El Final: 🇪🇸 Spain v England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

ClydeTon

21 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

He was embarrassed by it, and should have made amends earlier.

Did he explain why it took him 25 years to apologise?

18 minutes ago, Arthur Orton said:

I'd suggest he's letting his dislike influence his opinion .

Baddiel is an English graduate from Cambridge, an author, a writer etc and is certainly not thick.

His apology did take too long but he has shown genuine regret.

Baddiel is thick or intellectually dishonest as any actual analysis of his writing would reveal. Given his solo attempts at any sort of creative endeavour I'm going with the firmer with a dash of the latter.

Still being impressed in the 21st century that someone who went to public school manged to make it to Oxbridge and then miraculously manges to use their contacts to have a media career and platform is being thick too.

20 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

On the other hand, England fans on other corners of the internet appears to think that not wanting England to win is racism. Deary me.

Undoubtedly one of the best things about ABE is that it upsets the absolute worst people on both sides of the border.

I will never forget the Spain game at Hampden in March 2023 - it was a sensational performance and atmosphere and certainly one of the best feelings I have ever had in a football ground (and I have seen my club win a European trophy...ok two if you count the Super Cup) It would be great to look back on that night as the one when we beat the eventual European Champions (the only country do so in qualifying and tournament)

Oh that and to see the crestfallen English media's dreams shattered once again and put the phrase "it's coming 'ome" on the back burner for another couple of years.

I was toying with the idea of doing a Denis Law and playing golf when the final is on (done that during quite a few EWngland games to be fair - semi v Croatia in 2018 and the first half of Euro 21 final) However, this time round I am quite convinced the superior Spanish team will dominate from the outset and it could be rather pleasureable viewing,

24 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Undoubtedly one of the best things about ABE is that it upsets the absolute worst people on both sides of the border.

ABE is still funny after all these years if taken in the correct context. As usual, when media outlets and look how clever I am online types get hold of it for one reason or another, they absolutely butcher it. 

The John McGinn thing was a good example. His thing with Watkins was in good humour. He was clearly just fucking about with his pal. And now the whole thing has been turned into a hill for people to cringe themselves to death on. 

1 hour ago, Arthur Orton said:

I'd suggest he's letting his dislike influence his opinion .

Baddiel is an English graduate from Cambridge, an author, a writer etc and is certainly not thick.

Plenty of thick people have degrees and/or have written books.

Went to Oxbridge = intellectual is a massive part of what's wrong with this country

2 hours ago, Arthur Orton said:

I'd suggest he's letting his dislike get in the way of his feelings.

Baddiel is English graduate from Cambridge, an author, a writer etc is certainly not thick.

Boris Johnston graduated from Oxford, is an author, a writer etc.

If someone who didn’t obtain a good education did some of the things some expensively educated people do I think many people would quickly form the opinion their actions indicate they are thick, at least in relation to their interactions with the real world. *

I think it’s fair to say an expensive private education, particularly one supplemented by one to one tuition, gives a student a significant advantage of gaining good grades over a student that has to work part time 16 hours + a week to help fund their education / assist with family finances.  This is all before you consider any networking opportunities one student has over the other.

* I’m not saying anything about Baddiel as it appears I am one of the few people who has never seen a single episode of any Baddiel / Skinner show and have not followed what he has been saying.

41 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Have you all forgotten this?

Save us Roberto': Scottish newspaper causes stir with front-page support  for Italy in Euro 2020 against England | The Independent

I see that as more of a pro-Italian cover rather than the cringeworthy one they have this time. 

It shows the very worst aspects of nationalism and we as a nation should be much better than stooping to the level of the red tops from south of the border. I say this as a lifelong supporter of Scottish independence.