and people who went to uni.....

To be clear, I grew up in a single parent household in a fairly dodgy area of Glenrothes so would definitely consider myself as coming from a working class background (I have a good job and live in a nice house now so may very well be middle class now I suppose).  I only went to uni because I'm an old git and there were no fees and you could still get a grant back then.  I have a beard (only because I'm too lazy to shave) but don't like wrestling.

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, pthardie said:

Getting back to the OP's question the section is for the TV show and was introduced for reaction and call outs for features in the show. Looking at the first page of the section it doesn't seem to mention the podcast.

If it's just the Open Goal podcast you want to discuss then I don't think that needs it's own section on the forum as there probably wouldn't be enough in it to constantly make new topics, this one you've started should do.   

given how much it seems to be hated by the Bearded Middleclass elite I think I'll just leave it there 😀 I'm sure with over 100k subscribers they wont give a f**k whats said on here about them.

Edited by Arab_R_us