United 🟠 v Rovers 🔵 - the final top of the table clash

Just back in from the game.  That was all on Murray, he did a McGlynn and made a mental change to his team in a big game.  The whole season has been us having Byrne, Brown or Matthews in that role in front of the defence, going with Turner instead was crazy.  We never got a hold of the midfield at any point as a result and Utd looked pretty comfortable the entire game.  I was hoping we'd get to half time still at 1-0 and make changes, but Murray kept it the exact same even though it was clear it wasn't working.  Did the Utd keeper have to actually do anything in the second half?

Not going to say that's it over as both teams have made a habit of arsing it up so who knows what'll happen.  But there's not really any room for error on our side now, need to get 9 points out the next 3 home games and see what happens.

Edited by SanStarko

14 minutes ago, North West said:

Interesting. 

GJ7x9jkWgAABVPt.jpeg

Posting that without context..

From a United twitter account taking the piss saying where's the cartoon this weekend is top shithousery and you know it.

We were absolutely terrible today. Fair play to Utd who played that game perfectly without needing to get out of 2nd gear. Physically very good, picked up every 2nd ball and moped up everything at the the back. Just out of curiosity but did Ruddens shot hit the bar or did the keeper save it? Looked some effort. 

Will be interesting to see if Utd plow on now and if we can dust ourselves down and see what happens. 

No complaints, beaten by a better team, Utd looked hungrier and wanted it more.

By no means the league decider but the ball is now firmly in Utd's court, massive odds on to take the title.

8 minutes ago, North West said:

Are you actually mental?

No but starting to think you might be with your obsession over our social media. You've been rattled for months now. Away you go celebrate beating Arbroath like a good wee lad.

15 minutes ago, Raithie said:

We were absolutely terrible today. Fair play to Utd who played that game perfectly without needing to get out of 2nd gear. Physically very good, picked up every 2nd ball and moped up everything at the the back. Just out of curiosity but did Ruddens shot hit the bar or did the keeper save it? Looked some effort. 

Will be interesting to see if Utd plow on now and if we can dust ourselves down and see what happens. 

It hit the top of the bar

I did feel that today was the first time in the 4 meetings this season where there was a considerable gap between the sides.  The main difference was the hunger and desire, United absolutely bullied us today.  I think our points total in those games, and in general this season is pretty generous - but I was really surprised and disappointed at how far off it we were.

Really disappointed with some of the fans today.  Saw coins being thrown at Watt after the goal, and there was a lad behind me who was happy to boast at being a Dundee fan.  The fact someone like him got a ticket today and some Rovers fan didnt, is poor show.  

It's not over by any means - I don't doubt the possibility of Utd dropping points in the run in - but its asking a lot for that Rovers side to go on a consistent winning run I think.  Failure to take advantage of Utd dropping points to Morton, Partick and Dunfermline in recent weeks is ultimately our undoing I fear.

Edited by CALDERON

3 minutes ago, CountryBumpkin said:

No but starting to think you might be with your obsession over our social media. You've been rattled for months now. Away you go celebrate beating Arbroath like a good wee lad.

😆 you're raging. I can sense it. Dunno what it is, but it's there.

30 minutes ago, chris1883 said:

IM got that team wrong. Hindsight is a wonderful thing though, and in all honesty I probably would have went for something similar before the game. At 1-0 I was expecting a better second half, but alas it didn't really happen. 

I said before today that I expect points to be dropped on both sides on the run-in. Season isn't over, so we need to re-group, remember all the positives from the season and move on.

Don't agree about hindsight being a wonderful thing. Anyone who’s seen us in the last few months must surely know that Hamilton is far better at holding the ball up, which is what you need in this scenario. That’s foresight, as is not playing Kyle Turner as a six. Mind boggling. 

In fairness, we could have started Shaun Byrne and Jack Hamilton and still lost, but there’s no chance we’d have been worse than we were today.

To not lay a glove on a team which has been struggling for weeks is a massive opportunity lost. 

Just now, CALDERON said:

I did feel that today was the first time in the 4 meetings this season where there was a considerable gap between the sides.  The main difference was the hunger and desire, United absolutely bullied us today.  I think our points total in those games, and in general this season is pretty generous - but I was really surprised and disappointed at how far off it we were today.

Really disappointed with some of the fans today.  Saw coins being thrown at Watt after the goal, and there was a lad behind me who was happy to boast at being a Dundee fan.  The fact someone like him got a ticket today and some Rovers fan didnt, is poor show.  

It's not over by any means - I don't doubt the possibility of Utd dropping points in the run in - but its asking a lot for that Rovers side to go on a consistent winning run I think.

I know folk like to wind up rivals, we are all guilty of it and let's face it it can be fun!!! But to spend money on a ticket in the away end to watch your rivals hopefully lose, on a day your own team is only 20 odd miles up the road is pretty sad.

2 minutes ago, McGuigan1978 said:

Don't agree about hindsight being a wonderful thing. Anyone who’s seen us in the last few months must surely know that Hamilton is far better at holding the ball up, which is what you need in this scenario. That’s foresight, as is not playing Kyle Turner as a six. Mind boggling. 

In fairness, we could have started Shaun Byrne and Jack Hamilton and still lost, but there’s no chance we’d have been worse than we were today.

To not lay a glove on a team which has been struggling for weeks is a massive opportunity lost. 

Aye, most folk around us and on here called that team selection out at 2pm as being not good enough - and that transpired throughout the entire game.

I think Utd would still have probably won that, they were far better on the day, but its another opportunity that has needlessly been thrown in the bucket.

Said before the game there was huge Charlie Cowie vibes about that back line United had. You see their line up and think it's a prime opportunity only for us to barely test it. 

The line up didn't work at all, and that's at Murray's feet. We've effectively spent the second half of the season with a body in Dylan Corr who out manager deems not good enough but gets kept around. Obviously we got horrifically unlucky with Ashcroft but overall we've been let down by rigidity today. 

Turner as a 6 hasn't really worked, and it's a disappointment we dropped Matthews to shoehorn in another 10. 

Time to reset next week against an Ayr side desperate for a win.

Comfortably beaten, no complaints at all. Had a sneaking suspicion all week that the whole rattled pish would backfire on us and so it proved. Team selection was bizarre and poor performances all over the field never really give us a chance. Think United neutralised our threats effectively with Stanton hardly contributing at all. Still not a done deal so we need to just keep going, especially to secure second place. 

And the c**t that threw a bottle. Please f**k off. 

All I can say about the penalty is that I was too busy laughing at Moult’s claim to notice the ref pointing to the spot.

That said, Raith were mince and didn’t deserve anything.

Little said about the opening goal = was a cracker.