P&b Running Club

42 minutes ago, bernardblack said:

Does anyone here use a Fitbit or anything similar?

Always just used my iPhone for runs but any suggestions would be really helpful!

Depends pretty much how far you're running in all honesty ,fitbits do your heart rate and steps etc but they don't have GPS,p hone apps are Ok but can be a little hit or miss with accuracy especially on longer runs,a decent GPS watch doesn't need to break the bank and there are loads of choice,

Did anyone do the Pollok Parkrun on New Year's Day? There was a chap pushing a child in a pushchair which broke. So he gamely carried on, pushing the pushchair and carrying the child. 

Impressive. There was a guy who done Linwood and Greenock double header pushing a buggy and completed both under 21 mins!!

Does anyone here use a Fitbit or anything similar?

Always just used my iPhone for runs but any suggestions would be really helpful!

Depends pretty much how far you're running in all honesty ,fitbits do your heart rate and steps etc but they don't have GPS,p hone apps are Ok but can be a little hit or miss with accuracy especially on longer runs,a decent GPS watch doesn't need to break the bank and there are loads of choice,

The higher end fitbits have GPS in them.

I swear by garmin. Started with a forerunner 10 then upgraded to a vivoactive.

35 minutes ago, bernardblack said:

Thanks for the input. Anyone got a preferred choice of GPS watch?

I'm interested in this too, don't fancy having to carry a phone when I'm running. Was thinking about a fitbit.

Edited by welshbairn

Thanks for the input. Anyone got a preferred choice of GPS watch?

I agree with DHD in going with a vivoactive. I love it and tend to wear it nearly everyday given it does activity tracking as well as different sports.

Last year's mileage count finished at 1,116 for me which is a personal best by nearly 500! Put my first 5.6 miles on to this year's total this morning to start off the training for the year.

Race plan for this year so far has the Alloa half, the Great Edinburgh 10 mile and my second go at a marathon in Stirling - might be back soon for some tips from the more experienced of you on avoiding the cramp I had in Dublin!

I'm interested in this too, don't fancy having to carry a phone when I'm running. Was thinking about a fitbit.

I've got a Fitbit charge-GPS, counts steps, does HR etc and displays texts/calls from my phone. Surprised to see someone above saying they had an issue with mileage being off as mine has been absolutely dead on!

Watch choice comes down to budget and what features you want.  Accuracy in general isn't any better on more expensive models.

I have a Garmin Fenix 3 and it's great, although it's in the upper price range.  I tend to use quite a lot of the features on it, swim, bike, run, activity tracking, sleep tracking, hiking, load in routes to follow and its a decent enough looking watch to wear for daily use.

Check out DC Rainmakers blog for the in depth reviews and comparisons that should help to give you an idea of what your getting for your money.

I managed about 930 miles in 2016.  I had planned to put in more but was a bit scunnered with running after the Edinburgh marathon and took me a while to get going after although I was focused on training for a 10k swim until the end of August which limited running time anyway.

I'm planning on sticking to 10ks for this year.  Already signed up for Nigel Barge, Balfron, and Loch Katrine.  Probably add a few more of the Trossachs series and the Polariod series once they open.  Going to be doing a few sprint triathlons and probably a couple of open water races toward the end of summer.

For running I've used Garmin for years and they are great. Around £100 will get you a decent model with enough features for all but the most serious athletes. All data can be downloaded to your profile. 

I have a fitbit too but I find it more use for walking and encouraging me to get off my fat arse to ensure I do my 12,000 steps. 

13 hours ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

I've got a Fitbit charge-GPS, counts steps, does HR etc and displays texts/calls from my phone. Surprised to see someone above saying they had an issue with mileage being off as mine has been absolutely dead on!

Think that was me. I have the Fitbit app on my phone, rather than a stand alone Fitbit, which may be the problem. It works away in the background. Was about three miles different to my Strava for this morning's run.

First half marathon in a while and pulled 1:44.15 out of nowhere. Absolutely stunned as I felt I toiled all the way round, but I took 7mins plus off my previous PB. Delighted.

Good stuff mate .. am hoping to get a half marathon in start of feb need to have a look to see any about

On 31/12/2016 at 15:29, Reina said:

My stats have been rubbish for 2016. I've done more in the last three days than I did the whole of February or November. It's encouraging that I have enough of a base level fitness to still run 6/7 miles comfortably though. I'd like to be more consistent in 2017 - a trip to the physio would probably help there. More off-road running will help, too. I'm doing Loch Ness Etape in April, so going to have to concentrate on cycling for a bit for the start of the year.

Good luck with Loch Ness.  I loved it last year, though I struggled a bit for the final 10-15 miles before getting back into Inverness.  The climb is brutal but very satisfying!

On 02/01/2017 at 10:50, tigerton said:

Anyone watched the documentary on Netflix about the Barkley marathon in Tennessee? That is absolute sadism. 130 miles with about 30,000 feet of climb? 40 people start it each year, less than 15 people have completed it in 25 years! Brilliant watch. The guy who organises it is mental.

Added to the list...

Review of 2015:
- new marathon PB (x2)
- first sub 19-min parkrun
- visited some cool places
- ran 380 miles more than last year (up to 1398)

2016 ambitions:
- close in on the 3hr marathon in Blackpool in April, or Chicago in October
- have a crack at my half PB at Inverness in March, or Aberdeen in August
- attempt a 5k PB at the Scottish 5k Champs around April/May time (18mins?!)

I'm in shape for none of that right now, but there's plenty time for that!

Turned up for training last night at the running track in the freezing cold. Thought I was the only one there but was relieved when the coach appeared, who told me: "Looks like it's just you and Jo tonight." The only Jo/Joe in the club I knew of was someone who ran the marathon for Scotland in the last Commonwealth Games and regularly represents Scotland and GB in races of varying, usually ridiculous, distances.

Sure enough.... I did manage to keep up with her - but then we came out of the first bend on to the straight :lol:

Edited by Stu