Queen of the South's Next Permanent Manager

Who will be QotS' next permanent manager?  

177 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, HighlandQueen said:

And not many folks have commented on us getting rid of the worst assistant ever in Grant Murray. A failure in every coaching role he ever had. I hope McMenamin joins us. 

I got the impression it's Murphy and his background staff. Especially when the GK coach has said his goodbyes on Twitter. 

38 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I got the impression it's Murphy and his background staff. Especially when the GK coach has said his goodbyes on Twitter. 

Who is the goalie coach?

2 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Hope so. A lot of folks seem to think they were important to Annans success. Anything better than Murray who failed consistently to do anything for us. Waste of a wage. 

1 minute ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I'm not going to claim that Murray was a coaching genius we needed to retain.  He wasn't.

I find the vitriol for him a bit baffling though.

He's a dinosaur. Obviously not name-dropping but I have it from a 'very good source' he was just as much the problem as Bartley. It'll be interesting to see how Gibson does at Annan if he gets the job without Murray being there. 

7 hours ago, palmy_cammy said:

A manager successfully using a budget to achieve an objective? It’s a bold strategy Cotton, let’s see if it pays off.

I don’t think anyone was desperate for McCall, but I also don’t really see why his reputation for requiring a sizeable budget is used as a stick to beat him with either. There are clubs out there who have sizeable budgets who require managers with track records of achieving success with sizeable budgets. It probably meant he was a non-starter for Queens, but I doubt Clyde regret their decision in hiring him, and I doubt they care that avoided the drop in a non-miraculous way.

It’s a bad thing with McCall as he will actively go out his way to draw more and more money from the chairman and then walk away as soon as there’s nothing left. No doubt he’s got an eye for a player but he needs to be backed consistently for it to work. It will inevitably get to a point where a club can’t spend any more. I don’t think he’ll ever consistently have a club punching above their weight. We did it for one season under him and then the money stopped so he left a few months into the season. He was talking about only wanting to stay at Clyde if they had the “ambition” for immediate success. Ambition doesn’t equal spunking large amounts of cash. 

Murphy is a solid appointment. He’s dragged a lowland league club to the third tier for the first time in their history and I’m beyond certain they will go down next season without him. Whether or not he gets you promoted next season or not, I don’t know but he’ll make you better. And he’s a really class guy as well so it’ll make a change from having guys like AJ, Gibson or Bartley as a manager. 

I'm pleased with the appointment of Murphy. Of course I was happy with the appointment of Bartley largely because it seemed he had something different to offer. Murphy has a decent track record at Annan.  It remains to be seen how he'll do but I'm hopeful. 

51 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Murphy is a solid appointment. He’s dragged a lowland league club to the third tier for the first time in their history and I’m beyond certain they will go down next season without him. Whether or not he gets you promoted next season or not, I don’t know but he’ll make you better. And he’s a really class guy as well so it’ll make a change from having guys like AJ, Gibson or Bartley as a manager. 

Just to correct you D'Jaffo - he did not drag a LOWLAND league club to the third tier.

Annan joined SPFL in season 2008/09 after the demise of Gretna.

We made play offs 3 times in the first 9 seasons,never finishing below 8th.

Peter Murphy joined us in 2017 and since then another 3 play offs the most recent In 2022/23 when we were promoted.

Pedantic I know but factual.

16 hours ago, palmy_cammy said:

A manager successfully using a budget to achieve an objective? It’s a bold strategy Cotton, let’s see if it pays off.

There's a difference between "using a budget well", and requiring a club threatening level of budget to have success, IMO. Relegation for Clyde would've disastrous, relegation for Clyde after McCalls spending would've killed them. It was all or nothing for them after January. 

I've, perhaps unfairly, always tagged him as a "junkie" manager. By that I mean clubs will risk a lot for the quick high he might give them, but ultimately the longer he's there the more he's fucking you up longer term, and the longer/harder the recovery will be.

I can see why he's appealing to those struggling and only suffering lows.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

There's a difference between "using a budget well", and requiring a club threatening level of budget to have success, IMO. Relegation for Clyde would've disastrous, relegation for Clyde after McCalls spending would've killed them. It was all or nothing for them after January. 

I've, perhaps unfairly, always tagged him as a "junkie" manager. By that I mean clubs will risk a lot for the quick high he might give them, but ultimately the longer he's there the more he's fucking you up longer term, and the longer/harder the recovery will be.

I can see why he's appealing to those struggling and only suffering lows.

I completely understand what you are saying but your initial post queried why he was appealing to some Queens fans. You’ve answered that yourself with your last sentence above.

11 hours ago, the philosopher said:

Just to correct you D'Jaffo - he did not drag a LOWLAND league club to the third tier.

Annan joined SPFL in season 2008/09 after the demise of Gretna.

We made play offs 3 times in the first 9 seasons,never finishing below 8th.

Peter Murphy joined us in 2017 and since then another 3 play offs the most recent In 2022/23 when we were promoted.

Pedantic I know but factual.

I think you were very kind and guarded with your response to the man from Partick. 

19 minutes ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Mcmenimin leaves Annan. Wonder if he is  heading back to Palmerston to assist Murphy.

He is.