🔴🟡Thistle vs Ayr United⚫️⚪️ - 27th April 2024

After a great result yesterday I am hoping we can pick up another three points here. Having some good momentum going into the playoffs could be important and victory would hopefully all but tie up 3rd place.

So far a win for each team and a draw between the sides this season, a 4-0, 2-2 and 4-3, you can at least say the games have not been boring.

I think Graham has scored in all 3 so far. He will be desperate to score in this one too, repeating what he has already done against Dunfermline. Ayr aren’t quite safe yet, although a point might be enough. We will know if a point is all we need to secure 3rd spot before the game starts thanks to Airdrie playing Dundee Utd on Friday night. However, listening to Doolan, I don’t think he wants to take the foot off the gas. 

Would take a point here which should be enough to get over the line, obviously with Graham to score for Partick against us like he always does.

Clarke 

Stanger Sanders McGinty Musonda

Amartey Dempsey McHugh Murphy

McKenzie Willoughby

With Dowds unable to play and McAllister suspended the team pretty much picks itself imo. Only real debate is Chalmers over Amartey but Chalmers would be much better coming on as a sub.

3 minutes ago, I Clavdivs said:

If Airdire get pumped on Friday night I  would be tempted to protect key players and give the youngsters a bit more match time in prep for the playoffs .

Absolutely this. I don't even think a pumping is in order, a defeat by 2 goals and I'd be comfortable. Strangely I just don't see us losing on Saturday 

9 minutes ago, I Clavdivs said:

If Airdire get pumped on Friday night I  would be tempted to protect key players and give the youngsters a bit more match time in prep for the playoffs .

We might do that (at least a bit) at Tannadice, but I think Doolan goes strong for this game regardless of what Airdrie do on Friday. 

5 minutes ago, I Clavdivs said:

It’s a tough call. He won’t want to give up the winning run at Firhill before the playoffs start. Like last season, we were unbeaten in 5 at Firhill going into the playoffs. It might be an opportunity to give O’Reilly some more time. Having got the defence and attack working together for the first time this quarter, we should give it another shot without messing with it too much.

I would be tempted to give Muirhead a rest and get O’Reilly a bit more match sharpness for the playoffs. It’s going to be a gruelling schedule, and we need as many players up to speed as possible. He also looked pretty good when he came on yesterday.

Only other question mark is the extent of Stanway’s knock that forced him off yesterday. If he’s out for this, then the question is either Bannigan in a straight swap or move McInroy back and put MacKenzie in. 

36 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

I would be tempted to give Muirhead a rest and get O’Reilly a bit more match sharpness for the playoffs. It’s going to be a gruelling schedule, and we need as many players up to speed as possible. He also looked pretty good when he came on yesterday.

Only other question mark is the extent of Stanway’s knock that forced him off yesterday. If he’s out for this, then the question is either Bannigan in a straight swap or move McInroy back and put MacKenzie in. 

Stanway looked OK when coming off yesterday so hoping it's just precaution from the physio and nothing too bad .We really need his vim and vigour in midfield if we are to progress. 

Surely you need to rest up some players for the playoffs?

Last year you had momentum and then some and then fucked it at the last leg.

I would be saying the same were it not us you were playing 👀

15 minutes ago, AUFC 1910 said:

Surely you need to rest up some players for the playoffs?

Last year you had momentum and then some and then fucked it at the last leg.

I would be saying the same were it not us you were playing 👀

I think understandably other clubs fans don’t remember that we got into the playoffs on goal difference only last season. We only won one of our last 4 games. The momentum only built in the playoffs.

8 hours ago, GuyIncognito said:

Would take a point here which should be enough to get over the line, obviously with Graham to score for Partick against us like he always does.

Clarke 

Stanger Sanders McGinty Musonda

Amartey Dempsey McHugh Murphy

McKenzie Willoughby

With Dowds unable to play and McAllister suspended the team pretty much picks itself imo. Only real debate is Chalmers over Amartey but Chalmers would be much better coming on as a sub.

Wouldn't be at all surprised if Bryden starts RM

Yes i know..

Need someone who's going to track back and help Stanger from the onslaught of Lawless or Fitzpatrick which Chalmers isn't going to do, Amartay might do it but not convinced it would be well enough to Brown's liking.

I think even if Airdrie lose to DU on Friday which would realistically confirm us as 3rd given our GD advantage, we'll start this game with our strongest team available, but depending on how it's going the likes of Graham and Fitzpatrick might only play 60 minutes or so. 

The argument for resting players in this game and not at Tannadice would be if we played a shadow team on the last day and got thumped then does it affect the team morale going into the playoffs? You can argue these things either way, probably one of those situations where the result vs Airdrie means we've done the right thing if we win and wrong thing if we lose regardless of what option we take.

I agree with playing O'Reilly ahead of Muirhead to get him some game time as well

7 minutes ago, Rb123 said:

Yes i know..

Need someone who's going to track back and help Stanger from the onslaught of Lawless or Fitzpatrick which Chalmers isn't going to do, Amartay might do it but not convinced it would be well enough to Brown's liking.

To be fair Bryden started wide right in the home game v Partick under Brown and put in a decent shift, although I'd rather have Amartey there over him or Chalmers as I do think he strikes a balance of tracking back and attacking threat that the other 2 don't.

31 minutes ago, Rb123 said:

Yes i know..

Lawless is out for the best part of a year with a ruptured achilles.

Regardless of who gets played or who gets rested, I hope it’s a decent game, in the sunshine, with a nice big crowd and what will be will be.

As far as other results are concerned, I hope and pray that they pan out with us not needing a win on the last day 👀

9 hours ago, Rb123 said:

If you need help coping with Lawless, you're in real deep doo-doo.

I would echo most on here. One eye on the Friday night game before making the final decision on team. If airdrie lose by 2 or more I would rest Muirhead, fitzy and Graham. Bring in Ngwenya, O’reilly and Diack. Keep the rest of the team the same. If airdrie get a result then strongest team either way. I fancy us for this one and If graham plays I’m confident he’ll score. As for united final game I agree I don’t like the idea of changing the whole team and potentially getting pumped. But I would take the risk anyway and make as many changes as our squad size allowed without chucking in any youngsters with no previous first team experience(apart from very late on at most). Hopefully united will do similar and will be in party mood and won’t be arsed in equal measure. 2-0 Thistle, Graham and McInroy the scorers.