Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

I’ve got an iPad Air that’s probably about 7 years old, battery is just beginning to go now. I’ll be getting a replacement battery before I’d even consider getting a new one! Same for my phone, I think mine is an iPhone 7 on a £14 a month Sim only deal. The battery is getting shite on that as well, so I’ll just get a new battery instead of spending fortunes on a phone.

iPhone 7, about £14 p/m...represent brother! Deal is up soon though and DA has enlightened me to path to guaranteed success so will be upgrading when it’s run out / I can be arsed.

That's the spirit! One of us...

I use shit out too. Once had a phone that had a cracked screen, was missing two buttons and had been melted in an oven in a couple of places. Had my previous phone for about 3 or so years and old got a newer one as it was free as part of my (pretty cheap) contract. 
Had my old TV for 5 years until my parents got a new one and gave me their old one  Had my iPod since 2012 and hope to never have to replace it.

Why did you put your phone in the oven?

1 hour ago, Shandon Par said:

Sounds like the battery is fucked. Or the charger. Have you switched it on at the wall? Anything beyond about 22 months for an iPad/iPhone and you’re on borrowed time.

I'm going to track down and murder the next person to ignore the point of my initial rant, I swear to Christ. Either that, or you're all going to make me cry in front of my son.

I DO NOT GIVE A f**k ABOUT THE IPAD. I WIPE MY ARSE WITH THE IPAD. AT THIS RATE, I WILL DESTROY THE IPAD AND POST PICTURES.

19 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

I'm going to track down and murder the next person to ignore the point of my initial rant, I swear to Christ. Either that, or you're all going to make me cry in front of my son.

I DO NOT GIVE A f**k ABOUT THE IPAD. I WIPE MY ARSE WITH THE IPAD. AT THIS RATE, I WILL DESTROY THE IPAD AND POST PICTURES.

Sorry, what was the point?

6CF98FB4-C0C6-4A2A-8B56-DF584BF0A80D.jpeg

26 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Is the ipad part of the cone?

You're ahead of the curve on this one. Like a surgeon to my deranged hammer killer.

35 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

I’m astounded that you thought this would go any other way.

The naivety.

1 minute ago, Granny Danger said:

I’m astounded that you thought this would go any other way.

The naivety.

I'm not feeling well. I think I need to lie down.

1 minute ago, The Skelpit Lug said:

Jeez, Dave, just have Corn Flakes tomorrow morning.

I'm on a diet. There's a packet of Crunchy Nut Corn Flakes in the cupboard calling me, but they are verboten.

This may have affected my mood, thinking about it.

5 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

It’s like you’re only operating at 20% capacity.

I have an old iPad like that...

You were already on The List.

4 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Recently inherited the wean’s old iPad. Handy for playing videos and music while doing other stuff. I’ve noticed that it turns itself on when you plug it in to charge, which I didn’t know about until leaving it charging all night, only to find it was at 20% capacity. What’s worse is that is, if the battery is flat, it waits until it’s holding a minimum charge, THEN turns itself back on, so you have to hang about for the fucking thing to decide it’s ready for you to turn it off.

Figured this behaviour must be something you can change, so I looked at a few forums with other people asking the same question. The answers amount to no, you cannot change this behaviour. Apple has forbidden it. Why would you want to change this when Apple have decreed that it must be so? You are obviously using your device incorrectly if you do not wish it to be turned on while not in use.

All typed with a calm, rational, terrifying intensity. I’ve had my suspicions before, but this is a cult, isn’t it?

two solutions:

1) plug in the charging cable first, then turn the thing off normally - it'll carry on charging in spite of being 'off'

2) make sure you have a passcode set to activate the thing; when you plug it in, the log-in screen should come up - if you do not enter the code, it'll sleep when your pre-set "sleep when inactive for xx minutes" duration expires

thank you for choosing Apple products - have a nice day !

3 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

...but it does everything I need it to during the day...?  

Don't get too comfortable. My old phone used to do something similar and sit around the 32% for hours upon hours and never move. One day I hung up a call and the phone went off, never to return. It would just go into one long power up cycle until it was completely dead. Recharge all night and whilst it was charging it'd come on, go off, come on, go off. 

Fried motherboard and they wanted more to replace than the phone was worth at that point. Enjoy it while it lasts. 

12 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Hide contents

I use shit out too. Once had a phone that had a cracked screen, was missing two buttons and had been melted in an oven in a couple of places.

12 hours ago, Chicken Wing said:

Why did you put your phone in the oven?

More than once, it would seem.