Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

14 hours ago, velo army said:

See also "X or y is hugely overrated".

Nope, it's popular and you don't like it.

Presenting opinions as facts irks me.

But when something is clearly an opinion do we have to state it as so? I'm fucked If I'm going to add "...in my opinion" every time.  

On 13/02/2022 at 12:06, DiegoDiego said:

This pervasive mentality where people have the need to attack things they're not interested in, be it stand up paddleboarding, NFTs, football/rugby, veganism, A View From the Terrace, or whatever. What's wrong with just saying "I'm not really into that, but it's nice you're passionate about something"? Why do folk go out of their way to let everyone know how much they hate it? Why can't we all just get along?

...and therefore ending this thread!

1 hour ago, hk blues said:

But when something is clearly an opinion do we have to state it as so? I'm fucked If I'm going to add "...in my opinion" every time.  

Obviously context is important and sometimes we're clearly expressing our opinions, but I also think that ownership is important too. It is only three words, and if it's that much of an issue then perhaps your expressing your opinion a bit too often and could do with developing a more open mind 😇.

In my experience people expressing their opinions as facts tend to be doing so to take control of the framing of a particular issue. In my opinion, of course.

I've posted here before about amazon's consistent failure to deliver correct or undamaged books. I stopped using them because of that but relapsed after being tricked into signing up for a trial of prime.
This is what I was sent today. Raging. My own fault for misplaced faith. 2917cdfedd7f2b0ced286c1a46e2e818.jpg

26 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:
2 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:
People saying in my opinion
Who the f**k else's opinion would it be?

Well, if if someone gives you an opinion without the preceding qualifier "In my opinion", you might be forgiven for assuming it is always someone else's opinion......

Or even a FACT...

4 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

I've posted here before about amazon's consistent failure to deliver correct or undamaged books. I stopped using them because of that but relapsed after being tricked into signing up for a trial of prime.
This is what I was sent today. Raging. My own fault for misplaced faith. 2917cdfedd7f2b0ced286c1a46e2e818.jpg

Contact them and demand a replacement.

Contact them and demand a replacement.
I've done that, but it's a pain in the arse going out of my way to send it back and then wait the extra time to receive the replacement.

Probably one in three of the books I've ordered from amazon the last few years have been damaged or incorrect. I've had very few issues with other providers. It's strange to think that the thing they started off doing twenty years ago is now what the do the worst.

9 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

I've done that, but it's a pain in the arse going out of my way to send it back and then wait the extra time to receive the replacement.

Probably one in three of the books I've ordered from amazon the last few years have been damaged or incorrect. I've had very few issues with other providers. It's strange to think that the thing they started off doing twenty years ago is now what the do the worst.

You ever thought about a kindle?  No folded pages there.