Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

14 minutes ago, TxRover said:

F**king Energizer button battery packaging!

If I ever find the c**t responsible for that packaging decision, it’ll be first degree murder!

^^^ when a battery charge just isn't enough.

8 hours ago, BFTD said:

Five boxes here. A few years back, I got rid of the many, many duplicates too.

On the plus side, when the apocalypse arrives I'll be able to connect any remaining tech you like via seventeen different adaptors and cables.

It's remarkable when you think about it. We accumulate dozens of plugs, cables and "dongles" over the years and find it difficult to build up the courage to chuck them out.

Jeff Goldblum's character in "Independence Day" not only is able to easily connect his laptop to a massive alien spaceship's mainframe, but communicate sufficiently in the alien computer language to plant a virus that can presumably get round any firewalls.

I tell you, today's techy folk are way off the mark.

2 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

It's remarkable when you think about it. We accumulate dozens of plugs, cables and "dongles" over the years and find it difficult to build up the courage to chuck them out.

Jeff Goldblum's character in "Independence Day" not only is able to easily connect his laptop to a massive alien spaceship's mainframe, but communicate sufficiently in the alien computer language to plant a virus that can presumably get round any firewalls.

I still have a cable for attaching an external hard drive (which I never owned) to a computer that I haven't owned since 1997.

Clearly I'm subconsciously waiting for when the president needs to recover some ancient nuclear deactivation codes from a Reagan-era Atari ST storage unit.

43 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

If he’s such a great scientist why did he turn himself into a fly? 

although I concede he did call the whole dinosaur chaos thing right. 

17 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Aldi doing two things in each box, and leaving the unpopular half until it’s finished instead of putting a new box out. 

Also, the fact that the only example that’s coming to mind is their loads of flax but no chia left, which makes me sound like a hipster. 

Lidl were always big on that too. For example, they'd get jars of their own-brand jam with three flavours in each box - Strawberry, Raspberry, and Satan's Fermenting Turds. Everyone bought options A and B, so they'd end up with hundreds of jars of Satanic jobbies that nobody wanted. Every six months or so, they just wouldn't order anything new in for a few weeks, and the store would be full of the flavours that nobody wanted, like they thought everyone would just buy stuff they didn't like out of necessity. I guess it must work, but it just put me off shopping there after a couple of times realising that this was going to become a regular thing.

Why do they always include a f**k-awful option anyway? Crates of cereal containing corn flakes, rice krispies, and leper's fingers, each in the same quantity. It's like when Billy Connolly said that boxes of chocolates used to include a flavour nobody liked, like ginger, as if Cadbury had a massive ginger stockpile they were forcing the country to help them work through.

Edit:

1 minute ago, Hedgecutter said:

This recent change to food firms hiding the cooking instructions on the reverse side of the label, meaning you have to open the packaging to see what's required.  

Always good on fucking pizza, where cheese sticks to the shrink wrap and drops everywhere while you're trying to see the recommended cooking time.

Edited by BFTD

10 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Lidl were always big on that too. For example, they'd get jars of their own-brand jam with three flavours in each box - Strawberry, Raspberry, and Satan's Fermenting Turds. Everyone bought options A and B, so they'd end up with hundreds of jars of Satanic jobbies that nobody wanted. Every six months or so, they just wouldn't order anything new in for a few weeks, and the store would be full of the flavours that nobody wanted, like they thought everyone would just buy stuff they didn't like out of necessity. I guess it must work, but it just put me off shopping there after a couple of times realising that this was going to become a regular thing.

Why do they always include a f**k-awful option anyway? Crates of cereal containing corn flakes, rice krispies, and leper's fingers, each in the same quantity. It's like when Billy Connolly said that boxes of chocolates used to include a flavour nobody liked, like ginger, as if Cadbury had a massive ginger stockpile they were forcing the country to help them work through.

Edit:

Always good on fucking pizza, where cheese sticks to the shrink wrap and drops everywhere while you're trying to see the recommended cooking time.

The Jam is a problem at low quality chain hotel breakfast buffets. Just chuck the blackcurrant out, no one has ever eaten it more than once. 

2 minutes ago, coprolite said:

The Jam is a problem at low quality chain hotel breakfast buffets. Just chuck the blackcurrant out, no one has ever eaten it more than once. 

I don't get why they insist on equal quantities for everything; if you've got a box of 24 jars, you'll want maybe 16 strawberry for normal people, 6 raspberry for the difficult contrarians, and throw in a couple of blackcurrant for the perverts. Everyone's happy, and you don't end up with Freaky February, catering exclusively for people who clearly aren't going to be eating any of the things they're buying.

9 hours ago, TxRover said:

F**king Energizer button battery packaging! Three button cells in a blister pack…

1) Slide nail under edge to lift plastic top cover, and it pops off, happy as can be, with a thin remainder of paper/cardboard across the bottom.

2) Try to push cell out through paper…won’t budge.

3) Poke through paper to find the f**king battery is enclosed on both sides with plastic.

4) The inner/lower cover will not press out, regardless of all attempts.

5) Got the kitchen shears, and have to cut around about half the blister to be able to lever the inside cover open enough to get the battery out.

6) Repeat twice more…because each one is packaged individually. I mean, no one would ever buy a three pack instead of a one or two pack and want all three batteries at once!

If I ever find the c**t responsible for that packaging decision, it’ll be first degree murder!

More likely to be assault on battery.

1 minute ago, BFTD said:

I don't get why they insist on equal quantities for everything; if you've got a box of 24 jars, you'll want maybe 16 strawberry for normal people, 6 raspberry for the difficult contrarians, and throw in a couple of blackcurrant for the perverts. Everyone's happy, and you don't end up with Freaky February, catering exclusively for people who clearly aren't going to be eating any of the things they're buying.

Where’s my apricot you strawberry fascist?

Also “jars”; your low quality chain hotel is obviously a cut above mine with the wee plastic tubs.

Just now, coprolite said:

Where’s my apricot you strawberry fascist?

Also “jars”; your low quality chain hotel is obviously a cut above mine with the wee plastic tubs.

I'm still moaning about low-cost supermarkets, although I'd imagine the chain hotels are a step down from there too.

Apricot is for middle-class Waitrose shoppers who avoid driving past the new Lidl in case their car breaks down and somebody from the PTA sees them. Although, you've given me a terrible notion of apricot jam now, so I may risk it.

On the jams/preserves etc topic, is lemon curd still a thing? Just randomly popped into my head while reading this and, although I've not actually looked for it since it wouldn't be on my shopping list, I honestly can't remember having seen a jar of it for years. Used to seem like a staple in my mum's kitchen when I was young, granted I am now rather un-young.

2 minutes ago, 'WellDel said:

On the jams/preserves etc topic, is lemon curd still a thing? Just randomly popped into my head while reading this and, although I've not actually looked for it since it wouldn't be on my shopping list, I honestly can't remember having seen a jar of it for years. Used to seem like a staple in my mum's kitchen when I was young, granted I am now rather un-young.

Yeah, I bought a jar from Morrison's last week. 

30 minutes ago, 'WellDel said:

Tremendous on sandwiches. 

1 hour ago, 'WellDel said:

Weirdo 

1 hour ago, GordonD said:

Yeah, I bought a jar from Morrison's last week. 

Weirdo

39 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Tremendous on sandwiches. 

Weirdo

37 minutes ago, Newbornbairn said:

Mmm, Lorne and lemon curd rolls. 

Weirdo

34 minutes ago, Soapy FFC said:

I must be the weirdo here. My favourite jam is blackcurrant, and I love ginger biscuits and chocolate 

Good lad