Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

But when they call for say rows 1-10, surely you just wait til that queue of people has gone down then walk straight on before the other rows are called? Why would being sensible annoy anyone?

In theory yes, but in my experience they usually start calling for the next set of rows before the previous have finished queuing.

My original post was about the people who leave it to the very last possible moment before boarding - even to the point of being called for when they're sitting at the gate. That's not being sensible, surely?

Once booked the 6 seats at the front of a plane. 2 people had to call off on the morning of the flight. Was a bit pissed off that the airline resold the seats that I had already paid for. I know its what they do but I did live in hope that they wouldn't.

My thing is being called through the gate and forced to stand on a stairway or shivering outside before the plane has even landed. Ryanair are particularly bad for it.

Do what I do - wait until they're practically closing the doors before going to board...[emoji6]

49 minutes ago, hk blues said:

In theory yes, but in my experience they usually start calling for the next set of rows before the previous have finished queuing.

My original post was about the people who leave it to the very last possible moment before boarding - even to the point of being called for when they're sitting at the gate. That's not being sensible, surely?

Okay yeah that would be annoying if someone was intentionally holding up the plane to the point of being called out by name to come to the gate.

1 hour ago, supermik said:

Once booked the 6 seats at the front of a plane. 2 people had to call off on the morning of the flight. Was a bit pissed off that the airline resold the seats that I had already paid for. I know its what they do but I did live in hope that they wouldn't.

How did they know people had called off to be able to resell them?

6 minutes ago, supermik said:

We were a party of 6 and when we only checked 4 of us in then guess they kind of knew then. Do airlines not usually sell on the seats after check in has closed to people waitin on stand by?

It's pretty standard practice with airlines to oversell every flight by a few seats, based on the presumption that some passengers won't show.  Not everyone pays to pre-book a seat, so on the day the non-payer get allocated whatever seat.  If everyone does show, then some poor b*****ds get bumped onto a different flight and bought off with compo.

10 minutes ago, supermik said:

We were a party of 6 and when we only checked 4 of us in then guess they kind of knew then. Do airlines not usually sell on the seats after check in has closed to people waitin on stand by?

Ah, gotcha. 

It's pretty standard practice with airlines to oversell every flight by a few seats, based on the presumption that some passengers won't show.  Not everyone pays to pre-book a seat, so on the day the non-payer get allocated whatever seat.  If everyone does show, then some poor b*****ds get bumped onto a different flight and bought off with compo.

Surely that can't be true? :lol:

By the laws of probability (I think), at least some flights will have all paying passengers show up for the flight, and there's no chance the average punter would be told "sorry, we overbooked deliberately because we think some people won't show. It's okay though, we've got your flight to Tenerife for tomorrow evening, I'm sure you'll understand."

...and just accept that.

My PTTGOMN is the boozer I'm in switched the TVs over to BDO Women's darts at 2:57pm on a Saturday afternoon. What the f**k is that all about?

4 minutes ago, smpar said:

By the laws of probability (I think), at least some flights will have all paying passengers show up for the flight, and there's no chance the average punter would be told "sorry, we overbooked deliberately because we think some people won't show. It's okay though, we've got your flight to Tenerife for tomorrow evening, I'm sure you'll understand."

...and just accept that.

True.

They don't tell the punter that the overbooking is deliberate, right enough, but it's pretty much standard practice.  They try and get the punter on the next available flight to wherever they are going, ideally the same airline's next flight, but if not practical, then they book them onto some other airline's next flight.

Have been ready at the gate a few times (sitting waiting for my appropriate time to board, of course) when they start asking if anyone would be willing to go on another flight, followed a few minutes later with another announcement asking if anyone would be willing to go on another flight with added compensation.

There are usually no further announcements, and a separate queue forming!

28 minutes ago, smpar said:

...and just accept that.

Yes it happens and dependant on circumstances it can be fantastic as you get a fair wedge as compo. 

Yes it happens and dependant on circumstances it can be fantastic as you get a fair wedge as compo. 

It just seems like a bizarre concept to me, I suppose some folk won't feel too hacked off if it means they get a decent payout from it.

16 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

What kinda compo are you talking? Never knew this existed

You have to bargain with them but I've heard of people getting £150 plus hotel with taxis and a flight the next day for short haul. Great if you're not in a hurry.

What kinda compo are you talking? Never knew this existed

On the way back from Malta after Scotland game last year. Air Malta offered €500 to get off our Malta to Gatwick flight and fly Malta-Rome-Heathrow as flight overbooked.

Would have got to Heathrow an hour after due are Gatwick and only have 2 hours to get to Gatwick

Was tempted but as had an Easyjet Gatwick-Glasgow flight decided no.