Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

Just now, Newbornbairn said:

I've read that ten times and still can't fathom it.

Have to drink a lot because it’s so hot.  Get fed up drinking water or water and orange (my main cold beverages).  End up drinking beer (more calories and alcohol than I want).  Changed to low calorie beer to rectify.

Any clearer?

Just now, Granny Danger said:

Have to drink a lot because it’s so hot.  Get fed up drinking water or water and orange (my main cold beverages).  End up drinking beer (more calories and alcohol than I want).  Changed to low calorie beer to rectify.

Any clearer?

Nope. It's the low calorie beer bit. For why? I've seen people drink it for medicinal reasons but never from choice.

1 minute ago, Newbornbairn said:

Nope. It's the low calorie beer bit. For why? I've seen people drink it for medicinal reasons but never from choice.

Prescriptions over here aren’t free but they are ridiculously cheap.  I’ll have a word with my doctor.

56 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I’ve started drinking low alcohol beer as an alternative to drinking water or water and orange or real beer.

Given the heat here drinking regularly is necessary and I was conscious how much fewer calories the non-alcoholic stuff has compared to real beer, with the added benefit of reducing my alcohol intake.

Many moons ago when I worked behind the bar in my local,  there was a regular customer who would ask for a bottle of non-alcoholic Kaliber beer in a pint glass, topped up with lager. So it tasted like regular lager but about a third of the strength. He liked it as an alternative to lager shandies as the lemonade got sickly after a couple. Quite a good idea I thought.

2 minutes ago, Zetterlund said:

Many moons ago when I worked behind the bar in my local,  there was a regular customer who would ask for a bottle of non-alcoholic Kaliber beer in a pint glass, topped up with lager. So it tasted like regular lager but about a third of the strength. He liked it as an alternative to lager shandies as the lemonade got sickly after a couple. Quite a good idea I thought.

Over the years I’ve tried well known brands of non-alcoholic beers and not been impressed.  The stuff I’m drinking now is cheap brands from Aldi and Mercadona and it’s far better.

22 hours ago, Newbornbairn said:

Forth Valley? I've got an MRI this Sunday

ETA - in case that came out wrong, I'm just saying if it's Forth Valley they're lying to you. I had a check in there on Wed afternoon and they said they'd arrange an MRI. I got a call on Thu morning giving me a choice of appointments on Sunday. 

My wife just got out after 2 weeks seriously ill. She discharged herself because of the utter uselessness of some of the nurses. She's making a better recovery at home than she was in there. 

She now has sepsis

25 minutes ago, Andy Dufresne said:

She now has sepsis

Jesus - that place really is something else.  Same thing happened to my wife - infection markers went off the scale and one of her kidneys shut down. Her canula sites all got infected too. 

There was an Indian nurse on duty a couple of nights, an older woman who seemed very competent and efficient. Turns out her husband travels the world with his job and she takes agency work in hospitals nearby. She rates British hospitals as among the worst she's worked in. She was looking forward to October when she's off to Iran where the health service is miles ahead of ours apparently. 

21 minutes ago, Newbornbairn said:

Jesus - that place really is something else.  Same thing happened to my wife - infection markers went off the scale and one of her kidneys shut down. Her canula sites all got infected too. 

There was an Indian nurse on duty a couple of nights, an older woman who seemed very competent and efficient. Turns out her husband travels the world with his job and she takes agency work in hospitals nearby. She rates British hospitals as among the worst she's worked in. She was looking forward to October when she's off to Iran where the health service is miles ahead of ours apparently. 

Aye but if nurses get the chop here the only thing they lose is their job.

1 minute ago, tamthebam said:

Who is more important? The cleaner who is at the front line of disinfecting hospitals or the manager of the trust who awards the contract to the lowest bidder who pays a pittance to the cleaners?

Last place I worked got rid of the cleaners because they were shite.

New contract allocated; new contractor hired the same cleaners because they had experience working in that specific work place.

Unsurprisingly, they were still shite but the contract was for 2 years.

2 minutes ago, Loonytoons said:

New contract allocated; new contractor hired the same cleaners because they had experience working in that specific work place.

If I was paid the minimum wage as cleaners tend to be I wouldn't be knocking my pan out to do a good job.

Maybe by paying better money and showing they are integral to healthcare rather than treating them as being bottom of the heap things might improve 

Or perhaps I'm just some dangerous Bolshevik 

1 minute ago, tamthebam said:

If I was paid the minimum wage as cleaners tend to be I wouldn't be knocking my pan out to do a good job.

Maybe by paying better money and showing they are integral to healthcare rather than treating them as being bottom of the heap things might improve 

Or perhaps I'm just some dangerous Bolshevik 

Really can't argue with that at all.

Previous post was aimed at procurement looking for the cheapest option and getting the same result when they went for the cheapest option.

Why these jobs are tendered out to external companies resulting in an inability to hold them to account is just bizarre.

10 hours ago, Loonytoons said:

They might have been obliged to take them on.