Dundee v Motherwell - 6th April

Just now, Alert Mongoose said:

Surely not? If they are that bothered about making it a punishment just play in front of fans and make the proceeds go to charity.*

*or the Championship prize money pool.

Punishment would be having to watch United.

22 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I feel like this Airdrie thing will have been an idea chucked out there at some point by someone in a meeting that has then been seized upon and has grown arms and legs

The idea seems to have been communicated by the league to our new CEO - so it's not paper talk or anything like that..

21 minutes ago, Swello said:

The idea seems to have been communicated by the league to our new CEO - so it's not paper talk or anything like that..

But again, was it put down as the only option or thrown out as a possible idea? It would certainly be in the new CEO's interest to have a topic where he can immediately come out and stand up for your fans.

1 hour ago, Black_and_White_Stripes said:

I don't understand why Motherwell are so annoyed by this? Surely it's better for them that the tie be played locally, at a neutral venue and with no fans there, than if it was played at  Dens Park? 

I can appreciate you have some supporters that literally attend every game, but surely Well would not look a gift horse in the mouth?

Nah, if we were due to play at Dens this weekend I'd be absolutely raging if we couldnt go because of Dundee's shite pitch, and then had to check updates on here on Monday afternoon while we're all at work.

If the SPFL want to make us miserable it should be by us losing to a last minute VAR awarded penalty that never was.

2 hours ago, santheman said:

Has there ever been an SPL league game played behind closed doors (outwith the covid seasons of course) or would this be a first.

It wouldn't be a first since the SPL doesn't exist and hasn't for over a decade.

56 minutes ago, Swello said:

It's a genuinely bizarre suggestion that wouldn't even be dreamt of if/when the Dundee-Rangers game is called off - no wonder Caldwell has said we're not doing it. It's all the more bizarre as Almondvale is set up for Premiership games (assuming a plastic pitch is the criteria here) - Starks or East End (plastic, right?) on Sunday would be far more logical than Airdrie of all places if lower division grounds are under consideration.

I am/was planning to head up tomorrow - but I'd imagine a lot of folk  will just give it a miss due to the uncertainty..

Our pitch is knackered enough without two games in a row during a rainy weekend.

11 hours ago, craigkillie said:

What on earth do Sky have to do with this? If Dundee are required to play two games in three days, then it will be almost entirely down to Dundee having an unsuitable pitch. Teams who have fixture backlogs will always end up having to do this - we'll see it happen in the Highland League and no doubt in the West of Scotland too, which is where the clubs with similar standard pitches to Dens are found.

It will be entirely the fault of the SPFL who failed in their job to play the Dundee v Rangers match on the first available date, Tuesday 2nd April, due to fawning over Rangers and not wanting to schedule a Rangers match in the week leading up to them playing Celtic.

4 minutes ago, CoF said:

16 pages (so far) about wet grass. 

You might expect this after an exciting/controversial/VAR-ridden encounter with loads of goals and a couple of sending offs, but this one doesn't even kick off until tomorrow (fingers crossed!)

The Rangers v Motherwell thread last month ran to 17 pages, but that was after our first Ibrox league win in 27 years, and it also included ten pages of the currants greeting about what they claimed was the worst tackle since Harald Schumacher in 1982.

56 minutes ago, Hendo said:

Nah, if we were due to play at Dens this weekend I'd be absolutely raging if we couldnt go because of Dundee's shite pitch, and then had to check updates on here on Monday afternoon while we're all at work.

If the SPFL want to make us miserable it should be by us losing to a last minute VAR awarded penalty that never was.

It's all about perspective, I suppose. I was at the 4-0 defeat at Dens earlier this season. If it removed their home advantage and thus was likely to yield more points for us I'd be delighted! Saying that, I don't attend many away games (Ibrox, Fir Park x 2, Dens Park, & Celtic Park next weekend, is my lot this year, so far).

Quite incredible that the powers that be are looking at playing a game which is meaningful for both teams behind closed doors.   That's the way to grow the game.  Of course our old friend 'sporting integrity' means that it is better for all meaningful games in the last round pre split to start at the same time.  However, one game was arranged for Sunday ages ago.  If County had gone on a great run and could conceivably hit top 6 would that have been moved back to 3pm on Saturday 🤔

48 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

It will be entirely the fault of the SPFL who failed in their job to play the Dundee v Rangers match on the first available date, Tuesday 2nd April, due to fawning over Rangers and not wanting to schedule a Rangers match in the week leading up to them playing Celtic.

How many times does it need pointed out that there is no such rule that dictates it needs to be played on the first available date?

Think it's quite telling that Dundee and Motherwell fans are the most lighthearted in this thread and on social media and seeing it as what will be, will be meanwhile Rangers, Hibs (Understandably considering the circumstances - but not including the good guys on here) and bizarrely, Kilmarnock fans that seem to be getting the most upset about it all.

8 minutes ago, AJF said:

How many times does it need pointed out that there is no such rule that dictates it needs to be played on the first available date?

Agreed there is no rule but given the risk of bad weather common sense dictates that the game is scheduled for the first available date.  There are lots of examples of diddy teams being forced to play games ASAP.

17 minutes ago, AJF said:

If you can't see an inconsistency in the SPFL not scheduling Dundee v Rangers for the first available date, and them seriously considering playing a game on a Monday afternoon at a neutral venue behind closed doors to get all fixtures played before the split, then there really is no hope. 

Edited by The Master

5 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

And as I said, Motherwell were fined multiple times for it and escaped the other two sanctions entirely because they spent a fortune on it each Summer and allowed the authorities full access to the work being done.

You're not going to escape punishment if nothing is seriously done this Summer to resolve it, and do you think your owners are spending £500k+ on the pitch at this stage?

Were we? I have absolutely no recollection of Motherwell being fined for postponed games. Our pitch was in a dreadful state and we did what we could to sort it but realistically the only time to have a meaningful  go at fixing it is in the summer (which we did). If Dundee have similar problems next season then fair enough, hammer then with fines.

Anyway, we don't normally have this number of pages unless we're playing St. Mirren, let's see tomorrow if there's actually anything to even worry about. 

Edited by Archie McSquackle

1 hour ago, kingjoey said:

It isn't actually the SPFL's job to play every single game on the earliest available date, otherwise the season would already be finished.

1 hour ago, Doctor Manhattan said:

You might expect this after an exciting/controversial/VAR-ridden encounter with loads of goals and a couple of sending offs, but this one doesn't even kick off until tomorrow (fingers crossed!)

The Rangers v Motherwell thread last month ran to 17 pages, but that was after our first Ibrox league win in 27 years, and it also included ten pages of the currants greeting about what they claimed was the worst tackle since Harald Schumacher in 1982.

Wait till the late postponement, rearranged fixture, arguments about playing a closed door match, playing the game and fucking VAR.

This thread will let @Div build an extension on his jacuzzi.