Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

I did a Carbon Literacy course for work the other week - basically being lectured by two middle class women. Most of it I agree with - there's no doubt it's happening and there's no doubt our activities are exacerbating it. Two things pissed me off -

1) In response to it being pointed out that China is the most polluting nation (and rising), they argued that "per capita", China isn't nearly as bad as the West. Which may well be true but doesn't change the fact that a shit-ton of pollution comes from China. 

2) They emphasised the point that the West caused this problem via emissions starting in the Industrial Revolution, but poorer countries will suffer most and that's why we in the West should shoulder the responsibility for fixing it. To me that's a collective guilt trip where somehow I'm to blame for what happened centuries ago (when my ancestors were being worked to death in mines and mills).  Far better imo to take the line that the West should lead the way in fixing it because we can. We're wealthy and have the resources. 

1 hour ago, coprolite said:

Climate change is the phenomenon in which the average weather changes and in particular at the moment refers to average temperature rising. 

It's not the cause of rising temperatures. The greenhouse effect could be said to be a cause, or increased atmosheric CO2. 

So it's pretty dumb and shows a lack of understanding. 

Not sure it counts as propaganda though. 

Well it’s coming from the bbc and the same newsreaders tell their listeners that the cost of living crisis is down to the war on Ukraine so I’m calling it propaganda. They never actually do a lengthy report on the war on Ukraine being the cause of the cost of living crisis of course, they just mention it on the sly at the end of a sentence so sneakily that you almost don’t realise they’ve said it.

12 minutes ago, throbber said:

Well it’s coming from the bbc and the same newsreaders tell their listeners that the cost of living crisis is down to the war on Ukraine so I’m calling it propaganda. They never actually do a lengthy report on the war on Ukraine being the cause of the cost of living crisis of course, they just mention it on the sly at the end of a sentence so sneakily that you almost don’t realise they’ve said it.

May i suggest that Radio 1 might not be the best source for your news and current affairs? 

It sounds like it's catering to the sort of simpletons that like Ed Sheeran. 

39 minutes ago, Newbornbairn said:

1) In response to it being pointed out that China is the most polluting nation (and rising), they argued that "per capita", China isn't nearly as bad as the West. Which may well be true but doesn't change the fact that a shit-ton of pollution comes from China.

Maybe a fairer way of calculating pollution would be counting consumption along with production. We've exported much of our manufacturing to China but we can't pretend we're no longer responsible for the carbon consequences of the stuff we buy from them.

2 minutes ago, coprolite said:

May i suggest that Radio 1 might not be the best source for your news and current affairs? 

It sounds like it's catering to the sort of simpletons that like Ed Sheeran. 

I just have it on in the van as background noise. 

6 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Medical professionals all do it. It sets them apart, using technical names.

She does it all the time.

It was an Occupational Health person who said it to me. 

I doubted everything she said after she uttered such nonsense. How could I trust a person who says such ridiculous things?! She probably wasn't even from Occupational Health!

18 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

I doubted everything she said after she uttered such nonsense. How could I trust a person who says such ridiculous things?! She probably wasn't even from Occupational Health!

Which part of your health was she occupying?

21 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Did she not say she was from pational health?

8 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

What does Occupational Health actually mean?

Assesses if folk are fit to work/assists with potential injuries.

7 minutes ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

His brain, it stotts about in his skull like a pea in a whistle.

Pea in a whistle? A boomer reference.

6 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:

Did she not say she was from pational health?

Hmmm, perhaps she did.

16 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Assesses if folk are fit to work/assists with potential injuries.

A bit like Occupational Therapy.

Once they got me out of bed and saw I could get off the chair unassisted and walk from the chair to the foot of the bed and back again, they more or less left me to my own devices.

I quite like the Scottish Football Away Days Facebook page. Like seeing photos of different away crowds at different grounds.

The PTTGOYN is the number of gimps who post the laughing emoji. Crowd wanking basically. So tedious.