Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

I've had a cheap pack of own-brand sausages in the freezer for ages, just on the off-chance that I fancied one, as it's not something I eat often. Figured they'd probably be shite, but I tried some last month and they were great. Having just gone on a sausage bender and finished the lot, I now discover that you can't buy them anymore  :(

4 hours ago, FK1Bairn said:

constantly moaning, coming out with the same comments about the same shit they talked about 6 months ago? Heaven forbid you have a different viewpoint on stuff from them!!

This is a synopsis of this forum.

Just heard some no mark on radio talking about the Liam Payne -got wrecked, trashed his room and then took a header off the balcony- thing saying, "Believe me, being famous is no walk in the park!" 

Sometimes I wish I swore.

5 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

And when writing your phone number, you should leave appropriate gaps: i.e. 07987 654 321, not 07987654321. Any CV I get with the number written inappropriately goes to the bottom of the pile.

As someone currently writing a CV, thank you for this information. I would say a number in that sequence but I don't think I'd have written it with gaps. Any other info that will help me to the top of the pile? 

3 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

Just heard some no mark on radio talking about the Liam Payne -got wrecked, trashed his room and then took a header off the balcony- thing saying, "Believe me, being famous is no walk in the park!" 

Sometimes I wish I swore.

I suppose, in one way, mental health is the great equaliser.

Or maybe not. A suicidal individual struggling financially would not be able to afford a balcony to throw themself off of..

Edited by Cosmic Joe

30 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

As someone currently writing a CV, thank you for this information. I would say a number in that sequence but I don't think I'd have written it with gaps. Any other info that will help me to the top of the pile? 

I was asked for CV advice last night, and I think the best thing to do is to try and put yourself in the mind of your employer, think about what they're looking for in a new hire. Depending on the job that could simply be someone who is reliable and won't cause them headaches, someone with lots of relevant experience, someone to plug a gap for a month or two, someone they can train up and replace someone who's scheduled to retire, and so on...

It obviously varies massively on what sort of job you're after, but for me at the CV stage I'm hoping to see a decent amount of relevant experience, someone who can stay at the same job for at least a year, and perhaps most importantly, someone who actually wants this job rather than any job.

You may not actually care about the job, but if you can show in your cover letter/CV that you've done some research about the company and pretend to show some reason why you want to work for them and not someone else, then that helps. If it doesn't look like you've put any effort into your application then why would they think you'll put any effort into the job?

AI cover letters are easily spotted, and do not help your cause. By all means write your cover letter yourself and then get AI to tidy it up though.

53 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Make sure you’re Facebook/Linkedin profile picture is a blond with big tits. 

Apparently that works.

6 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

And when writing your phone number, you should leave appropriate gaps: i.e. 07987 654 321, not 07987654321. Any CV I get with the number written inappropriately goes to the bottom of the pile.

I would put your application in the bottom of the pile for the hectic way you have arranged that phone number. 

✨0798 765 4321✨

7 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Make sure you’re Facebook/Linkedin profile picture is a blond with big tits. 

Apparently that works.

I think you need to have actually gone to Eton for that to work.

Spoiler

boris-johnson-and-wife-carrie-johnson-en

23 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

People who read long numbers back to you in a different way than you said them:

"It's 8649 5714"

"So that's 864 957 14?"

Rab Corbett likes this. 2 mins 30 in.

7 hours ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

FTFY.

before they stuck a 1 in at the start of the Nineties Edinburgh phone numbers were 3-3-4

In 1958 city codes were introduced- Edinburgh got 031. This is because 3 corresponded with E on the dial below. O41 for Glasgow corresponding with G on the dial. 

Aberdeen was given 0224 with the numbers representing AB4 (the postcode of the main exchange) on the rotary telephone, and Dundee similarly was given 01382 - representing DU2.

You could roughly tell where somebody lived in Edinburgh from their phone number too-e.g. 225 was a Central Edinburgh code. The three numbers after the 031 used to correspond to the alphabetical exchange code which is why old phone dials had letters on them. You see it in old adverts e.g. for Fred's Chip Shop phone WAV 2234

dial.jpg.f2582c33603f3cd3302e92c0c5994b75.jpg

I once dialled an international number using one of these bad boys. Kids, you don't know you're born... 

9 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

dial.jpg.f2582c33603f3cd3302e92c0c5994b75.jpg

I once dialled an international number using one of these bad boys. Kids, you don't know you're born... 

We had an old pay phone with rotary dial in our university flat. We used to dial a random American number, put 10p in and give abuse to the person that answered for the few seconds the money gave us. 

5 minutes ago, Soapy FFC said:

We had an old pay phone with rotary dial in our university flat. We used to dial a random American number, put 10p in and give abuse to the person that answered for the few seconds the money gave us. 

ronaldreagan.jpg.b94b6b24ce7e3d0f1a57d1df855ab5fc.jpg

"Say, Nancy hon, what's a fud...?" 

4 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

ronaldreagan.jpg.b94b6b24ce7e3d0f1a57d1df855ab5fc.jpg

"Say, Nancy hon, what's a fud...?" 

I moved to Scotland from England in 2002. I remember thinking "Fud" sounded like the name of a brand of milkshake. Or a chocolate bar.

Edited by Richey Edwards