The Scottish Junior Cup Semi Finals

46 minutes ago, BurghLoyal said:

Official number was about 1300, could’ve been a lot more though.

"was about" 1300 - that doesn't sound very official. There should be an exact figure somewhere that is being reported to the SJFA as they need to know how their 60% share was arrived at. Why do the SJFA never release the reported attendance figures? They should have them for all games in this competition.

10 minutes ago, 93glens17 said:

Aye, good crowd 

Why would anybody want to get rid of the junior cup, unless yer a Wankies fan of course 🤔

I'm becoming convinced many of them don't know themselves and just toe the party line on the topic. 

there will likely be about 6k over the four semi-final games - a healthy figure that you will seldom anywhere else at non-league level. 

Initial thoughts on the game, Arthurlie started brighter and lead with a cracking half volley from Mark Docherty. Game became quite scrappy after that until Burgh had a period of dominance that started by Graham Black denying Kyle Lafferty with a top save. Burgh got their equaliser not long after after Layden, for some explicable reason pulled the Burgh player back in the box, with Lafferty converting. I expected Burgh to push on but they didn't and the game went in level at the break.

2nd half and this time it was Burgh who started the better but without creating many clear cut chances. Arthurlie went back in front with a fine goal from left back Connor Bradley who rode a couple of challenges before curling home, almost immediately Burgh should have levelled when Stuart McCann was denied by Black. Burgh started to dominate and levelled after a good run by McDonald was finished by our ex player Dale Simeon (fair play for not celebrating). We had a glorious chance at the end when Max Kerr went through but he chose the wrong option of trying to find Dykes rather than shooting.

Our habit of conceding poor goals continues as both goals were preventable. It now becomes a 1 off game at Kennie Park next week.

A great crowd and atmosphere.

24 minutes ago, Thejackdaw said:

I remember going to love street 1997/1998 arthurlie v kilwinning rangers and it was 6,000 for that semi final alone.

Was thinking similar earlier on. I was at both semi finals in 1994. Kilwinning must have had around 5K of the 6,151 that were at Somerset v Largs. In the other semi final, Arthurlie had the bulk of the 7,192 crowd against Glenafton.

I did wonder at the time what size a crowd an Arthurlie v Kilwinning final would have had. Although there was a healthy 8,668 at Ibrox for Largs/Glenafton.

5 minutes ago, theesel1994 said:

Was thinking similar earlier on. I was at both semi finals in 1994. Kilwinning must have had around 5K of the 6,151 that were at Somerset v Largs. In the other semi final, Arthurlie had the bulk of the 7,192 crowd against Glenafton.

I did wonder at the time what size a crowd an Arthurlie v Kilwinning final would have had. Although there was a healthy 8,668 at Ibrox for Largs/Glenafton.

Totally agree mate and that's when the Scottish was the Scottish when it was all In with the top East teams In it ,now it's just a diluted west cup in my opinion. 

Official attendance 1313 according to Arthurlie’s twitter. I thought it looked a wee bit more but hard to tell.

Draw a fair result and keeps the tie alive for next Saturday.

3 minutes ago, Thejackdaw said:

Totally agree mate and that's when the Scottish was the Scottish when it was all In with the top East teams In it ,now it's just a diluted west cup in my opinion. 

I tend to agree although not sure a WOS cup semi final would get the attendances that the games got this weekend. I know the attendance was given as 1313, but it would be higher by a couple of hundred imo given kids U12 went free and they were swarming the pitch at HT.

51 minutes ago, Arthurlie1981 said:

I tend to agree although not sure a WOS cup semi final would get the attendances that the games got this weekend. I know the attendance was given as 1313, but it would be higher by a couple of hundred imo given kids U12 went free and they were swarming the pitch at HT.

Im starting to feel like a broken record with this  but I don't feel like my question is being answered properly. And I'm not anti SJC.

Why if the same 4 teams were in the semis of the SJC and the WOSFL Cup would the attendances be higher at the SJC games and don't give me its the history crap and I'm not a Junior man. A good game of football is a good game of football no matter the competition. 

I'm not aiming this at you a1981, it's just your comment got me thinking. Answers from anyone please, I genuinely want to understand why?

28 minutes ago, An Absolute Imposter said:

Im starting to feel like a broken record with this  but I don't feel like my question is being answered properly. And I'm not anti SJC.

Why if the same 4 teams were in the semis of the SJC and the WOSFL Cup would the attendances be higher at the SJC games and don't give me its the history crap and I'm not a Junior man. A good game of football is a good game of football no matter the competition. 

I'm not aiming this at you a1981, it's just your comment got me thinking. Answers from anyone please, I genuinely want to understand why?

Not wanting to turn this into another thread of 2 sides from entrenched positions calling each other wrong but I will make a couple of points. 

1. In answer to your question, I think (and you are not going to like this) for some it is the history of the competition and the recognition it currently has. There were people who I have not seen at an Arthurlie game today in years. Also some who were there from both sets will not know of what changes have happened in the past 5 years with the East teams leaving and frankly probably wouldn't care and only saw "Scottish Junior Cup Semi Final".

2. As someone who can count on 1 hand the games I have missed this season I firmly believe that even if you say the crowd was 45% each teams support and 10% neutrals that is still more than treble what our normal home support is. In the old WOS we went to Meadow Park for the Semi and the crowd was lucky to be over 500 and the final that year at Newlandsfield between us and Kilwinning was not much higher. 

At our last AGM, I proposed that Arthurlie resign their membership of the SJFA and play in the Strathclyde Demolition Cup as I felt the rewards were better. I still believe that to be the case, but today showed me there's still some interest in the old cup yet.

29 minutes ago, Arthurlie1981 said:

Not wanting to turn this into another thread of 2 sides from entrenched positions calling each other wrong but I will make a couple of points. 

1. In answer to your question, I think (and you are not going to like this) for some it is the history of the competition and the recognition it currently has. There were people who I have not seen at an Arthurlie game today in years. Also some who were there from both sets will not know of what changes have happened in the past 5 years with the East teams leaving and frankly probably wouldn't care and only saw "Scottish Junior Cup Semi Final".

2. As someone who can count on 1 hand the games I have missed this season I firmly believe that even if you say the crowd was 45% each teams support and 10% neutrals that is still more than treble what our normal home support is. In the old WOS we went to Meadow Park for the Semi and the crowd was lucky to be over 500 and the final that year at Newlandsfield between us and Kilwinning was not much higher. 

At our last AGM, I proposed that Arthurlie resign their membership of the SJFA and play in the Strathclyde Demolition Cup as I felt the rewards were better. I still believe that to be the case, but today showed me there's still some interest in the old cup yet.

I now know what annoys me. I like to think I am a pure football fan, in that I just love watching a game of live football no matter the teams or occasion. So I guess I just get annoyed at the 'big game' fans who turn up at this type of game and actually have little knowledge or insight to what is taking place in front of them. They just like to say they were at this SJC game.

It would be nice if some of them get bitten by the non-league bug and started attending games more regularly. Oh well at least the clubs get some financial reward from it, which is good.

My family are always calling me a drink snob, a music snob etc. So I must be a football snob too. 

Thanks for answering truthfully as always. I'm not an advocate of binning the SJC, it has its place in the non-league setup.