Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

17 hours ago, GordonD said:

People who walk side by side on a narrow pavement, as if they're expecting me either to step out into the road and get hit from behind by a bus, or else climb the wall like fucking Spider-Man.

Students are normally dreadful for this, but this year's intake at Glasgow Uni seem to be even bigger c***s than normal.

2 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

Students are normally dreadful for this, but this year's intake at Glasgow Uni seem to be even bigger c***s than normal.

You just reminded me of something I was going to post the other day - people who stand in the lobby of Hillhead Subway station in front of the ticket machines, completely blocking people entering or leaving the station.

Does this happen to anyone else because I've never experienced it before but it's now happened to me about 4 or 5 times this year: Fuckwits who grab the 'next customer please' divider at the supermarket and start loading their stuff onto the conveyor belt while you're still loading your trolley load on despite you still having a shitload of items in your trolley that are clearly going to take up the full belt?

Just happened to me yet again today. 

Fucking morons. 

People with umbrellas. The majority of them are inconsiderate selfish arseholes. Normally they are looking down as well, not making any attempt to avoid taking someone's eye out with it. Which leaves normal people having to dodge these fucking things.

1 hour ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

You just reminded me of something I was going to post the other day - people who stand in the lobby of Hillhead Subway station in front of the ticket machines, completely blocking people entering or leaving the station.

There was a group of fuckwits doing that yesterday, made it tricky for most people, but impossible for the poor guy with the guide dog. Fortunately, a proper West End Wifie got them telt.

1 hour ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Staff at Haymarket are fucking awful for that. They just hang around immediately behind the barriers chatting and doing f**k all. Blocking use of at least half the barriers to get to the platforms.

See if you took about 3 steps back, you would be in absolutely nobody's way and still be close enough to deal with any issues at the barrier. What's so fucking difficult about that?

22 hours ago, GordonD said:

People who walk side by side on a narrow pavement, as if they're expecting me either to step out into the road and get hit from behind by a bus, or else climb the wall like fucking Spider-Man.

It’s one of my biggest pet hates. Cathedral Street in Glasgow is terrible for this.

On the student theme, the amount of litter left during Freshers week in the aforementioned street is ridiculous. For a bunch of folk who bang on about the environment, shitey flyers about having £4 off paintball seems to be fair game.

4 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

does Glasgow get its share of middle class south east England patronise the jockos w****r students like Edinburgh Uni gets or are they native Scottish wankers?

Tbf to freshers (and other undergrads), their presence has suddenly reduced the odds of me losing my lunch to a seagull from 3/1 to 120/1.

I do kind of enjoy the game of pavement chicken these days though. If you're older, taller and adopt a "bring it on" forward shoulder then 99% of the time they'll move out of the way at the last second.

My main student gripe just now relates to backpack wearing students that are unaware that these bags take up space when they're suddenly turning around within enclosed spaces such as shops. That and people that suddenly stop on the pavement, usually when they hear that they have a new text.

The incorrect use of 'just about'. It's particularly common in sports commentary, and especially in football (with MOTD commentators being the worst offenders).

'Just about' means that someone nearly did something, that they got close to it, but didn't do it. It does not mean that someone only just did something.

'Only just' is what they should be saying.

18 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Tbf to freshers (and other undergrads), their presence has suddenly reduced the odds of me losing my lunch to a seagull from 3/1 to 120/1.

I do kind of enjoy the game of pavement chicken these days though. If you're older, taller and adopt a "bring it on" forward shoulder then 99% of the time they'll move out of the way at the last second.

My main student gripe just now relates to backpack wearing students that are unaware that these bags take up space when they're suddenly turning around within enclosed spaces such as shops. That and people that suddenly stop on the pavement, usually when they hear that they have a new text.

Backpacks are great for passive aggresive barging though. You can give them a really good barge but you don't look as much of a c**t as if you just shoulder charge someone.

The incorrect use of 'just about'. It's particularly common in sports commentary, and especially in football (with MOTD commentators being the worst offenders).
'Just about' means that someone nearly did something, that they got close to it, but didn't do it. It does not mean that someone only just did something.
'Only just' is what they should be saying.

This irritates me a lot too

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

People with umbrellas. The majority of them are inconsiderate selfish arseholes. Normally they are looking down as well, not making any attempt to avoid taking someone's eye out with it. Which leaves normal people having to dodge these fucking things.

The folded umbrella is either tucked under the arm to swipe unsuspecting bystanders with the three inch metal spike or swung around with the same absence of awareness. 

Umbrella hats are excluded.