Home ties for City* against Clyde and Partick (a squeeze that one) and away to Montrose in midweek and Motherwell. 

Motherwell are a nice club and good hosts but a likely tanking in your first competitive game of the season does not make for joy.

And I haven't seen Partick play at Firhill since Meadowbank Thistle were on the go so I'd like to have visited there. In fact I haven't been to Firhill since the Junior Cup Finals were played there which is going back a bit.

I once went to a midweek reserve league east game at Montrose when they had the wee stand. I was young and mad and hadn't been at Links Park before. I now have been there several times and am old and grumpy and can't be arsed going up on a Tuesday for a defeat.  

The League Cup Group G- it's where it's at, baby. 

*to be replaced by Melchester Rovers when they don't get the licence next week

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Tickets for the away end showing as sold out for the Edinburgh City-Thistle game after the third batch have gone onsale. Anyone know if more will go onsale?

21 hours ago, GrahamJags said:

Tickets for the away end showing as sold out for the Edinburgh City-Thistle game after the third batch have gone onsale. Anyone know if more will go onsale?

Available again now. Wiki suggests the capacity is around 1300, which you'd imagine will be enough to accommodate the demand for this type of fixture.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking forward to getting back to the real stuff on Saturday regardless of what exhibition matches might be on the day after... 

We've gone for having a longer break this close season with only one open door friendly played, which seems fair enough given how late our last two seasons have ended. We are also miles ahead of where we are normally at this point in the season in terms of players signed but these league cup games can throw up some odd results. 

Keen to see MacKay and Chalmers play and how the midfield shapes up, hopefully McBeth is in there. 

Edited by Fuctifano

Mo fans in the South End of Jackie Husband stand for this.

Not sure if we'll get a decent home crowd but it'll be good to be back at Firhill to kickoff the new season.

McBeth was at the back on Saturday vs Glenafton. Could be a similar lineup unless O'Reilly comes back in to the lineup and Stanway drops out but I think we will lineup the same.

12 hours ago, jagsfan57 said:

We weren’t very inspiring in the group stage last season, scraping through thanks to late BG penalty vs Spartans. Need to take this seriously and make sure we get a comfortable win.

Think there was a bit of a hangover from how the previous season had ended tbf, not sure how much that translated onto the pitch but definitely felt it from the stands for the first few weeks of last season.

For the first time since the group stages came in we should be able to give it a right decent shot. Qualifying obviously still a massive long shot as it'll probably require 9 points but don't think a 3rd placed finish and more prize money than we're used to getting from this competition is an unrealistic target.

Edinburgh City 1-0 Clyde on Wednesday.

12 hours ago, JagsCG said:

Think there was a bit of a hangover from how the previous season had ended tbf, not sure how much that translated onto the pitch but definitely felt it from the stands for the first few weeks of last season.

That’s probably fair. 

3 hours ago, CM. said:

For the first time since the group stages came in we should be able to give it a right decent shot. Qualifying obviously still a massive long shot as it'll probably require 9 points but don't think a 3rd placed finish and more prize money than we're used to getting from this competition is an unrealistic target.

Edinburgh City 1-0 Clyde on Wednesday.

I'm afraid we're about to get an embarrassing hounding from the Well tomorrow which might demoralise us....

Finally the real football is back. We've got a few injuries (McGinn, Callachan, Koutroumbis, Slattery, Nicholson and maybe Gordon) but I'm still confident we'll get a decent enough win to kickstart our cup campaign.

6 minutes ago, AdamMFC said:

Finally the real football is back. We've got a few injuries (McGinn, Callachan, Koutroumbis, Slattery, Nicholson and maybe Gordon) but I'm still confident we'll get a decent enough win to kickstart our cup campaign.

Just need to get it into our heads that this is a real game and turn it on a bit.

2 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

I'm at Peppa Pig the mora so I won't make it. 

I've heard Peppa likes Dens Park

peppa.jpg.942f71094229938f9a25f46209b1a289.jpg

Motherwell's record home win is 12-1 against Dundee United. Erk.... :unsure2:

14 hours ago, tamthebam said:

I've heard Peppa likes Dens Park

peppa.jpg.942f71094229938f9a25f46209b1a289.jpg

Motherwell's record home win is 12-1 against Dundee United. Erk.... :unsure2:

aye, we don’t do clean sheets 

Felt like the entire first half we just thought we'd score but the pace of play got slower and slower and it took them scoring to wake us up. Turner has been good and his set pieces already yielding a goal. 

Gardyne is some size these days, that top is not very flattering. 

This is gash, usual soft underbelly is exposed and when we quite clearly don't seem interested. Playing like some sort of experimental pre season friendly game. The thing that worries me more is the soft underbelly as it seems to follow from season to season regardless of personnel and manager. Think we need to sharpen up fast.