Who are you voting for in GE24

Who are you voting for in GE24  

203 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, invergowrie arab said:

Has anybody actually spoiled a ballot?

I find it improbable you would meet someone who has given any count I have been at has had less than 0.5% spoiled and less than 10% of those are actively spoiled as opposed to void for uncertainty.

And in case anyone thinks it results in an outbreak of mass faintings it chucked in a plastic box and everyone gets on with recording the rest.

I spoiled my ballot at the last council election because all four candidates in my ward were beyond risible. In the multi-member ward up the road in the dirty wee Port, the incumbents were returned unopposed because no other candidates even stood. The gift of electoral choice in action. 

On 23/05/2024 at 20:06, Jambomo said:

I wonder if the cock and balls vote will be up this year from the last time. Would love it if Cock and Balls ended up with the most votes. 

Moray has had over 22k vote for a cock in the last 2 elections

4 minutes ago, virginton said:

I spoiled my ballot at the last council election because all four candidates in my ward were beyond risible. In the multi-member ward up the road in the dirty wee Port, the incumbents were returned unopposed because no other candidates even stood. The gift of electoral choice in action. 

Fair enough in a council election as that's probably about 7% of the turnout in a ward.

1 minute ago, virginton said:

Same. Although I had an even bigger list of arsehole candidates to reject.

Just now, scottsdad said:

How did you spoil your ballot? Draw cock and balls? Write "I am a fish"?

I can't recall with 100% but I think it involved writing 'utter shite' across the diagonal length of the ballot paper. It had all the self-righteous fury of storming off to the pub when your team is 2-0 down. 

4 minutes ago, virginton said:

It had all the self-righteous fury of storming off to the pub when your team is 2-0 down. 

Staying in Cappilow or going to the Norseman. That's grim.

Would suicide not be better?

9 minutes ago, lichtgilphead said:

Staying in Cappilow or going to the Norseman. That's grim.

Would suicide not be better?

The Norseman actually does a pretty good pint of Drygate Kelvin pilsner for £3.50 now. If you can tolerate the owner's shite patter, it's better than the massively overrated and stupidly mobbed Tuttie's Neuk*.

*Both are shat on from a great height by The Foundry. 

On 23/05/2024 at 10:16, Oystercatcher said:

I'm in East Kilbride, where the absolute moon howler, lisa Cameron is MP. She was SNP, no-one in the party liked her so she complained then defected to the Tories. 

I'll just be glad to see that cow gone.

As for who I'm voting for, for the first time in 35 years I honestly don't know.

Always been SNP, but I really don't like them at the moment, will never vote labour or tory, voted green in the Scottish election but at a GE? Don't think so.

I feel a-political now 

On 23/05/2024 at 13:14, Hammer Jag said:

Labour will win my seat at a canter, especially as our current MP defected from the SNP to the Tories.

I will probably reluctantly vote for the SNP and their career politican, zero life exeperience candidate as I despise Labour and the Tories with every fibre of my being. 

But I've never been as apathetic towards an election in my life.

You may feel differently about her, but I think the Labour candidate in East Kilbride and Strathaven is a contemptible *srsehole. Please don't let her get elected.

The SNP got double Labour's vote in that seat at the election so it's very, very far from a seat they can expect to win at a canter, regardless of Lisa Cameron being a Tory loon. 

On 23/05/2024 at 11:22, Granny Danger said:

I’d agree.  But given that a GE was almost definitely going to be held during this calendar year it suggests these 150 associations were not exactly on the ball either.

The problem was that they had not required sitting MPs to confirm whether they would continue. Arguably they ought to have done that sooner.

Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

I find it improbable you would meet someone who has given any count I have been at has had less than 0.5% spoiled and less than 10% of those are actively spoiled as opposed to void for uncertainty.

And in case anyone thinks it results in an outbreak of mass faintings it chucked in a plastic box and everyone gets on with recording the rest.

Anyway I'll be voting SNP as they are absolutely brilliant and only indepedence will bring Scotland a proper summertime national celebration day.

I have, once. It was an election in which there were four parties standing, only one of whom I would have considered voting for, but their candidate was a twunt. He was certain to win though. I wrote on my paper that I would have voted for x party if they hadn't fielded such an inadequate candidate.

I'd strongly recommend to anyone who spoils their paper that they write a message on it. As you'll presumably know but others won't, at the count, not long before the declaration, the Returning Officer goes through each unclear ballot one-by-one with the candidates (and usually others from the parties). If there are disagreements about whether any should constitute a valid vote for one candidate they are put aside and the Returning Officer rules on them, but the vast majority are obvious. Many are blank, many have been signed (I suspect these are mostly postal votes) and some have the traditional phallus. A few have a message and at the counts I've been to these have always been read out.

Edited by GordonS

Im going to be out the country on election day, fly out on 22nd june, so dont even know if my postal vote will make it in time. Tbh i could never vote labour, tory or lib dem and i dont think i can bring myself to vote for the snp either now, considering voting for a random monster raving looney candidate as a protest or spoiling my ballot. 

49 minutes ago, GordonS said:

You may feel differently about her, but I think the Labour candidate in East Kilbride and Strathaven is a contemptible *srsehole. Please don't let her get elected.

The SNP got double Labour's vote in that seat at the election so it's very, very far from a seat they can expect to win at a canter, regardless of Lisa Cameron being a Tory loon. 

For what it’s worth, lunatic Cameron was actually pretty helpful when I contacted her about some aggro we were having in our street, and she’s a WID.

1 hour ago, JS_FFC said:

Over 100,000 people spoiled their ballots in 2007.

"Spoiled Ballots" include ballots rejected for voting for more than one candidate, no vote or mark recorded - these are the vast majority of spoiled ballots - ballots rejected for uncertainty or votes by which the voter could be identified.

2007 was a particular f**k up as they held local elections on the same with a different voting system resulting in a large number. 

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, GordonS said:

I have, once. It was an election in which there were four parties standing, only one of whom I would have considered voting for, but their candidate was a twunt. He was certain to win though. I wrote on my paper that I would have voted for x party if they hadn't fielded such an inadequate candidate.

I'd strongly recommend to anyone who spoils their paper that they write a message on it. As you'll presumably know but others won't, at the count, not long before the declaration, the Returning Officer goes through each unclear ballot one-by-one with the candidates (and usually others from the parties). If there are disagreements about whether any should constitute a valid vote for one candidate they are put aside and the Returning Officer rules on them, but the vast majority are obvious. Many are blank, many have been signed (I suspect these are mostly postal votes) and some have the traditional phallus. A few have a message and at the counts I've been to these have always been read out.

Read out to a few nonplussed counting agents. Maybe candidates in small parties who don't have enough counting agents or if the candidate is bored.

The reason for doing this is to ascertain whether or not the message indicates a clear preference eg I was able to get a vote that simply said independence for Scotland included as an SNP vote.

Probably wouldn't have got away with it in a tight election.

Edited by invergowrie arab

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, invergowrie arab said:

Anyway I'll be voting SNP as they are absolutely brilliant and only indepedence will bring Scotland a proper summertime national celebration day.

I did in…2000ish? Didn’t want to vote for any of the candidates but my old boy hassled me so much about it being important to vote that I went and spoiled my paper. He then forgot to go and vote. Tit. 

ETA - it was a GE so must have been 2001. 

Edited by carpetmonster