Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

2 hours ago, scottsdad said:

20-odd years on and it's still a wonderful strike. A few days later my dad told me this joke:

Why is Ronaldinho the best lover in the world?

Because he can lob Seaman from 30 yards. 

Well he was a few years too late to the party with that joke because Nayim was the original and he did it from nearer 50 

3 hours ago, Chefki Kuqi said:

I think government control could be possible but only with all the influential countries signing up to it, which seems unlikely. 

In terms of useful applications for a chat based AI I personally use it in software development at a fairly low level. It's a quick way to get answers to simple questions regarding syntax and can help provide idea, but again it's nothing to be overly reliant on as it can overcomplicate simple problems, much in the same way a human can really. 

I've tried using it for stuff like covering letters but it's utterly dreadful for that, it comes out with an adjective laden boastful American style which to my mind looks robotic, regardless of whether it was written by a human or a robot. That said it's all based on prompts but if you're putting so much effort into writing a prompt that can get a better answer out of it then you're better off doing the work yourself I find. 

We’ve been recruiting and had one car-crash of an application in particular. It just dawned on me it might be AI written, because I did wonder how anyone would write it and think it was ok. Tremendous.

16 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

We’ve been recruiting and had one car-crash of an application in particular. It just dawned on me it might be AI written, because I did wonder how anyone would write it and think it was ok. Tremendous.

Well I've just asked it to type up a generic covering letter for a mid-managerial role and it came out with this:

[Your Name] [Your Address] [City, Postal Code] [Your Email Address] [Your Phone Number] [Today’s Date]

Hiring Manager [Company's Name] [Company’s Address] [City, Postal Code]

Dear Hiring Manager,

I am writing to express my keen interest in the Assistant Manager position at [Company's Name], as advertised on [where you found the job posting, e.g., your website or a job board]. With my strong background in [specific industry, e.g., retail management] and a proven track record of driving operational efficiency and improving customer experience, I am confident in my ability to contribute positively to your esteemed organization.

In my previous role at [Previous Company Name], I successfully [mention a significant accomplishment, e.g., "oversaw a 15% growth in monthly sales while maintaining a 95% customer satisfaction rate"]. My hands-on experience has equipped me with a multitude of skills, including team leadership, business development, and effective problem-solving. I am also well-versed in [specific tools or software relevant to the business, e.g., "inventory management software and CRM systems"].

What truly excites me about this opportunity with [Company's Name] is [something unique about the company, e.g., "your commitment to innovation and the unmatched reputation you hold in the market"]. I am eager to bring my passion, dedication, and expertise to support the team and further enhance the success of [Company's Name].

I would welcome the chance to further discuss how my experience and skills can be an asset to your team. Thank you for considering my application. I look forward to the possibility of contributing to your continued success.

Warm regards,

[Your Name]

In fairness it's far less egregious than one I asked it to type up for me earlier in the month but the hallmarks are there. Maybe I'm just a curmudgeon but I always feel that expressing a 'passion' for a job which isn't explicitly fun comes across insincere. 

11 hours ago, Derry Alli said:

On Barra and nearly every child has a Celtic top on. I commented on it to an islander and their reply was "its because the next island up are all Rangers fans. The next Isle is Uist (I think).

What a way to live your life.

Ignoring Eriskay, the next "big" island up is South Uist.  Not too many Rangers fans about there either ...

DSCN3866.JPG

North Uist on the other hand ... bluenose central.

Just now, Rod1877 said:

Ignoring Eriskay, the next "big" island up is South Uist.  Not too many Rangers fans about there either ...

North Uist on the other hand ... bluenose central.

So Benbecula is the Partick Thistle of the Outer Hebridies then?

35 minutes ago, Empty It said:

Nobody cares what year your child is starting at school, stop posting it on every form of social media.

Don’t know about that, a sizable percentage of the BBC staff might be interested…

58 minutes ago, Empty It said:

Nobody cares what year your child is starting at school, stop posting it on every form of social media.

Deleting my FB account a few weeks ago was one of the best decisions I've made. So much better off without all that unnecessary, mind numbing, attention seeking shite.

(Invariably British Isles) people holding chilled wine (mainly white and rose) by the bulb, and not the stem.....

As someone who rarely drinks these wines = has to be (a) an absolute freebie, and (b) when stocoious-o-meter has passed 9/10.....

10 hours ago, Soapy FFC said:

Adverts about the Highway Code on the radio that end by saying "applies to Great Britain only" or words to that effect. Why not just say "doesn't apply to Northern Ireland". 

I know this is the PTTGOYN but why would that be better? 

15 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I know this is the PTTGOYN but why would that be better? 

I think it's more to do with the fact it's just a pointless statement at the end of the advert. Don't tell people not to write off cyclists then say "but this only really matters here".

Plus it's that 'comedian' lassie with a really grating voice.