Dumbarton vs Stirling, Stirling vs Dumbarton

Who goes through?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Who goes through?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/05/24 at 18:45

1 minute ago, Nowhereman said:

You seriously thought that was comfortable? First half was decent as we took the game to Stirling when we had the ball. Second half it appeared the instructions were to hold out which I just don’t get. We had shown we could threaten yet in the second half made little attempt to attack and when we did our decision making was poor. Can’t help feeling that we got through as a result of Stirling’s failings rather than our own positives. No idea how the final will pan out but please don’t try and shitfest our way to a win 

Yep, pretty comfortable. Don’t think Hogarth had a save of note to make. Stirling didn’t look like scoring. It was tense and nervy in the second half while it was 0-0, but I never felt we weren’t going to do it tbh.

Delighted we got there in the end and reckon we just about deserved it over the two legs.

Interestingly, if in the first leg Stirling had shown more of the attacking intent evident in today's second half, rather than thuggish disruption tactics, then they might be looking forward to a final next week. That's on their manager tbh. 

A word on Forthbank - it remains the model lower league football ground, with a gem of a pitch. What Dumbarton would do for a setup like that.

We should've put the tie to bed in the first half with the Wilson chance and when Gray didn't/wouldn't pass to either side when we had 3 v 2. It got tenser as the 2nd half wore on, to the point where I was having Alloa 2018 flashbacks. Delighted to get there though. 

Commiserations to the Stirling folk on here. We were in your position two years ago and it isn't nice.

8 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

Yep, pretty comfortable. Don’t think Hogarth had a save of note to make. Stirling didn’t look like scoring. It was tense and nervy in the second half while it was 0-0, but I never felt we weren’t going to do it tbh.

Neither did I mate. One blown effort in the first half and not one shot on target in the second. Oh well, you know the story with yoyos. Soon as they get up, they spin their way back down again.  A beautiful afternoon for it.  What a difference a year makes eh?

3 minutes ago, microdave said:

We should've put the tie to bed in the first half with the Wilson chance and when Gray didn't/wouldn't pass to either side when we had 3 v 2. It got tenser as the 2nd half wore on, to the point where I was having Alloa 2018 flashbacks. Delighted to get there though. 

Commiserations to the Stirling folk on here. We were in your position two years ago and it isn't nice.

He’s so frustrating. Also did it in the second half.

14 minutes ago, WC Boggs said:

Neither did I mate. One blown effort in the first half and not one shot on target in the second. Oh well, you know the story with yoyos. Soon as they get up, they spin their way back down again.  A beautiful afternoon for it.  What a difference a year makes eh?

It’s just shite being the potential relegation side in the playoffs. It’s not a fun experience at all. The only way to go into them on a positive is if you’ve managed to avoid 10th (like Alloa once did by leapfrogging us).

35 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Considering I was as flat a stale fart at 2.45pm when I learned that Hilton has done his hamstring I was delighted that we got through that today.  But that second half aged every Sons fan about 10 years, and we will need to show a whole lot more attacking intent and composure against Spartans.

The Binos looked like a team haunted by their inability to score and that in turn piled pressure on themselves - even the lad who hit the outside of the post (when he should have scored) seemed to scuff his shot as if paralysed by fear.

On the plus side we had a few decent performances and none more so than Gallagher Lennon whose calm defending belied his years.  And special mention to Mikey Ruth who took a second battering in five days.

Onwards to Tuesday evening.

Ruth took a lot of punishment. It's to his credit that he didnt return the attention and elbow himself into trouble with the ref.

I thought Lennon was the best player in a Sons jersey today. Work rate was excellent and his defensive awareness was very good.

3 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

It’s just shite being the potential relegation side in the playoffs. It’s not a fun experience at all. The only way to go into them on a positive is if you’ve managed to avoid 10th (like Alloa once did by leapfrogging us).

Enjoy the moment you earned it and the stark truth is we earned ours.  It's not like we're going anywhere we haven't been before.

1 hour ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Considering I was as flat a stale fart at 2.45pm when I learned that Hilton has done his hamstring I was delighted that we got through that today.  But that second half aged every Sons fan about 10 years, and we will need to show a whole lot more attacking intent and composure against Spartans.

The Binos looked like a team haunted by their inability to score and that in turn piled pressure on themselves - even the lad who hit the outside of the post (when he should have scored) seemed to scuff his shot as if paralysed by fear.

On the plus side we had a few decent performances and none more so than Gallagher Lennon whose calm defending belied his years.  And special mention to Mikey Ruth who took a second battering in five days.

Onwards to Tuesday evening.

..and you got to chat to @Boghead ranter on the way out 😉

Posted (edited)

As I said earlier, over the two legs I think we just about edged it. But there's a fag paper between the two sides. Absolutely nothing in it at all, and I reckon we could play each other every week for another few months and no team would win by more than the odd goal.

That was very much a game of two halves. In the first I thought we were the better team by some distance. We played some good stuff, looked a threat, dominated the midfield and really should've scored a few times. The only real scare was when we didn't defend a corner, Dale Carrick sclaffed an effort and Kyle Banner fresh air swiped when it looked easier to score. 

We played with a cracking intensity and that nullified everything about the Binos. A mixture of our performance and Josh McPake's injury basically deflated the crowd before there was any chance for them to get a right good atmosphere going.

In the second-half it was a bit of a role reversal. Stirling were crying out for Jack Leitch, and he was superb for the first 15/20 minutes of the second half. Dictating the play for wave after wave of attack. The only thing was, for all the players they had in decent areas, only a Rudi Molotnikov effort that hit the post looked remotely dangerous. Across the two legs Jay Hogarth has had next to nothing to do saves wise. Although I thought he was very assured this afternoon in his general play. 

After the game I said to my Binos covering pal that I don't remember ever seeing a team quite as shit at shooting. As in, nobody in red really seemed capable of kicking a ball with any power or accuracy at goal. It was bizarre. Dale Carrick, Dale Hilson, Greig Spence on the park. And not one looked like they could actually shoot.

As the half wore on I grew more confident we'd see it out. The Binos fell into the trap we often do chasing a game. And piled bodies forward with no real gameplan. And every high ball was dealt with by Mark Durnan and Sean Crighton. Comfortable is too strong when you're a goal ahead. But it wasn't uncomfortable, although the second-half lasted about 11 days I'm sure.

In terms of performers, I don't think anyone let us down. Michael Ruth's shift was absolutely outstanding as per usual. His all round game is terrific and I hope he goes on to enjoy a long and successful full-time career when he moves on. Because he has all the attributes you want in a lone striker.

But I want to focus on Gallagher Lennon. I can't even remember seeing a loan player go from lost wee boy to standout performer in such a short period of time. His composure on the ball in a really high pressure (and frantic at times) game today was levels above. He looks to have learned to adapt his game around his lack of pace. He's a lot fitter than he was when he came in. He's organising folk around him. It's great to see. 

Regardless of what division we're in, I'd like to have him back next season. He's looked good at CB and LB and I think he could even do a job in central midfield. He's so good on the ball. I didn't think I'd be saying any of that a few months ago.

Spartans will be what it is. They have impressed me this season. But they don't scare me. Nobody we could've faced does. I think this side is as good as anyone we could've faced and they should go into next week full of confidence and excitement. Because I am. 

All the best to the Binos next season. That's twice I've seen us relegate you guys at Forthbank, and it always makes me feel slightly guilty. As others have said, the wee fannies on Twitter and the ultras aren't a reflection of the club more generally. A good bunch of lads. And having you back in the diddy league will cheer me up if we don't get over the line against Spartans. It'll be nice to have a local game again. Just a pest Stenny are away!

Edited by Jan Vojáček

3 hours ago, FifeSons said:

Only thing you’ve got to think is how much that will have taken out of us. Contrast that with Spartans who had a very easy afternoon. I hope we do the cryotherapy!

Not much after that 2nd half…

Well done Dumbarton. As others have commented, the vast majority of you were mega sound when fixtures between the two sides were postponed last season. You thoroughly deserve to go through to the play-off final and I hope you are promoted. 

We were rather shit today. First half Dumbarton were the better side and could have had a lead at half-time. McPake going off injured was a massive blow. Second half we were a lot better. The change in formation and introduction of Leitch helped. However, despite Dumbarton sitting deep and us having multiple half chances, we didn't test Hogarth. Even if we somehow won today, I feel like Spartans would have beat us over two legs. We make far too many mistakes at the back, confidence was clearly low and can't finish.

Back to the basement division we go. Clearly our home.  A clear out is needed as our title winning squad was clearly not good enough for League 1 football or navigating the play-offs. 

1 hour ago, Jan Vojáček said:

As I said earlier, over the two legs I think we just about edged it. But there's a fag paper between the two sides. Absolutely nothing in it at all, and I reckon we could play each other every week for another few months and no team would win by more than the odd goal.

That was very much a game of two halves. In the first I thought we were the better team by some distance. We played some good stuff, looked a threat, dominated the midfield and really should've scored a few times. The only real scare was when we didn't defend a corner, Dale Carrick sclaffed an effort and Kyle Banner fresh air swiped when it looked easier to score. 

We played with a cracking intensity and that nullified everything about the Binos. A mixture of our performance and Josh McPake's injury basically deflated the crowd before there was any chance for them to get a right good atmosphere going.

In the second-half it was a bit of a role reversal. Stirling were crying out for Jack Leitch, and he was superb for the first 15/20 minutes of the second half. Dictating the play for wave after wave of attack. The only thing was, for all the players they had in decent areas, only a Rudi Molotnikov effort that hit the post looked remotely dangerous. Across the two legs Jay Hogarth has had next to nothing to do saves wise. Although I thought he was very assured this afternoon in his general play. 

After the game I said to my Binos covering pal that I don't remember ever seeing a team quite as shit at shooting. As in, nobody in red really seemed capable of kicking a ball with any power or accuracy at goal. It was bizarre. Dale Carrick, Dale Wilson, Greig Spence on the park. And not one looked like they could actually shoot.

As the half wore on I grew more confident we'd see it out. The Binos fell into the trap we often do chasing a game. And piled bodies forward with no real gameplan. And every high ball was dealt with by Mark Durnan and Sean Crighton. Comfortable is too strong when you're a goal ahead. But it wasn't uncomfortable, although the second-half lasted about 11 days I'm sure.

In terms of performers, I don't think anyone let us down. Michael Ruth's shift was absolutely outstanding as per usual. His all round game is terrific and I hope he goes on to enjoy a long and successful full-time career when he moves on. Because he has all the attributes you want in a lone striker.

But I want to focus on Gallagher Lennon. I can't even remember seeing a loan player go from lost wee boy to standout performer in such a short period of time. His composure on the ball in a really high pressure (and frantic at times) game today was levels above. He looks to have learned to adapt his game around his lack of pace. He's a lot fitter than he was when he came in. He's organising folk around him. It's great to see. 

Regardless of what division we're in, I'd like to have him back next season. He's looked good at CB and LB and I think he could even do a job in central midfield. He's so good on the ball. I didn't think I'd be saying any of that a few months ago.

Spartans will be what it is. They have impressed me this season. But they don't scare me. Nobody we could've faced does. I think this side is as good as anyone we could've faced and they should go into next week full of confidence and excitement. Because I am. 

All the best to the Binos next season. That's twice I've seen us relegate you guys at Forthbank, and it always makes me feel slightly guilty. As others have said, the wee fannies on Twitter and the ultras aren't a reflection of the club more generally. A good bunch of lads. And having you back in the diddy league will cheer me up if we don't get over the line against Spartans. It'll be nice to have a local game again. Just a pest Stenny are away!

Quite possibly the best post I’ve read on here, in some time 👏🏻👏🏻

On the web I saw our home gate vs Stirling on Tuesday was 900.It seemed a lot more to me.

Im guessing we will get less vs Spartans unless it being the final drags more folk out.

Anyway well done to the players for todays result and performance.Lets keep it up for 1 more week.

mon the sons.

12 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

After the game I said to my Binos covering pal that I don't remember ever seeing a team quite as shit at shooting. As in, nobody in red really seemed capable of kicking a ball with any power or accuracy at goal. It was bizarre. Dale Carrick, Dale Hilson, Greig Spence on the park. And not one looked like they could actually shoot.

Story of the season, it's why we are where we are. 

Glad you lot didn’t time waste either yesterday. Many teams would have done in your situation. Annan were awful for it the week before. Maybe Stevie just knew we were shite anyway and there wasn’t any point.