Golfers Thread

Gaz

The latest US rankings. Glover has jumped about 40 spots in the last two weeks. IMO the top 10 on that list will definitely go, but it could be 2 from 4 or 5 after that. (Bradley, Burns, Fowler, Thomas and Glover)

Finau outside the top 20 won't even get a look in.

Screenshot_20230814_181142_Chrome.jpg

11 hours ago, Disco Duck said:

I seem to have developed a bad case of…erm…”hozel-adjacent” shots, particularly mid- or short-irons off the fairway.  It’s bloody irritating and is really starting to mess with my head.

Help!

I get that from time to time.

Most doses of the shanks for club players come from dropping the hands at address which changes the swing plane so that the neck of the club gets to the ball a fraction ahead of the face. Try lifting your hands at address and chances are the swing plane will correct itself pretty much right away - you might want to over-exaggerate the lifting movement the first few times to train your brain, though!

(My record is 5 consecutive shanks on the same hole - I started on the left of the fairway, wedge in hand, eyeing up birdie and slowly worked my way around the green anti-clockwise. A solid 8 in the end! Thankfully it was winter so I could blame playing off mats... 😂)

Good luck!

On 10/08/2023 at 19:21, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Nah i dodged the cameras big time. He did a wee bit to camera after i walked away saying hed just been handed the wedges etc. very nice guy, was refreshing, i’ve met a lot of celebrities either through music, golf and my job and many are utter p***ks. 

These your clubs mate? 

IMG_7891.jpeg

Took my boys down the driving range for the first time.  Definitely don't have the next child prodigy on my hands but they both want to go back which is a good sign! My youngest eventually managed to get quite a few good connections, that sweet little click getting heard a few times. Stupidly though to manage expectations I'd said if either of them get to the 50 yard marker that would be a major achievement, my oldest finally managing to get there with a wild swing thicking it off the edge of my PW off a large tee resulting in him going on about how he's now the best leaving his brother in tears 🤦 

Anyone got any advice on how to help them develop a swing, I tried to keep it as hands off as possible giving them basics of where there feet should be and to just focus on getting the club head to come back to the ball . I'm a 20+ handicapper at best tho so any more advice after that is probably something I should be seeking as well ! 

Also , annoyingly despite not having swing a club in over a year I had 3 shots with my wedge to show them the basics and all 3 landed dead centre on the 100 yard green within a couple of feet of each other and 1 drive that went poker straight 220+ yards ! That would never happen on the course in a month of Sundays ! 

2 hours ago, JamesP_81 said:

Took my boys down the driving range for the first time.  Definitely don't have the next child prodigy on my hands but they both want to go back which is a good sign! My youngest eventually managed to get quite a few good connections, that sweet little click getting heard a few times. Stupidly though to manage expectations I'd said if either of them get to the 50 yard marker that would be a major achievement, my oldest finally managing to get there with a wild swing thicking it off the edge of my PW off a large tee resulting in him going on about how he's now the best leaving his brother in tears 🤦 

Anyone got any advice on how to help them develop a swing, I tried to keep it as hands off as possible giving them basics of where there feet should be and to just focus on getting the club head to come back to the ball . I'm a 20+ handicapper at best tho so any more advice after that is probably something I should be seeking as well ! 

Also , annoyingly despite not having swing a club in over a year I had 3 shots with my wedge to show them the basics and all 3 landed dead centre on the 100 yard green within a couple of feet of each other and 1 drive that went poker straight 220+ yards ! That would never happen on the course in a month of Sundays ! 

Best advice in terms of swing tempo is think Ernie Els, keep the swing relaxed, dont tense up. My fave online coach is a guy called Dave Finks, hes a youtuber/golf coach and his mantra is ‘simplify shit, understand shit, play better golf’. I like that.

1 hour ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Best advice in terms of swing tempo is think Ernie Els, keep the swing relaxed, dont tense up. My fave online coach is a guy called Dave Finks, hes a youtuber/golf coach and his mantra is ‘simplify shit, understand shit, play better golf’. I like that.

Cheers, I'll check him out. Can't mind who I got it from but the best advice I could offer was " stop thinking about hitting the ball and hit the ball.  "

9 hours ago, funky_nomad said:

Most doses of the shanks for club players come from dropping the hands at address which changes the swing plane so that the neck of the club gets to the ball a fraction ahead of the face.

Mine is a bit less technical than that.

It tends to come when arriving on the 15th tee with a decent score going

Best performance I've had in a comp today (I am not a good golfer). 90 for a net 67, should put me in with a chance of taking the midweek medal but more importantly it should get my handicap below 20 for the first time (currently 20.1). 

16 minutes ago, Accies1 said:

Best performance I've had in a comp today (I am not a good golfer). 90 for a net 67, should put me in with a chance of taking the midweek medal but more importantly it should get my handicap below 20 for the first time (currently 20.1). 

bandit-vector-134117.jpg

On 13/08/2023 at 19:28, keyser_soze said:

Sorely tempted to upgrade my irons, currently using a 3-PW set of Lynx #BB tour but have had them for 4 years now so grips are getting towards the end of their life. Saw a Set of Callaway Rouge ST Pro (3-PW) but slightly put off by the 2nd hand price of £630, also playing really well with my current irons so seems daft to splash the cash, especially at the tail end of the season.

Heart says buy them, you never know when another set like this will be available, head says I'll get at least 1 more year from my current set 🤣

Have you looked at the Callaway pre owned europe site? I cant speak from experience of buying clubs myself but if you bought a set of rouge st’s from the ‘like new’ category ive heard they are pretty much brand new but they cant market it that way or something. Had a look there and a set of ST Pro in 5-PW were £572 with stiff and reg flex options. Plus if you sign up to their newsletter they’ll give you 10% off first purchase, so should take it under £515 for that set?

Suffered the consequences of too long not playing over the summer today. Started with a shambolic 9, then proceeded to knock in 17 points on the front 9 after that, but had it been stroke play, launching at least 4 balls clean out the park off the tee would have killed me today. And I really felt I fatigued on the back 9 despite a solid par/par finish. 

You've really got to play eh. 

Project for the winter.... Get a driver swing. My good drives are excellent but too many went wayward today. I have an iron set up. I pretty much know how to set up and swing at any full iron shot. But I have never learned a driver swing. So at least a lesson or 2 on that. 

16 hours ago, Accies1 said:

Has there ever been a P&B open? Constantly looking for an excuse to play a new course.

As @Disco Duck said, there was one up at Falkirk Tryst a long while ago.  @Div sorted us out with shirts.  It was a great day, topped off with my oft told story about a well known poster who went on (i believe) to be chairman of his club standing on the same shite twice.

20 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Have you looked at the Callaway pre owned europe site? I cant speak from experience of buying clubs myself but if you bought a set of rouge st’s from the ‘like new’ category ive heard they are pretty much brand new but they cant market it that way or something. Had a look there and a set of ST Pro in 5-PW were £572 with stiff and reg flex options. Plus if you sign up to their newsletter they’ll give you 10% off first purchase, so should take it under £515 for that set?

Looked into this, customer reviews not promising though  

Played an absurd round today.

On the plus side I played to my handicap and some of my approach play was ridiculously good. I knocked a six iron to three feet from 160 yards and twice got from tee to green in two shots on par fives.

Unfortunately, one of those par five tee to greens was with a second ball, having dumped one in the water with my first attempt. I lost five balls off the tee and racked up seven penalty shots on my card in total.

I could easily have got myself a nice chunky cut to my handicap today if I had cut out the stupid shit. We go again tomorrow 😂