Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

58 minutes ago, scottmcleanscontacts said:

Has anyone else recently had Hearts supporters in their hoose?

They are the furthest thing from scary you could ever find - they are slow and cumbersome and have a wee pinhead body and ridiculous long skinny legs.

FTFY

1 hour ago, scottmcleanscontacts said:

Talking of spiders -

Has anyone else recently had these weird, slightly daddy long legs, type spiders in their hoose?

They are the furthest thing from scary you could ever find - they are slow and cumbersome and have a wee pinhead body and ridiculous long skinny legs.

They've actually helped with my fear of spiders a bit.

They're called daddy long legs spiders. There is still a simmering resentment at my work between me and the "it's a crane fly" crew and the spider posse following a particularly poorly researched friday quiz. 

Yeah they do catch and eat other spiders including those spiders very much bigger than them and pretty much anything else they can take down in their webs. Those legs give them a reach to stay out of the grab range of the likes of a house spider and they also they can move fast when they want to.
I'd genuinely love to see one in action. Their movement is so awkward I couldn't imagine them being particularly fast. They are pretty fascinating things though.

I didn't know they existed until moving house a while back. In the old place there was plenty of monster spiders - proper fucking dogs with eight legs - but in this hoose I've not seen too many, maybe because the Cellar Spider is charging about the place devouring them.

There has been a suicidal cat outside my house for the past week, if you are driving, it will lie in the road and not move till you get out and walk over to it. 

Yesterday morning I noticed when it was walking away that it was shaking. His back legs also seemed disjointed. Also incredibly scrawny. I thought that a car had possibly hit it. So I rung the Rspca to report it, they asked if I could contain it, and take it to a local vet. It had no collar, but when I gave it to the vet they said she was microchipped and would return to owner. 

Last night I got a call from the vet saying the owner came to collect and would like me to ring. I presumed to say thanks. 

Rung the number and had the most obnoxious bint have a go at me for not trying to return it to it's owner. I explained it had no collar "she is arthritic, we can't put a collar on", so I asked if she wanted me to knock every door on the street to find out where the bugger was from. She said the cat was 22 and she wanted it to have a happy life. I tried explaining a happy life isn't being run over by a DPD van, but she was having none of it. She just couldn't see my viewpoint at all.

Utterly fucked me off. 

6 minutes ago, LondonHMFC said:

There has been a suicidal cat outside my house for the past week, if you are driving, it will lie in the road and not move till you get out and walk over to it. 

Yesterday morning I noticed when it was walking away that it was shaking. His back legs also seemed disjointed. Also incredibly scrawny. I thought that a car had possibly hit it. So I rung the Rspca to report it, they asked if I could contain it, and take it to a local vet. It had no collar, but when I gave it to the vet they said she was microchipped and would return to owner. 

Last night I got a call from the vet saying the owner came to collect and would like me to ring. I presumed to say thanks. 

Rung the number and had the most obnoxious bint have a go at me for not trying to return it to it's owner. I explained it had no collar "she is arthritic, we can't put a collar on", so I asked if she wanted me to knock every door on the street to find out where the bugger was from. She said the cat was 22 and she wanted it to have a happy life. I tried explaining a happy life isn't being run over by a DPD van, but she was having none of it. She just couldn't see my viewpoint at all.

Utterly fucked me off. 

Just run it over next time

12 minutes ago, LondonHMFC said:

Just keep scraping up roadkill and leave it on her doorstep with the message "Found this on the road and had to presume it was your's.  Sorry for your loss".  

Utterly fucked me off. 
What a truly horrible person.

Utterly fucked me off. 
This might even just about be better suited to the Scummy Behaviour thread.

I've heard loads of tales of people that work in animal shelters and vets etc that act like absolute utter c***s. My dream is to create my own cat/dog shelter so this probably ties in well with the stereotype.

Edited by Stellaboz

Utterly fucked me off. 

Next time you see it, leave it in the wheelie bin.

Please don’t, that’s cruel.

Eggheads (& other quiz trivia shows) where contestants are allowed to witter on about how they know the answer to as if it's some sorta virtue, in this case, which film George C. Scott declined to accept his Oscar (Patton - which I knew) but as I say there's no glory in this.

In general I think a memory for trivia is a minor aspect of intelligence and one which with the internet is less useful. I'm used as the gotoguy for 60/70/80s pop'n'rock at work but even I have to say regularly "you'd better check that on the net".

Having said that knowing things like which Mindbender's hit Wayne Fontana sang on has been more use to me than any of my Highers! 

Edit - Having said all that my son just phoned up to find the name of some 90s fillum about cannibalism that starred a Scottish actor........

Spoiler

Ravenous

Edited by btb

2 hours ago, LondonHMFC said:

Get her and the cat pumped.