Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

39 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

The most awkward I've encountered at work was when a girl in the office said to me that I looked like I'd lost weight to which I just said thanks.

Then some other girl who'd overheard chipped in with 'aren't you going to return the compliment?'

To which I said that would come across insincere after you just said that wouldn't it. Cue horror from them that I'd apparently just called her fat.

f**k them. She is.

There was literally no way for you to answer well there.

You compliment her looks - you want to pump her and are the office OFTW sexual reprobate.
You don't compliment her look - you think she's fat and those Mars Bars she's now eating is yo fault.

5 hours ago, Jambomo said:

Folk at my work who seem to be having some kind of competition to see who can make the most complimentary comments about each other.

Everyday is full of "I love your... hair/top/shoes/sunglasses/skirt". I get they are being nice but its the same conversation multiple times a day, every day.

^^^ not getting the compliments  ;)

It's good to give compliments to people - but they absolutely have to be genuine.

Everyone likes hearing something nice, and it'll definitely get you in with the ladies.

I think this is the thing, if they one day said "I like your jumper" or something then that's nice. To find numerous things everyday that you like about someone is almost a stalker.

I don't really think they are all that sincere with it. One example was one of them coming in wearing sunglasses and the others going "Oh, you look amazing, just like a film star" now she's nice enough looking but it's so OTT it's like taking the piss.

I think this is the thing, if they one day said "I like your jumper" or something then that's nice. To find numerous things everyday that you like about someone is almost a stalker.

I don't really think they are all that sincere with it. One example was one of them coming in wearing sunglasses and the others going "Oh, you look amazing, just like a film star" now she's nice enough looking but it's so OTT it's like taking the piss.

Women are quite bad for this. Disingenuous compliments based on every bloody outfit.

You can always tell when it's genuine or not (unless you're a numpty).

My girlfriend was off work ill today and apparently when o phones her after work she took me saying "At least you don't sound ill" as me telling her she was faking it and didn't believe her. I despair sometimes.

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Mother in law to wife, whilstlooking at at wifes white and silver sandals

"I thought they had gold in them"

Wife confirming what millions of years of highly evolved optical circuitry is telling her mother,

"No they are white and silver.

Mother in law reiterates,

"Oh I thought they had gold in them"

Todays PTTGOMN is pointless, deadend conversations, but can anyone beat the above for sheer oxygen thievery?

Any c**t who reports a conversation about women and shoes is too interested in the subject IMO.

3 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

"I know you think I worry too much, but I don't think you worry enough"

What the f**k does that even mean? As long as I live I'll never understand them.

I think the only course of action if anyone ever said that to you is to fart and then walk off.

Even if you need to force it and follow through, you'll still be the winner here.

Drivers who don't have the common decency to thank you for letting them past when they didn't even have the right of way. On you go ya ignorant bint.

I presume you're on about the folk that evidently just assume that if a line of parked cars are blocking their lane then they're entitled to half the remaining road.

Also add people that think they're entitled to own and clog the stretch of public road / pavement adjacent to their home. I include my own mother in this whereby my mum/step-dad/two brothers had six cars between them and she had a rant at me about how the council said that she was blocking the stretch of busy road in front of the house with four of them. A "Where else am I going to park?" mentality that I also disappointingly heard from a friend recently who was called up for blocking a neighbour's driveway when coming to a party.

20 hours ago, Jambomo said:

Folk at my work who seem to be having some kind of competition to see who can make the most complimentary comments about each other.

Everyday is full of "I love your... hair/top/shoes/sunglasses/skirt". I get they are being nice but its the same conversation multiple times a day, every day.

Slightly allied to this.....I used to work in an office with a glass partition with 5 women on the other side of it (to try to keep them from ravishing me obviously) .  One was a quiet spinsterish soul and everyone liked her/ felt sorry for her.  Three of the others were a witches' coven.  The fifth one was treated abominably by the three for absolutely no reason other than she wasn't in their coven.  The catty comments were disgraceful and no matter how she tried to fit in and compliment the three, she just couldn't get it right.  She had done nothing wrong at all and eventually left due to the atmosphere.  All-women offices are a nightmare.