Middle class Scottish things

27 minutes ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

It takes a village to raise a child. If the village is a scheme this person will be a schemie, always, because we are products of our environment.

If the child is raised in Bruntsfield/Morningside/Stockbridge/Marchmont/Murrayfield/dozens of other places in Edinburgh then the child will be middle class. Even if this person ends up in poverty they will always be middle class. It is not just about money.

What if you grew up in a fairly diverse school that had schemies and children of working professionals all thrown together?

53 minutes ago, throbber said:

What if you grew up in a fairly diverse school that had schemies and children of working professionals all thrown together?

My high school was fairly diverse, made up by a combination of villages that you could broadly file into two categories: i) 'upper-end working' to middle class, and ii) former-mining schemes left to rot by Thatcher.

There was little to no interaction between these groups at my high school.  Part of this was because social cliques had already been formed at primary school, but probably mostly because those who see poor grades as being a badge of honour (a mindset already instilled by more localised primary groups) tend to stick together.  Two particular mining villages not far apart had to have their kids sent to different secondaries seeing as they historically wanted to kick each others heads in all the time (and probably still do).  You didn't have to worry about the other village types.

You'd have two villages with a population of around a couple of thousand each just two miles apart, and the academic achievements would be absolutely miles apart.  I'm talking most of one year group from village #1 going onto do a 5th year, and one 'swot' from Village #2 going on to do the same, and not because one lot were all opting for college instead.

Edited by Hedgecutter

1 hour ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

You can definitely get a crossover where the working class child is attracted to the middle class child's ideas and opinions.

or conversely you end up wearing jobby catchers to your Rotary Club meeting

2 hours ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

You can definitely get a crossover where the working class child is attracted to the middle class child's ideas and opinions.

You’d think outwith Glasgow and Edinburgh where the population is denser the crossover would occur in most state schools. Even in some of the schools I can think of in Edinburgh except the very poshest areas mentioned above there is quite the mix. Broughton high school which sits in the shadows of Fettes has kids who live in Pilton Muirhouse and Royston for example.

8 hours ago, throbber said:

You’d think outwith Glasgow and Edinburgh where the population is denser the crossover would occur in most state schools. Even in some of the schools I can think of in Edinburgh except the very poshest areas mentioned above there is quite the mix. Broughton high school which sits in the shadows of Fettes has kids who live in Pilton Muirhouse and Royston for example.

We only had 1 private school in Dundee. We had a few schools which were state but part of the old 'academy' system  but integrated into 'new' system i.e. places allocated purely on geographic grounds.  Years later those few heritage academies still had an air of prestige and superiority about them  despite it being no longer accurate.  Interestingly, those schools are located in the wealthier parts of the city. (For Dundonians I'm thinking Grove, Harris and, to a lesser extent maybe,  Morgan).

6 hours ago, hk blues said:

We only had 1 private school in Dundee. We had a few schools which were state but part of the old 'academy' system  but integrated into 'new' system i.e. places allocated purely on geographic grounds.  Years later those few heritage academies still had an air of prestige and superiority about them  despite it being no longer accurate.  Interestingly, those schools are located in the wealthier parts of the city. (For Dundonians I'm thinking Grove, Harris and, to a lesser extent maybe,  Morgan).

Yeah I wasn’t sure about the school situation on Dundee tbh - I knew Aberdeen had a fair share of posh schools therefor probably had a few rough ones as well. I’d say the schools in Inverness all seem pretty diverse from what I know - maybe @ICTChriscould shed some light on the class situation when he was at school there.

The school I went to definitely had no issues with the kids from nicer parts integrating with those on council estates, it didn’t seem to be an issue at all although there were a few kids who were visibly destitute who got a slightly harder time.

Edited by throbber

2 hours ago, throbber said:

Yeah I wasn’t sure about the school situation on Dundee tbh - I knew Aberdeen had a fair share of posh schools therefor probably had a few rough ones as well. I’d say the schools in Inverness all seem pretty diverse from what I know - maybe @ICTChriscould shed some light on the class situation when he was at school there.

The school I went to definitely had no issues with the kids from rougher parts integrating with those on council estates, it didn’t seem to be an issue at all although there were a few kids who were visibly destitute who got a slightly harder time.

Did they cut the leg part off their wellies in the summer?

On 01/07/2024 at 17:36, Granny Danger said:

If P&B had been around a few years ago people would be posting ‘drinking wine’.

Funny how things change.

Isn't everybody posting drinking wine? Or Buckie or something. I certainly  couldn't stand this place sober 

On 04/07/2024 at 14:19, pozbaird said:

Keep reading about golf being a sign of ‘middle class’ as a huge sweeping statement. I can assure you, there was nothing middle class about playing golf at Paisley Barshaw public course in the 1970s. Now, I’ll grant you that there are many, many golf clubs where the clientele will be mostly white, male, of a mature age, and more interested in what car you roll up to the club in than you as a a person, but I’m simply not buying a sweeping ‘golf’ statement as a sign of anything - that covers absolutely everyone in Scotland who plays it. I’ve been playing golf since I was ten, turned out to be decent at it, enjoy it, just as I enjoyed playing five a sides back in the day. These days, if I tried to play fives, I’d be blowing out my arse after two minutes and would instantly suffer a double cruciate ligament failure in both knees - but I can still enjoy my golf with my mates, and still play it reasonably well. Keeps me fit, gets me out in the fresh air, don’t see it being anything to do with ‘class’. I just like playing golf. 

Rant over. If anyone simply doesn’t like golf and thinks it’s shite, fair enough. I think rugby union is utter shite. Each to their own. Now all you anti-golfers can fcuk off. My Pringle cashmere jumper needs a hand wash. 😁

Both rugby and golf are shite sports based on middle class pretension. 

Gutted for you. 

IMG_20240228_202524.thumb.jpg.1bf692807090b064a0fdac0cc320feb8.jpg

On 04/07/2024 at 17:58, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

It takes a village to raise a child. If the village is a scheme this person will be a schemie, always, because we are products of our environment.

If the child is raised in Bruntsfield/Morningside/Stockbridge/Marchmont/Murrayfield/dozens of other places in Edinburgh then the child will be middle class. Even if this person ends up in poverty they will always be middle class. It is not just about money.

I agree with most of this, I grew up in Gilmerton, and went to Liberton High School. 

I still have a working class mentality, chip on my shoulder about entitled wanks that went to private schools, and despise anyone who even considers voting tory.

My wife was brought up in a pretty well off area near Stirling, and her attitudes to many things - like money - are very different to mine.

I fucking panic if there isnt enough cashflow in the joint account (even if its irrational as overall we are fine) while she is totally sanguine about it, probably because she never saw poor people struggle as a child.

On 04/07/2024 at 18:52, throbber said:

We were jammy financially with the flats we bought when younger and were lucky enough to ultimately move into a very decent area - the catchment for Sciennes / Gillespies (actually at a time when we thought we couldnt have kids !) - over 20 years ago.

Gillespies has catchments from some less well off areas (Tollcross for example) and you could almost see the demographic differences when our son was at school.

Kids either dressed in fashionable casual wear..............or the uniform of the scheme (black jobby catchers, black hoodie and nike trainers). 

It looked to me that most of the kids that stayed on to 5th and 6th years were from the wealthier areas.

On 04/07/2024 at 16:19, pozbaird said:

Keep reading about golf being a sign of ‘middle class’ as a huge sweeping statement. I can assure you, there was nothing middle class about playing golf at Paisley Barshaw public course in the 1970s. Now, I’ll grant you that there are many, many golf clubs where the clientele will be mostly white, male, of a mature age, and more interested in what car you roll up to the club in than you as a a person, but I’m simply not buying a sweeping ‘golf’ statement as a sign of anything - that covers absolutely everyone in Scotland who plays it. I’ve been playing golf since I was ten, turned out to be decent at it, enjoy it, just as I enjoyed playing five a sides back in the day. These days, if I tried to play fives, I’d be blowing out my arse after two minutes and would instantly suffer a double cruciate ligament failure in both knees - but I can still enjoy my golf with my mates, and still play it reasonably well. Keeps me fit, gets me out in the fresh air, don’t see it being anything to do with ‘class’. I just like playing golf. 

Rant over. If anyone simply doesn’t like golf and thinks it’s shite, fair enough. I think rugby union is utter shite. Each to their own. Now all you anti-golfers can fcuk off. My Pringle cashmere jumper needs a hand wash. 😁

I golf down at Craigentinny and it is anything but middle class. The camaraderie is class and so is the Tennents.

It's the private golf courses and the mentality that comes with that I can't stand. Stand offish and 'I'm alright jack' mentality.

On 05/07/2024 at 09:12, throbber said:

The school I went to definitely had no issues with the kids from nicer parts integrating with those on council estates, it didn’t seem to be an issue at all although there were a few kids who were visibly destitute who got a slightly harder time.

Sorry I have notifications turned off so didn’t see this.

There are no private schools in Inverness. When I was at school it was all different backgrounds, from the children of various rich businessmen to people from what a tabloid might call a sink estate who ended up in prison. Despite this, there was a bit of snootiness about the best school - when I was a kid a couple of families put placement requests for their kid to go to Millburn instead of my school, the IRA. I think Millburn was seen as having a better catchment area which I honestly don’t see. It was all pretty much the same. 

The High School was considered probably the roughest secondary in Inverness, its catchment area is Merkinch and the Ferry, which certainly back then had considerable poverty. The roll is pretty low there but I understand most years they didn’t present any kids for Highers.

One of my friends from primary school went to boarding school for secondary, I think he went to strath Allan. A guy I was mates with went to Gordonstoun for his sixth year on a scholarship, he ended up being mates with Zara Phillips.