General Election 2024

I think we all know (as does Sunak himself) that this is just, another, desperate attempt to get all the auld right wingers who may have gone to Reform to keep voting Tory.

It wont save him, or his party from whats coming their way, but might make a few amusing headlines in the Daily Express or whatever.

1 minute ago, Leith Green said:

I think we all know (as does Sunak himself) that this is just, another, desperate attempt to get all the auld right wingers who may have gone to Reform to keep voting Tory.

It wont save him, or his party from whats coming their way, but might make a few amusing headlines in the Daily Express or whatever.

They've got what they wanted. Fucked the country right up and made themselves rich.

They're on the troll now.

It's a measure of how much the dial has shifted in this country that an idea which would have been howled out at a scriptwriter's meeting in the 1970's is now being touted as serious politics.

I've said it before and I'll repeat it; all contemporary Britland has left is the two 'M's - monarchy and militarism.

10 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

It's a measure of how much the dial has shifted in this country that an idea which would have been howled out at a scriptwriter's meeting in the 1970's is now being touted as serious politics.

Right wing Tories are even ridiculing the scheme. 'Serious politics' is stretching it considerably.

It will be nowhere near the manifesto and it will get dropped by next week. 

Has Labour announced they'll fast track prosecutions for anyone found to have been involved in any shady dealings with covid contracts, house flipping, nepotism, cash for honours, sexual misconduct.....etc....etc.... That should pretty much leave one side of the commons empty where the can make a nice botanical garden in the same mould as the Bozo bridge one.

Just now, eindhovendee said:

Surely alienating approx 700,000 18 year old eligible voters is not the best idea?

Irrelevant to them - the numbers of under 25s who intend voting Tory is almost zero.

2 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

Irrelevant to them - the numbers of under 25s who intend voting Tory is almost zero.

It was a good idea of the Tories to give them a motivation to vote.

OK, they won't be voting for the  national slavery service but they might actually participate.

Almost worth seeing them voted in to see how this is actually introduced. 

Will his daughters do it? What happens to 18-year-old Man City superstars?

And what happens when the first person is killed or seriously injured after a training accident? 

That's before you even work out how the Army (or Police and NHS) would cope with an influx of people who didn't want to be there when they are already critically understaffed.

This morning I've even seen a tweet from Stephen Yaxley-Lennon against it. I mean, Jesus Christ, if your government's attempt to appeal to the right is opposed by the (former?) head bloke from the fascist party then you've probably misjudged it.

I see they're claiming now that their forced work scheme will be used to train youngsters in important skills.

No, that will absolutely not happen. They'll be in nursing homes and charity shops, and they'll also try to use this to realise their dream of having the young unemployed working for broo money in minimum wage retail jobs. Anyone who has done these jobs knows how much "training" is involved.

Most 18 year olds I know would tell them to stick it up their arse. They already said they wouldn't jail folk for refusing to do National service and it just wouldn't be practical trying to get immature kids wiping arses or bathing oldies, would be more trouble than it's worth. 

1 minute ago, Jan Vojáček said:

This morning I've even seen a tweet from Stephen Yaxley-Lennon against it. I mean, Jesus Christ, if your government's attempt to appeal to the right is opposed by the (former?) head bloke from the fascist party then you've probably misjudged it.

Chief fascist says "no" to National Service  :lol:

Someone should tell him he's too old even for conscription now. That'll get him back on side.

23 minutes ago, dirty dingus said:

Has Labour announced they'll fast track prosecutions for anyone found to have been involved in any shady dealings with covid contracts, house flipping, nepotism, cash for honours, sexual misconduct.....etc....etc.... That should pretty much leave one side of the commons empty where the can make a nice botanical garden in the same mould as the Bozo bridge one.

And that's just Michelle Mone