The Cricket Thread

bewlay

13 minutes ago, FuzzyBear said:

In a bit of trouble now chasing 287.

Not sure how Sharif gets 9 overs with figures of 0-56 when McMullan only gets 7 with figures of 5-34 ?

Rancid captaincy. A lot of the bowling choices there were really poor. Absolutely criminal leaving McMullen with 3 left. 

4 hours ago, sparky88 said:

Declaration not the problem 

Not taking advantage of the declaration was. 

Yes, this.

When you declare your first inning and the opponent then matches your total, you are pretty much the underdog from that point on. 

I wasn't a fan of the decision although I don't think its egregiously poor, just going back to what I said about reserving judgement on this England approach until such time I see them play genuinely good teams. I thought going for an all-out, balls-to-the-wall attacking approach is fair enough, but there will inevitably be times when you have to display a modicum of common sense, or temper the approach somewhat because of match/weather conditions, and my concern was England don't really have the nous to do that when it's required. 1st day of the 1st Test of a series isn't the time for a 'mon then' style declaration. A bit like throwing stones at a hornet's nest in this case, and I'm finding it a little bit amusing it's come back to bite them on the arse.

If they had batted more conspicuously in the 2nd inning they would be looking at a four match series with Aus starting from an even footing, however they're facing having to win at least two, possibly three of four to take the Ashes. The Dec wasn't the main cause of that, but it's a small part of it, and in series like this it's always going to be decided on small margins. England can't afford to come down on the wrong side of these calls, even if they are marginal, and expect to beat Australia. Got what they deserved in essence.

Field a bit better, bat a bit better, and stop making unnecessarily aggressive decisions just for the sake to trying to look hard.

Yeah I gave up on it at lunchtime, some stuff, think that's the first time I can remember us beating Ireland in a crucial game.

Still a long road to qualify ahead of Windies / SL / Zimbabwe but hopefully make it to Super 6.

Daftest comment of the lot - "Just make them play to 19:30 every day"

Aye, because the same cricketers, absent of any rule changes besides that, are totally incapable of somehow stretching 85 overs out across another hour.

Baseball has introduced a pitch clock for this season and it has cut game durations by nearly 1/3rd in some cases. That's the ultimate 'spend hours with literally nothing happening' sport, so if they can sort it cricket sure as hell can. You can't have a standard timer given the variance between bowling styles, but there needs to be some sort of monitoring of what happens once the ball is fielded. The amount of time it spends getting polished, handed from one player to the next while discussing if the fine leg is one yard too straight, then run down the pitch for a meeting with the bowler etc. All of that needs addressed

I don't want to see the wham-bam of limited overs cricket creep even further into Tests, but they should be perfectly capable of getting through 90 overs within the current timeframe, and since they don't seem to be able to off their own backs it needs to be imposed on them. Clearly nobody gives a shit about match fines because it's been the same thing for years and years and it keeps happening. Penalty runs for every hour of uninterrupted play in which you don't manage 15 overs.

Edited by Boo Khaki

1 hour ago, Fuctifano said:

Yeah I gave up on it at lunchtime, some stuff, think that's the first time I can remember us beating Ireland in a crucial game.

Still a long road to qualify ahead of Windies / SL / Zimbabwe but hopefully make it to Super 6.

Same here, turned off after Berrington's wicket to get back to work. Checked BBC sport and saw we needed 8 off the last and turned it back on just as Leask hit the winning runs.

1 hour ago, Boo Khaki said:

Daftest comment of the lot - "Just make them play to 19:30 every day"

Aye, because the same cricketers, absent of any rule changes besides that, are totally incapable of somehow stretching 85 overs out across another hour.

Baseball has introduced a pitch clock for this season and it has cut game durations by nearly 1/3rd in some cases. That's the ultimate 'spend hours with literally nothing happening' sport, so if they can sort it cricket sure as hell can. You can't have a standard timer given the variance between bowling styles, but there needs to be some sort of monitoring of what happens once the ball is fielded. The amount of time it spends getting polished, handed from one player to the next while discussing if the fine leg is one yard too straight, then run down the pitch for a meeting with the bowler etc. All of that needs addressed

I don't want to see the wham-bam of limited overs cricket creep even further into Tests, but they should be perfectly capable of getting through 90 overs within the current timeframe, and since they don't seem to be able to off their own backs it needs to be imposed on them. Clearly nobody gives a shit about match fines because it's been the same thing for years and years and it keeps happening. Penalty runs for every hour of uninterrupted play in which you don't manage 15 overs.

Also worth pointing out that the batting side can be just as bad for killing time, how many times is it possible to adjust a glove during the same over?

I'd be all for anything that proactively improves the pace of the game. I don't like the idea of players being fined though, the penalties should affect the game itself, such as penalty runs.  some suggestions:

Limit field changes to what can be done while the bowler gets back their mark.

Immediate penalties if batter or bowler isn't ready to play a set time after the end of the previous over.

If you adjust your glove or pad straps three times you have to take them off.

Pre mark the guard on the crease so the player doesn't have to ask the umpire.

Ball Boys, multi ball

ban long run ups