P&b Running Club

54 minutes ago, eddiemunster said:

Fifty miles a week!? Holy f**k!

If I make eighty a month I'm pushing it. 

It was while I was at Uni, so had loads of free time, and before I had kids. Would be doing at least 10k a day, got my 10k PB down to about 42 minutes (44 in an official race).

Ended up with fairly meh stats for this year thanks to a foot injury which pretty much floored me for 2 and a half months...585 miles for the year(originally aimed for 750, 102 runs so and average of about 5 and a half per run.... an improvement on last year but off what I had wanted.

Target for next year: 850 miles, a sub 21.30 Parkrun(current 22:17), a sub 1:40:00 HM (current 1:42:59) and a marathon under 4 hours (never done one).

Happy New Running Year to everyone, :thumsup2

My stats have been rubbish for 2016. I've done more in the last three days than I did the whole of February or November. It's encouraging that I have enough of a base level fitness to still run 6/7 miles comfortably though. I'd like to be more consistent in 2017 - a trip to the physio would probably help there. More off-road running will help, too. I'm doing Loch Ness Etape in April, so going to have to concentrate on cycling for a bit for the start of the year.

Some of the guys on Strava are real mile monsters, they must literally spend every spare minute running.

Aye it's properly mental likes. Their knees will be utterly fucked in their old ages

Around 1050 miles for me across Strava and Runkeeper. Pleased with that for my first year considering I had a couple of spells injured. There's a fair few miles missing too due to the jogscotland stuff when I was starting and handicaps etc when I didn't have my phone.

It was a properly dire year for me on the running front. I remember writing out my targets on this thread a year ago - I achieved one of them, sub-19 for Kirkcaldy parkrun on the normal course. That was on New Year's Day! I ran about 200 miles in January, and that's my total for the year - truely rotten stuff.

So, for this coming year, I'm setting no lofty goals of doing PBs in all distances - or any distance for that matter. The target is simple: get running again, then stay free of any serious injuries after that. I had been lazy with strength work, and that was a big mistake given the mileage and number of hard sessions I was doing last January. It was probably just a matter of time before something pinged, so once I'm fit to do it, my first priority is strength work, and running after that. The one good thing about such a ong lay-off is that I'm absolutely determined not to make the same mistake again,so I'm pretty sure I'm not going to neglect the stuff I knew Ishould have been doing but never really did.

First race of the year done this morning in horrendous conditions. 4.5 miles of wind, rain, hail, sea spray and a bit of snow thrown in just for good measure. Was disgusting, but the hot bath after felt awesome. Brings my total for the week to 21.1 miles, which is nothing for some of you, but for me, it's a huge distance!

Anyone watched the documentary on Netflix about the Barkley marathon in Tennessee? That is absolute sadism. 130 miles with about 30,000 feet of climb? 40 people start it each year, less than 15 people have completed it in 25 years! Brilliant watch. The guy who organises it is mental.

My total for the year was a reasonably healthy, 913 miles. Then I realised it was in kilometres. And then I realised it also included various walks and cycles, so the total amount of miles run was only 411 miles. Since that included a marathon and half-a-dozen half marathons, I really think I need to do more training next year!

My running has suffered last year with the general demands on my time that a two year old child allied to a busy job gives.

Managed probably one run per week on average which was poor. Albeit I did do a 13 mile run from Taynuilt to Oban (back roads) in September which was a real highlight.

But I've used the Christmas holiday period to get me going again, 9 runs of 4-5 miles each completed (including one in a blizzard which was just braw!), plus one to come tomorrow on last day off.

Times coming down steadily. Aiming to keep it going now, 3 runs pw is the realistic target. Will target 50 miles for January post-holiday and then evaluate at end of month.

Aspiration is to get back to an occasional run to work (8.5 miles). Childcare drops and picks is the real barrier there.

Makes me realise just quite how bad for my general health attending work can be. (And let's not start on the mental health aspects of being permanently over stretched at work.)

My gp says no but hopefully my mums cousin can do it hes a gp but shes on holiday and a think i have spoke to the guy once my full life lol think its time to strike up a friendship [emoji23]

How was the florence marathon

Hope you get it sorted - handy having relatives in high places!

Loved Florence; the marathon's quite twisty down a lot of narrow streets and loads of cobbles, but the crowds were great and running over the Ponte Vecchio was a real highlight. A long weekend's probably enough time to do everything.

Guest bernardblack

Does anyone here use a Fitbit or anything similar?

Always just used my iPhone for runs but any suggestions would be really helpful!