Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

3 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Dressing room wall messages.

With my eyesight, I'd suggest EXIT...TO THE PITCH...TURN LEFT etc

'TRY AND SCORE MORE GOALS THAN THE OPPOSITION FOR A CHANGE YOU USELESS p***kS'

2 hours ago, GordonD said:

That's the joke.jpg

I just wanted to make the crack about Mathematics' missus, if I'm being honest.

Also, the McCann investigators would surely be looking for serial killers around the Copacabana, Monte Carlo, possibly Dubai...

1 hour ago, Mark Connolly said:

Saw a clip of an old match at the Dell recently, and it reminded me of their goals, which were barely a couple of yards deep.

TheDell.PNG

Those used to be pretty common. Part of the exotic nature of World Cups was seeing those nets that were practically as deep as they were tall. Just screamed luxury and decadence.

It was a simpler time.

2 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:
2 hours ago, Empty It said:
Black nets matter

In all seriousness just black nets or all coloured nets?

Just black. Don't mind patterns as long as it's white and something.

Black?

West Ham's nets at Upton Park used to be a bit..cozy.

Net2.jpg

From the website whufc.com

If these nets were before your time, I’m not sure I can adequately describe how inadequate they were as top level football nets. The nets at either end of the pitch were about half a metre deep, beyond that, flush to to the net, a pair of stanchions keeping them taut and finally beyond that, flush to the stanchions, an advertising board with rows of children’s faces resting upon it. All of these items, from the touchline to the first fan, within a metre or so.

One of my favourite sights of early trips to West Ham was undoubtedly the scene of children’s faces pressed into the back of the net; so close that if a powerful shot went in, there was little the net would do to prevent you from still getting it in the mush. As the north and south stands were eventually replaced, so was the minimum nettage. But not before their finest moment.

8 May 1993, West Ham at home to Cambridge United, needing a victory to secure promotion into the second season of the Premier League. 1-0 up with moments to play. Watching it back on YouTube, you will see the sight of West Ham fans stood with their toes bordering on the touchline and also, toes, knees, chests and faces pressed against the net itself. Final moment of the season, Julian Dicks squares it for Clive Allen to roll it into an empty net: pandemonium. The minimum nettage takes an absolute pounding from the onrushing crowd, but we wouldn’t have had it any other way. 

28 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Part of the exotic nature of World Cups was seeing those nets that were practically as deep as they were tall. Just screamed luxury and decadence.

It was a simpler time.

Growing up in England, I was always envious of Hampden Park's nets, which I thought looked cool as. I never gave a thought to the end terracing fans being 3/4 of a mile away from the opposite goal.

That 1980s Sports Blog: Goal nets, posts, and stanchions of the 1980s

Buoyed up with the chance of a pint, I booked a few days away. Despite the site saying that there's no extra charge for dogs, I'm now told that there's a £20 charge for cleaning since we have a dog.

Edited by Hampden Diehard

17 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

I used to like St Johnstone's nets. They had a fair bit of extra lying at the bottom but it was great when there was a goal. Not like the tight ones that are the norm now.

IIRC they had square posts until quite late too.