Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

8 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

Since I left school, high school pupils now appear to be called "students". Bugs me on two levels. Student, IMO, has a suggestion of the person voluntarily going through some sort of education programme. It takes away the delineation between kids at school and people at uni but also gives the wee brats a level of importance they've done nothing to achieve. 

I blame the popularity of the likes of High School Musical and Glee for introducing this shite this side of the pond- you hear of kids having graduations, proms, yearbooks and so on like they're going to fucking Rydell High instead of some crumbling shitpit in the suburbs of Glasgow.

Even the term "high school" is a creeping Americanisation. If you're from Scotland, it's secondary, end of.

12 minutes ago, Hillonearth said:

I blame the popularity of the likes of High School Musical and Glee for introducing this shite this side of the pond- you hear of kids having graduations, proms, yearbooks and so on like they're going to fucking Rydell High instead of some crumbling shitpit in the suburbs of Glasgow.

Even the term "high school" is a creeping Americanisation. If you're from Scotland, it's secondary, end of.

You tell 'em girlfriend!

1 hour ago, Hillonearth said:

How about The High School of Glasgow? It was founded in 1124. 650 years before America existed.

Just now, Cerberus said:

How about The High School of Glasgow? It was founded in 1124. 650 years before America existed.

Granted it appears in the name of some schools and it's obviously legit when you're referring to one of those establishments by name. I'm talking about generically referring to the period of education between primary (or grade school as we'll no doubt be calling it soon) and university as "high school"

It seems to be a generational thing - if you're any younger than 30 you probably called it "high school" and never really thought about it. It sounds jarring to anyone even a few years older though.

1 minute ago, Hillonearth said:

Granted it appears in the name of some schools and it's obviously legit when you're referring to one of those establishments by name. I'm talking about generically referring to the period of education between primary (or grade school as we'll no doubt be calling it soon) and university as "high school"

It seems to be a generational thing - if you're any younger than 30 you probably called it "high school" and never really thought about it. It sounds jarring to anyone even a few years older though.

In Fife it was always Primary School and High School in the 1970's. Or "Skil" to be precise...

2 minutes ago, Angusfifer said:

Folk that claim your nationality is determined by your passport. No it isnae.

My wife was born in Kalisz and holds a UK passport. She is Polish and a UK citizen. I was born in Dundee, am Scottish and a UK citizen...

I'm with you on here.  My kids have British passports and see themselves as Scots/Swedes.  My eldest is on record as saying she's "Half Scottish, half Swedish and a little bit English".  I've a British passport and I'm a Scot.  My most recent ex wife has a (new) Brit passport and sees herself as a Swede.

The bit that really irks me is that we could enjoy these anecdotal variations...before Brexit.  Now it seems to have become serious.

Just now, Angusfifer said:

In Fife it was always Primary School and High School in the 1970's. Or "Skil" to be precise...

It seems to have happened more recently over here. My missus is early 30s and always called it secondary, even though she went to a semi-posh "Academy" in Bearsden - we'd actually just been talking about this a couple of months ago. By the time her sister who's six or seven years younger was going there, the same place was being referred to as "high" by the pupils.

At the risk of everything I post here being about tea in the workplace...

Right. This one doesn't bother me. If bothers our cleaner.

After I finish my tea I rinse the mug in warm water and put it back on the shelf. This, obviously, stains the inside of my mug. It's clean. Just.. tea stained.

This drives the cleaner round the bend and she's just ordered a box bleaching tablets JUST for my mug.

Anyone else get annoyed at tea stained mugs? Seems a bit OCD to me. But maybe I'm just a manky b*****d.

I went on a cleaning buzz in work and scrubbed the whole kitchen. Some old p***k had a mug with years of tea stains in it that I made brand new. Turns out the stains add flavour to his tea and e was fuming about it.

37 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

I'm with you on here.  My kids have British passports and see themselves as Scots/Swedes.  My eldest is on record as saying she's "Half Scottish, half Swedish and a little bit English".  I've a British passport and I'm a Scot.  My most recent ex wife has a (new) Brit passport and sees herself as a Swede.

The bit that really irks me is that we could enjoy these anecdotal variations...before Brexit.  Now it seems to have become serious.

Is it the Scottish bit or the English bit that's rubbish at maths?