Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

I was in Scotland as well today, probably saw you.

Saw me? You probably know me. In fact your probably related to me.

Lived in London for several years, and there are plenty of folk there who would consider that a reasonable assumption, in a Hills Have Eyes/Deliverance/Fife way.

Although in the States, I was asked if I was related to Sean Connery. On more than one occasion. Seriously boys, go visit America. Knee deep, I'm tellin' ya.

Edit for added offence to Fifers :thumsup2

Edited by BigFatTabbyDave

Although in the States, I was asked if I was related to Sean Connery. On more than one occasion. Seriously boys, go visit America. Knee deep, I'm tellin' ya.

When I first moved here I was asked, in all seriousness, where I learned to speak English. Then I was given the added compliment of being told I spoke it quite well. Which I was never told when I lived in Britain.

Lived in London for several years, and there are plenty of folk there who would consider that a reasonable assumption, in a Hills Have Eyes/Deliverance/Fife way.

Edit for added offence to Fifers :thumsup2

When I lived in the UAE an American said to me when I told him I was from Belfast, "I have a granny in Limerick, would you know her?"

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh!

Anyway, really getting on my tits at the minute - that fcuking Chris Evans ad for BBC Playlist where he is painfully humming a tune to try and get people to recognise it. If you recorded that ad and then played it in court I doubt any judge would convict you?

Different departments in large organisations not talking to each other.

I had two appointments at our local(ish) hospital on Monday, the second of which was to get some pretty important results. I got the time off work, came home at lunchtime to find an answerphone message cancelling the second appointment - which I've spent a week or so trying to get my head around the potential ways forward. Fuckit, I'll just go and get the scan done, I thought (appointment one).

Off we went to the scan, came back home and, literally ten minutes after getting in, the phone goes. It's the hospital, appointment two department.

"We tried getting hold of you all afternoon to say we'd reinstated your appointment - now we'll have to reschedule for next week. We know you were having an MRI today, so we should have the results from that as well"

Well, Missus, if you knew I was having an MRI, it wouldn't even have needed an outside line to get the message across, would it? It would also have saved you ringing me at home, where you evidently knew I fucking wasn't. :angry:

Oh, and organisations giving this kind of incompetence the managementspeak moniker of "silo thinking". No it's not, it's just fucking incompetent.

Actually, from my point of view, this instance isn't exactly petty, but it pisses me off all the time, not just in this case.

Bands which bring out a new album for the first time in ages and have ruined their good original style by trying to make it sound more 'modern', just f****** the whole thing up royally.

Fcuk yeah, that would be annoying.

Oh, it gets better...

Yesterday, they phoned again and arranged an appointment for tomorrow morning. I went into work today, arranged the time off (again), and then had to nip home for some paperwork (walking distance from work), to find another message saying this appointment had been cancelled. No reason, no apology, just a request to ring them and reschedule.

So I ring the number given, only to find that the admin still have me listed as going in tomorrow am. So I get through to the consultant's secretary, who happily informs me that she rang this morning and gave me an appointment for 11 next Thursday. Cue the most polite translation of "No, you fucking didn't" you'll hear, as I'm well aware these people can be as obstructive as they feel.

Next, I try to explain that the one result I'm really concerned about is the one which they should have had since Monday at the latest, and I'm quite willing to get the news - good or bad - over the phone, just to know where we are. She says she'll get the Consultant to ring me later today. Breath not being held...

I think a lot of dads feel a bit of difficulty in the early stages. You can't breastfeed, everyone asks how mum is feeling and the visitors come round to see the baby, not you. You don't even get maternity leave, so you're carrying on with work while mum spends more time with your daughter. I'd say it's BECAUSE you're a man you feel this way! Don't be too hard on yourself. You'd be a far worse dad if you didn't care about feeling a bit disconnected.

You can get yourself a bit more involved. It's a myth that everyone instantly feels that bond. Many don't and they need to try a bit harder to find it. Baths, nappy changes, cuddles and taking on the bedtime routine are all good places to start. You might feel a bit of an idiot at first, reading books and singing lullabies to someone who doesn't have the first clue what you're talking about but she'll love it. And you soon stop feeling daft when your baby looks at you with pure adoration written all over her face.

Great advice.

When I became father for the first time, it was really tough , I was living in a foreign land and felt pushed the side, very lonely time for me(wife and her family complete took over), but as Mrs M said day by day I made time with the baby, got up earlier and washed the bottles, prepared the clothes for the day, this then went onto a walk every morning with the pram to the local shop only 200 meters away in the morning before work, the bonding was amazing. I still do this and my daughter is 11 years old & my son 2 years(no prams now). You'll get there, it the best thing ever watching/living your children grow. Got to remember also your wife/girlfriend is more connected for the simple reason that it's been kicking lumps out of her for the past 9 months.

All the best mate

When I first moved here I was asked, in all seriousness, where I learned to speak English. Then I was given the added compliment of being told I spoke it quite well. Which I was never told when I lived in Britain.

I regularly get compliments on my accent and people asking where I'm from. If I'm in an awkward mood I sometimes say "Plainfield" (IL where I currently reside) instead of Scotland, and they look confused.

Often get "accused" of "are you from Ireland?" which I find a wee bit annoying but almost understandable (at least not England) but I did once get asked, "Are you Dutch?" :blink:

My partner had an operation yesterday and was getting out this morning only for someone to lose her paperwork,meaning a new prescription had to be written.We were told if we went in the waiting room someone would bring it.This was at 2pm,we asked how long it would take 'anytime before 6pm' was the answer.We decided to head home and phone for updates,sure enough it arrived at 5.30.It was some day to expect people to wait for a prescription.

To cap it all a bus ran into us on the way home!