General Election 2024

2 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

"Hello Rishi it's Michelle from Mones military emporium "

20240526_105906.jpg

Joking aside, if some sort of National Service was introduced it would definitely be done in a way where Tory donors could make money from it.

1 minute ago, Granny Danger said:

Joking aside, if any sort of policy was introduced it would definitely be done in a way where Tory donors could make money from it.

Ftfy.

14 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

National Service.

There’s nothing like a well considered and thought out policy.

And this is nothing like a well considered and thought out policy.

Neither was Brexit and yet you still voted for that. 

3 hours ago, Leith Green said:

Wonder whats next.

Prisoners in chains fixing the roads or the death sentence?

Capital punishment tends to be divisive, but I bet there'd be massive support for using prison slave labour to fill potholes.

1 hour ago, Suspect Device said:

Compulsory national service is not that popular. A voluntary scheme might be.

image.png.5c32ad4fa3c2c81c9faf7f430b2fc9b6.png

And unsurprisingly, it's old duffers who are most in favour and youngsters who are most against.

image.png.b71e1725d71ddc25476d7abd99c40566.png

Isn't "voluntary national service" just joining the army?  :huh:

You’ve got two candidates here. The honourable gentleman from Holborn (as some call him) is showing he cares about the future generations by allowing them to take part in the democratic process shaping the future, and then you’ve got the prime minister wanting to enrol them in some kind of boot camp.

45 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Capital punishment tends to be divisive, but I bet there'd be massive support for using prison slave labour to fill potholes.

Isn't "voluntary national service" just joining the army?  :huh:

And national service 

Human beings crave structure,  for many in our shagged society it would give them some 

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/article/2024/may/26/jimmy-dimly-shows-us-how-to-serve-by-fronting-up-latest-tory-gimmick

"Jimmy D was wheeled out for Trevor Phillips on Sky and Laura Kuenssberg on the BBC. Both interviews started with questions on the Tories’ latest gimmick: a return to national service. Truly the idiocracy has excelled itself this time. You can sense the desperation in Tory HQ. SOS! We need a policy to attract Reform voters. Something that will remind the over-80s of VE Day. But save bring back hanging for when the polls get even worse.

For reasons best known to themselves, Trevor and Laura insisted on taking national service seriously. Rather than a badly thought through gimmick that would never see the light of day. Private Jimmy Dimly stood to attention. This was the nation’s chance to serve. To make good the divisions the Tories had created in society over the past 14 years with some mandatory volunteering. Rather sweetly, he was totally oblivious to the contradiction."

2 hours ago, Fullerene said:

I think public flogging might also be appealing.

They’ve already privatised everything, there’s nothing left to flog!

Oh, that sort of flogging…

14 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

They’ve already privatised everything, there’s nothing left to flog!

Oh, that sort of flogging…

Don’t discount the possibility of ‘you have been sentenced to 20 lashes, but you can reduce that to 12 by having BARCLAYS BANK painted across your arse while we’re thrashing it’ 

8 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

Don’t discount the possibility of ‘you have been sentenced to 20 lashes, but you can reduce that to 12 by having BARCLAYS BANK painted across your arse while we’re thrashing it’ 

For a few Tories that scenario would be a win-win.

Allegedly.

14 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

For a few Tories that scenario would be a win-win.

Allegedly.

I’d imagine quite a few of them would be enthusiastically having a Barclay’s Bank 

National Service? an electioneering joke put forward to satisfy the retired little englanders who spend their days writing to their local rag complaining of the feckless rude youth nowadays.

I checked aroung the internet at the original system circa 1950's and found it was riddled with scams of their day to get exemptions, farmer, bakers and those in medicine were exempt so there was an uptake of those positions, the Merchant Navy was another refuge then there were doctors who for the right money could declare you unfit  or mentally ill.

It wasn't a publicly acceptable system and if you were apprenticed you had to interrupt it and do two years in teh military and then return to complete your apprenticeship.

I've met young men around the world who were conscripted in France, Scandinavian countries etc and none of them had a god word for it, conscripts in Iran don't get paid for their national service.

3 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

Unbelievable the lengths Tories will go to defend a ridiculous policy that they know will never become law. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cv2283580dyo

The Tories could propose the most obnoxious policy possible and Wee Dougie would be rolled out with that ‘look-at-me-I’m-a-serious-guy’ look on his face and try to justify it.  Could his parents not practiced birth control?