Observation from game…….11 backroom staff next to dugout & Utd looked unfit, directionless & with players going through the motions which given 1000 travelling fans is disrespectful at best 

Being objective - I listened to the game rather than watch it - a lot was made of the fact that you guys brought in something like 6 new signings. Could it be that they just need time to gel?

I have to say I was really surprised by United. I wasn’t confident today, given three of our regular back four are out injured and I know it’s really early doors but I never felt during that game that we came under any real sustained pressure. Great travelling support through who deserved a bit more effort from their team. 

I was amazed that after the challenge cup pumping last season united played the very same awful centrehalfs partnership they did that night and lo and behold they were just as dreadful today.

Please tell me Falkirk fans are taking the piss out of themselves with this ‘invincibles’ chat.

A season playing part time clubs in a league you’ve spent 3(?) seasons to get out of and treating it as something to boast about…

disgusted not safe for work GIF

4 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Please tell me Falkirk fans are taking the piss out of themselves with this ‘invincibles’ chat.

A season playing part time clubs in a league you’ve spent 3(?) seasons to get out of and treating it as something to boast about…

Get it right, it was 5 seasons and whether you like it or not we went through a league campaign unbeaten, which I believe is only the 3/4 time it’s happened in Scottish football history so that makes us invincibles.

It's never too early for United fans to have a meltdown 😅

I don't like it, but I've come to expect United to treat the group stages as an extension to pre-season, and they play games at pre-season pace. Didn't do us any harm last season, but what it does is it means that when there's only two competitions we can realistically win, it's an insult to the paying fanbase.

Also, comparisons to how the other Premiership teams did today have to be taken with a pinch of salt when you consider they were all against part time L1/2/Highland sides and we were against a settled and pretty impressive Falkirk side who i'd expect to be challenging for the league in the Championship.#

But all of that aside, it's still a poor result and shows we've got some way to go in terms of recruitment and pre-league-season cohesion.

In particular, we're absolutely threadbare in central midfield and up front. At CM, we've got...

Sibbald - a standout in the Championship but I'd expect him to be less of a key player and more of a squad player in the Prem
Docherty - untested at this level and an absolute sicknote who will likely be available for about 20% of games tops

And then... 🤷‍♂️

The fact we played Miller Thompson there says everything. Grimshaw is surplus to requirements and everyone else who can play there is 18 or under.

Meanwhile up front we've got two strikers who are both good quality but have no pace, and then we're down to Rory Macleod who one Dundee based football coach said to me is "well known to have one of the most stinking attitudes in all of football", which has been backed up to me by Forfar players I know who played with him last season. And again, he's only 18.

So no panic stations yet, but we have to make progress on signings and squad cohesion in the next two weeks.

Edited by SGMilne

4 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

There was actually 4 full time sides and why not boast about being the only team outside the old firm to go through a 36 game season unbeaten.

Every season in the last few years one of the teams qualifying for Europe has had a defeat to a lower league team in the League Cup groups.

This time last year St Mirren lost at Montrose. The season before Hibs lost at Falkirk. Season before that Motherwell lost at Airdrie.

We'll be seeing United in the Conference League next season, imo.

7 minutes ago, SGMilne said:

It's never too early for United fans to have a meltdown 😅

I don't like it, but I've come to expect United to treat the group stages as an extension to pre-season, and they play games at pre-season pace. Didn't do us any harm last season, but what it does is it means that when there's only two competitions we can realistically win, it's an insult to the paying fanbase.

Also, comparisons to how the other Premiership teams did today have to be taken with a pinch of salt when you consider they were all against part time L1/2/Highland sides and we were against a settled and pretty impressive Falkirk side who i'd expect to be challenging for the league in the Championship.#

But all of that aside, it's still a poor result and shows we've got some way to go in terms of recruitment and pre-league-season cohesion.

In particular, we're absolutely threadbare in central midfield and up front. At CM, we've got...

Sibbald - a standout in the Championship but I'd expect him to be less of a key player and more of a squad player in the Prem
Docherty - untested at this level and an absolute sicknote who will likely be available for about 20% of games tops

And then... 🤷‍♂️

The fact we played Miller Thompson there says everything. Grimshaw is surplus to requirements and everyone else who can play there is 18 or under.

Meanwhile up front we've got two strikers who are both good quality but have no pace, and then we're down to Rory Macleod who one Dundee based football coach said to me is "well known to have one of the most stinking attitudes in all of football", which has been backed up to me by Forfar players I know who played with him last season. And again, he's only 18.

So no panic stations yet, but we have to make progress on signings and squad cohesion in the next two weeks.

It’s an old footballing cliche but it’s very apt today - it wasn’t the result it was the performance.

I’d love to think we can sort that out between today and the start of the league season but I’d be very surprised if we can.

5 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

Every season in the last few years one of the teams qualifying for Europe has had a defeat to a lower league team in the League Cup groups.

This time last year St Mirren lost at Montrose. The season before Hibs lost at Falkirk. Season before that Motherwell lost at Airdrie.

We'll be seeing United in the Conference League next season, imo.

200w (10).gif

28 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

You’re dead right. It’s only the absolute fucking dross we keep beating

Positives for United today? Your goalie made some excellent saves and looks very decent. Your travelling support was very healthy. That's it.

Appreciate this was the first competitive game of the season but you guys looked ponderous and lacking ideas. Some players didn't look fit, step up Tony Watt who looks like he's had the best close season ever. On the radio on the way in to the game I think they were saying that Trapanovski was a player to watch this season - he was awful and completely anonymous, no surprise he was hooked after having done nothing at 55 mins. Waving for opposition players to get carded is very poor too.

24 minutes ago, bridge of allan bairn said:

Positives for United today? Your goalie made some excellent saves and looks very decent. Your travelling support was very healthy. That's it.

Appreciate this was the first competitive game of the season but you guys looked ponderous and lacking ideas. Some players didn't look fit, step up Tony Watt who looks like he's had the best close season ever. On the radio on the way in to the game I think they were saying that Trapanovski was a player to watch this season - he was awful and completely anonymous, no surprise he was hooked after having done nothing at 55 mins. Waving for opposition players to get carded is very poor too.

Do you have any information on there peh pie consumption?