Round of 16 thread

JS_FFC

6 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

Aye, but for all the "easy side of the draw" chat, every single other team on that side should be thinking "thank f**k it's England". 

You can overlook one iffy performance and think "oh, they'll get better as the tournament goes on", but outside of the first 20 minutes v's Serbia they have been utterly abject, so I think you can conclude that the plodding, pedestrian, mundane England we saw v's Slovakia, Slovenia, Denmark, and the remainder of the Serbia game is the real England, and there's no Scooby Doo mask to pull off. None of the teams left in the competition should have the slightest bit of fear at the prospect of playing them, and I just hope that Austria, Netherlands, or whoever they run into don't go out and play them on reputation rather than performance.

That's the rational side of it, they've been crap and Southgate is showing no appetite to change their tactics so you'd think even a competent and well organised side like the Swiss would have too much for them. Even when they scored to make it 2-1 yesterday I thought they would run away with it and it would end 4-1 as Slovakia had been blowing out their collective arse for about an hour by that point and should have been mentally shattered by the 2 goals, but instead they let Slovakia right back into it -albeit they only had that one ball across goal at the end of the first half of ET that could really be classed as a chance.

However they've clearly sacrificed many things to many gods to have the luck they've had so far both in game and with the tournament draw, and we've still to have their obligatory dodgy penalty. 

11 hours ago, GordonS said:

Spain, Germany, France, Portugal and Belgium all on the same side of the draw.

England on the other.

Shows you the importance of winning your group really. France and Belgium shouldn’t have been so shite in the group stage IMO, would’ve been a good idea.

1 hour ago, Michael W said:

France are a bit like England - a lot of expectation and also fancied to win the tournament, but they've been guff so far. Unlike England they didn't win their group and therefore ended up in the difficult side of the draw. 

Maybe this will be the day they kick into life. But then I thought that yesterday with England and they were not good at all.

Deschamps is just Southgate with a better bunch of players available to him.

38 minutes ago, throbber said:

That Jude Bellingham goal sailing in last night was amongst my worst ever experiences watching football. Right up there with when Harry Kane scored the equaliser at hampden in 2017. So undeserved.

Bellingham reckons their performance yesterday has silenced their critics, its like they were involved in a completely different match. Starting to hate the players more than the media which is weird.

I was so looking forward to the meltdown after it. I had 5live on and itv, it was going to be one of the all time great inquests.

Even if they lose to Switzerland, which I don't think will happen now, it won't be anywhere close to as nuclear as it would have been last night. Which is sad.

11 minutes ago, sparky88 said:

Bellingham reckons their performance yesterday has silenced their critics, its like they were involved in a completely different match. Starting to hate the players more than the media which is weird.

I don't see too much wrong with what he said in terms of giving them a bit of it back. Their fans have been dreadful all tournament, beyond the point we can call it demanding - it's entitlement. 

However, taking a dig at the fans, as dreadful as they might be, seldom ends well. 

Bellingham does seem like a pretty chippy c**t.  It's probably an asset in a lot of cases.  He's clearly got everything about him to be a true great, and he has that edge to him.  But he will be incredibly unlikable doing it, which stands out in a squad that's mostly filled with absolute beige.

Real shame that they chose the best 2 minutes to actually show what they have.  The fallout from getting put out by a distinctly average Slovakia side, after the tournament they had, would have been delicious.  Especially if that lob had gone in early in the second half.  Be interesting to see what the coverage is like in the run-up to the quarter.  I expect sensible fans and media will strike the right tone in being worried about what might happen, but there was definitely a shift away from "we massively got away with that" to "clearly scoring a very last minute equaliser is the sign of a champion".  

One other thing that admittedly is being brought up more than I expected, is that for all the talk of the easy side of the draw, this isn't everyone being terrified of what the one "big" nation could do, it's all the other nations going "we're delighted England are there".  Slovakia said as much, and almost got their reward.  If Switzerland don't overthink it, they stand a very good chance of beating them.  And if Austria can back up what they've done already, I imagine they'll be licking their lips in a semi-final.  

England will struggle most against teams like Switzerland and Austria.

They are well-drilled, they won’t go all-out attack and make the game too open, but they have more than enough attacking quality to cause damage when they choose to.

If you want to look really hard at the positive - Southgate was certainly away without the Bellingham goal. With another semi-final or final defeat there’s a small chance he stays on.

1 hour ago, Michael W said:

I don't see too much wrong with what he said in terms of giving them a bit of it back. Their fans have been dreadful all tournament, beyond the point we can call it demanding - it's entitlement. 

However, taking a dig at the fans, as dreadful as they might be, seldom ends well. 

Said similar last night; they're very much the Rangers of international football.

England's inability to break down a cautious team is quite perplexing, considering it's something they did quite well until recently. Slovakia's entire gameplan seemed to be to sit back, hit them on the break, then retreat into their shell for the rest of the game, which is as simple as it gets and was very nearly enough. England looked absolutely clueless about how to proceed, judging by the long periods of just passing the ball about at the back. Everyone seems to have got them sussed so far too, so they're in the "maybe we just suddenly get better out of nowhere" camp that Scotland were in.

Georgia scoring against Spain was the biggest laugh of the day, though. Doesn't mean anything in the grand scheme as they recovered well, but it was a most amusing twenty minutes or so when they were behind against a side they'd beaten 7-1 at their own gaff. The Nations League haters would've been furious.

13 minutes ago, BFTD said:

England's inability to break down a cautious team is quite perplexing, considering it's something they did quite well until recently. Slovakia's entire gameplan seemed to be to sit back, hit them on the break, then retreat into their shell for the rest of the game, which is as simple as it gets and was very nearly enough. England looked absolutely clueless about how to proceed, judging by the long periods of just passing the ball about at the back. Everyone seems to have got them sussed so far too, so they're in the "maybe we just suddenly get better out of nowhere" camp that Scotland were in.

Georgia scoring against Spain was the biggest laugh of the day, though. Doesn't mean anything in the grand scheme as they recovered well, but it was a most amusing twenty minutes or so when they were behind against a side they'd beaten 7-1 at their own gaff. The Nations League haters would've been furious.

A team that had a very promising qualifying campaign, then ultimately found wanting at a tournament.  Hands across Hadrian's Wall.

At least we've got the slight excuse that our squad is largely shite.

2 hours ago, Michael W said:

For some folk, he is putting a target on his back.  He is a young lad, with some front so I get it.  However, what I hope he will reflect on is that he has one of best coaches at club level and trains and plays with top quality players, on a regular basis.  You don't want commentators and the press calling you out because you look fed up not having those advantages at international level.  The thing that struck me reading about Diego Maradona was how much his team mates considered him a great lad -in the words of Limmy, surprisingly down to earth and very funny.  That's how I would want my team mates to see me.

9 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

Mate I'd kill for Scotland to have played as shite as England have and to be in the last 8 of a tournament.

I felt the same when we could not qualify for World Cups and Scotland could 🙂