Just How Bad Could It Get ?

6 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

The first post on the thread got about 15 red dots, but all the guy did was ask how badly things can conceivably go?

It's a perfectly legitimate question.  We can discuss it without defensiveness surely.  

I genuinely cannot wait for this competition.  Wallchart purchased etc.  I think it's brilliant that we get to open the tournament.  I also fear we might get hammered.   

I've not actually read much evidence of misery on here; just pessimism.  They are different things.

Sorry, I'm still not getting why you keep referring to yourself when we've established you're not miserable.

I'm not miserable either, but that's also not relevant.

3 minutes ago, Bing.McCrosby said:

This was quite a revealing post 🤣

So many questions.

1. Do our players all have micropenises?

2. Is this a fear projected from personal experience?

3. If after revealing their penis's and shitting all over the pitch they put their skants back on and still won the match would this be acceptable?

1. In this terrorscape, yes - all with micropenises, and horribly exposed to the world. Apologies to any P&Bers with micropenises, but no doubt you understand how cruel people can be.
  2. Bing, I'm sure I've asked you before to stop requesting details about my genitals.
  3. I think we'd all accept that outcome, although I was envisioning more of a constant incontinence situation during the game, which would no doubt be mortifying for us all. Winning the game would negate the misery though, and turn it into a plucky underdog tale, which is far too optimistic.

1 minute ago, BFTD said:

Sorry, I'm still not getting why you keep referring to yourself when we've established you're not miserable.

It's mainly because I just like to.

But it's also because I don't think the other supporters on here are really expressing misery either.

7 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Pretty much, yes.

So I imagined the bit saying "with current form suggesting that Scotland may be on course for an unwelcome piece of Euro history against Germany by suffering the heaviest defeat in the tournaments history" then?

1 minute ago, craigkillie said:

So I imagined the bit saying "with current form suggesting that Scotland may be on course for an unwelcome piece of Euro history against Germany by suffering the heaviest defeat in the tournaments history" then?

No, you didn't imagine it.

A little gently hyperbolic perhaps, but a rhetorical flourish is allowed when introducing a legitimate question.  Even then, it's said very much conditionally.

10 minutes ago, BFTD said:

I'm not miserable either, but that's also not relevant.

1. In this terrorscape, yes - all with micropenises, and horribly exposed to the world. Apologies to any P&Bers with micropenises, but no doubt you understand how cruel people can be.
  2. Bing, I'm sure I've asked you before to stop requesting details about my genitals.
  3. I think we'd all accept that outcome, although I was envisioning more of a constant incontinence situation during the game, which would no doubt be mortifying for us all. Winning the game would negate the misery though, and turn it into a plucky underdog tale, which is far too optimistic.

Disney would possibly like to make a movie about these plucky lads with micropenises who shit themselves, who then put on their pants and wipe the floor with the Germans. It’ll be a tale to rival The Mighty Ducks and I for one will be watching this on Netflix 2 years after its release.

26 years since we've been to a tournament on foreign soil. I'm going to the Switzerland game. If I see us score a goal at a major competition maybe even take the lead, in person, I'll be ecstatic. 

I can't wait! 

1 hour ago, Scary Bear said:

Disney would possibly like to make a movie about these plucky lads with micropenises who shit themselves, who then put on their pants and wipe the floor with the Germans. It’ll be a tale to rival The Mighty Ducks and I for one will be watching this on Netflix 2 years after its release.

It might be called "The Shitey Dicks"

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, the snudge said:

26 years since we've been to a tournament on foreign soil. I'm going to the Switzerland game. If I see us score a goal at a major competition maybe even take the lead, in person, I'll be ecstatic. 

I can't wait! 

This. The most euphoric single moment in my life was Scott McTominay's "goal" in Sevilla. Don't get me wrong, my wedding and birth of my son meant a lot more to me, but for a single hit of adrenaline and ecstacy, that goal, for all of 20 seconds had me higher than any drug, and the bloody goal was disallowed! That's what I want at the Euros and I'm lucky enough to be going to the Hungary and Switzerland games, I can't wait.

All the anguish, all the terrible, terrible teams, let downs, embarrassments, so on and so on are what make this worth it. I'm fed up of hearing negativity, yes we've had injuries, but this team won't get battered. If we lose I'll be disappointed, very, but I'll be forever grateful for what this team has given me.

Edited by LoonsYouthTeam

2 hours ago, Groundhopping Adventures said:

We'll probably lose to Germany, we probably won't get out the group but as this is the first proper euros* I've ever seen Scotland in...

I'm more excited about these Euros than the last because we're not hosting, and I hadn't expected that. You're supposed to want to host a tournament but the last Euros, and the prospect of the next one, make me realise I'd much rather not. The travel is an integral part of the experience. It's a pilgrimage. 

15 hours ago, BFTD said:

If I ever get to the point where Scotland qualifying for a tournament makes me miserable in case we're not very good, I'll stop watching.

I don't get this weird miserableness at all. I swear it hasn't always been like this; I'm sure folk used to get quite excited when we were shite at tournaments on the regular. Certainly seemed like it. Maybe we've all forgotten/have never known how much fun just having the opportunity is.

You mistake realism for 'miserableness' , the common mistake of vacuous optimists throughout the ages. It's perfectly ok to be both excited and delighted that Scotland are at the finals while simultaneously being of the opinion that this injury affected Scotland team are not, at the minute, very good and may well lose all three matches and possibly take a pasting from Germany. It's the healthy way. Since first watching Scotland in major finals in 1974 the only time I've not felt like this was Argentina 78 and we all know how that turned out.  

9 minutes ago, kennie makevin said:

You mistake realism for 'miserableness' , the common mistake of vacuous optimists throughout the ages. It's perfectly ok to be both excited and delighted that Scotland are at the finals while simultaneously being of the opinion that this injury affected Scotland team are not, at the minute, very good and may well lose all three matches and possibly take a pasting from Germany. It's the healthy way. Since first watching Scotland in major finals in 1974 the only time I've not felt like this was Argentina 78 and we all know how that turned out.  

Argentina went well didn't it? 

It must of as some keep battering on about how we beat the Dutch?

I'm well and truly in the F#£k it camp look, I/We will never forget Norway, Pumping Spain at Hampden. And as mentioned the goal that never was in Spain. We might get pumped off Germany, draw with the Swiss and somehow lose to Hungary to head home without the experience of a knockout match but we qualified in own right, no playoff requirements we are in League A in the nations league so we must be doing something right, let's enjoy the spectacle support the lads to the hilt and Believe that anything is possible. 

Come on boys make us proud!!!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

41 minutes ago, kennie makevin said:

Once, and only once, have I allowed myself a moment of belief as a Scotland fan, in any sport. I bought a bottle of champagne in advance of what I thought was going to be a great moment.

We lost 3-0 to Morocco. And even if we'd won we'd have gone out anyway.

Never get the hope. It's the hope that will kill you.

Posted (edited)

Optimism has taken a massive hit with the injuries to be honest. No idea how it’ll pan out, but I’m not quite as giddy about the footballing side of the games as I maybe was a month or two ago. The occasion, going across and the whole tournament itself? Can’t wait - the type of thing I’ve dreamt of for most of my life. Have the sticker book n everything.

Not quite at the ‘win lose or draw’ stage yet mind and I’m not sure I will be at any point. Really hate the ‘ach we’re just wee shitey Scotland 🍻’ type of thing. Getting tanked in 2/3 games at the last Euros and making a bit of a tit of ourselves on the big stage was absolutely shite. 

Edited by Fratelli

49 minutes ago, kennie makevin said:

Argentina World Cup W1 D1 L1 - that’s as good as any Scotland team has done since then at a tournament.

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, kennie makevin said:

With current form suggesting that Scotland may be on course for an unwelcome piece of Euro history against Germany by suffering the heaviest defeat in the tournaments history, the simple question is....just how bad could it get.  ? I am, of course, desperately trying to invoking a reverse Argentina '78 scenario ...

Seen a few posts from you, like Germany are some sort of unstoppable force we have no hope in hell of getting anything from, not even arrived in Germany yet and we are beat.

If we turn up we have a great chance of something, Germany are well off were they should be, if there is ever a chance to catch them it's now in the opening game with all pressure on the hosts, hope you enjoy the game/tourney, sounds like your right up for it.

I think we'll get 4 points from this group, if we don't then so be it, we are there, just enjoy the ride.

Edited by M0rtonfc