Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 v 🇭🇺 Hungary

Scary Bear

On 24/06/2024 at 17:42, Crùbag said:

That was my impression of him at Utd. Did nothing in one game but score 2 in the last 2 or 3 minutes. He didn't do much in Belgium either.

His record at Hearts though speaks volumes.

We can persist with Adams but don't expect to get many goals from him. 1 in 14, I believe, and that was against Gibraltar.

There will always be games where that just happens - from watching him over two seasons at the start of his transformation he was never lazy, or just a poacher. 

Bizarrely he was apparently playing wide midfield at times in Belgium. 

Adams isn’t a goal scorer, but when you see his return this season he should be getting more than he does. There is clearly a system issue there - one chance for him over the three games? And that was from a set piece. 

8 hours ago, accies1874 said:

I feel dirty for saying this, but I actually thought that "Here We Fucking Go" sounded class in the Scotland end. 

Haha yeah, it was! Just kind of worked in that moment. 

Pointless discussion but it crossed my mind at the time who would take the penalty if it was given. McGinn, Christie and McLean I’d guess are 3 of the most likely but none of them were on the pitch. On the pitch I’d guess one of Shankland, McTominay or McGregor but I’ve no idea which one of the 3.

2 minutes ago, TONTROOPER said:Guys ..... everything still feels a bit raw.

Time to chill out and discuss after the dust has settled.

Germany 74, Argentina 78, Spain 82  Mexico 86  .  .  .  (you know the rest, just add in the tournament of your choice),

It’s just what we do. We turn up optimistic beyond belief. Unfortunately we turn up as ourselves. Riding on a wave of expectation that can’t possibly be fulfilled. 

3 hours ago, eez-eh said:

Pointless discussion but it crossed my mind at the time who would take the penalty if it was given. McGinn, Christie and McLean I’d guess are 3 of the most likely but none of them were on the pitch. On the pitch I’d guess one of Shankland, McTominay or McGregor but I’ve no idea which one of the 3.

Yeah I had the same point earlier on another thread but couldnt recall who was on the pitch at the time. 

Christie is our taker and McGinn takes them if Christie isnt playing. Dont think anyone else in the squad has taken a non shoot out one for us. Dykes has but was injured obviously.

McLean, McTominay and McGregor all took them in both shoot outs v Israel and Serbia obviously and all three scored both, McLean taking the crucial 5th in both cases. I assume if McLean wasnt on then one of McGregor or McTominay would have hit it. Cant imagine Shankland who missed 3 for Hearts last season and got taken off them would have been above them. Armstrong himself maybe?

Edited by Skyline Drifter

Have been listening to some stuff covering the post mortem.

Missed Callum McGregor's post match interview where he claimed that the players "gave everything".

Utter shite. They'll be full of regrets for that insipid, cowardly display.

He also claimed they still have 'belief' and 'confidence' that they can compete at this level.

Also utter pish, as shown by the total lack of belief and confidence.

Edited by DA Baracus

20 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Missed Callum McGregor's post match interview where he claimed that the players "gave everything".

Utter shite. They'll be full of regrets for that inspiration, cowardly display.

He also claimed they still have 'belief' and 'confidence' that they can compete at this level.

Indeed, I class 'belief' and 'confidence' as 'taking a fucking risk' and 'trying to take the ball past the player that you're directly up against on the pitch' and not 'pass it sideways and backwards until it's back at the keeper who blooters it to the opposition's full back or over their head for a throw in'.

If I wanted to watch that I'd just watch all of The Caley's Youtube match highlights from last season. 

37 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Utter shite. They'll be full of regrets for that inspiration, cowardly display.

It's all birthday card pish, isn't it? 

Player interviews rarely have any value. Go out, make sure you don't piss off your manager or he won't be picking you again. Anything negative like saying we could've done better, won't be appreciated as it's a coded criticism of the manager. Rinse and repeat. 

9 hours ago, TONTROOPER said:

Guys ..... everything still feels a bit raw.

Time to chill out and discuss after the dust has settled.

Although that's true, there is worth in remembering how utterly painful and embarrassing it was. Factor that in to the discussion afterwards which is probably a given as there were no positives IMO. None.

1 hour ago, doulikefish said:

Haven't read the thread but I'm guessing new manager and start shankland and we will be Brazil 1970 

Ditto, but I'm guessing there will also have been a bit of "get rid of the whole team because they're losers" from someone. There always is.

Any requests to provide feasible alternatives will have been met with "it's pathetic that you don't think it's possible for us to have a better manager/players" with no further elucidation.

11 hours ago, oldbitterandgrumpy said:

Germany 74, Argentina 78, Spain 82  Mexico 86  .  .  .  (you know the rest, just add in the tournament of your choice),

It’s just what we do. We turn up optimistic beyond belief. Unfortunately we turn up as ourselves. Riding on a wave of expectation that can’t possibly be fulfilled

Then you realise that Northern Ireland have only ever been to four major tournaments and progressed past the group stages in three of them.

12 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Yeah I had the same point earlier on another thread but couldnt recall who was on the pitch at the time. 

Christie is our taker and McGinn takes them if Christie isnt playing. Dont think anyone else in the squad has taken a non shoot out one for us. Dykes has but was injured obviously.

McLean, McTominay and McGregor all took them in both shoot outs v Israel and Serbia obviously and all three scored both, McLean taking the crucial 5th in both cases. I assume if McLean wasnt on then one of McGregor or McTominay would have hit it. Cant imagine Shankland who missed 3 for Hearts last season and got taken off them would have been above them. Armstrong himself maybe?

Shankland has scored 18/21 (86%) for Hearts in the last two seasons and, as far as I can see, is the only regular taker for his club. I'd have been fine with him stepping up.

Edited by lanky_ffc