Golfers Thread

Gaz

Considering I'm organising it, I reckon it will be the salt and vinegar side of the country!  18 holes would be good, but planning on organising it at a difficult 9 hole course just in case weather is awful.  Plus, it keeps the price down (I have a few deals up my sleeve, including food and drink) and would entice occasional golfers to take part.

That could be anywhere except Edinburgh :P sounds good, do you have any courses in mind?

I would be interested in a charity day if it was at the weekend. One of the courses at Falkirk would be a good shout since both the Tryst and Carmuirs are central with good motorway links in all directions.

Golf game is starting to suffer again now I'm back at school teaching but at least during the summer i have managed to knock 5 strokes off my handicap.

Playing my first round for a couple o months at Eastwood on Friday which I'm looking forward to.

It's one of the courses local to me that I'm considering joining next year.

I played it years ago before they built the new holes to accommodate the M77 upgrade, so I don't know what to expect.

I'm considering joining a local course next year - I'm very near Williamwood so I think I'll plump for that. I'd be interested to know what Eastwood is like, though!

Dragged my arse out of bed at 6 and finally went down and played Deaconsbank next to the house, got 18 in before signing on for work. Got to love working from home days.

Shot 85, which I was very happy with. Came closest I've ever been to an eagle after hitting it pin high at the downhill par 4 12th, chipped on and hit the base of the pin. Rolled about 6 feet away and I missed the birdie putt. :thumbsdown

A very enjoyable way to spend a couple of hours before work.

I may even do it again tomorrow.

Deaconsbank's a great wee course. The fourth is a great eagle chance as well! The best hole's the tenth though, I'd say - it wouldn't be out of place on any course.

I'm considering joining a local course next year - I'm very near Williamwood so I think I'll plump for that. I'd be interested to know what Eastwood is like, though!

Deaconsbank's a great wee course. The fourth is a great eagle chance as well! The best hole's the tenth though, I'd say - it wouldn't be out of place on any course.

Eastwood was really nice. Quite hilly in places and whilst it was a nice day when we played it was very windy and its pretty exposed. Spoke to a guy I work with who said that its USGA greens they have so they play on them all year round. I've just moved to Patterton so I've got a wealth of choice for courses to try out. Going to give Williamwood a go soon.

I've played Deaconsbank the last few mornings now and it's a smashing wee course as you say. There's a couple of really, really nice holes 13 and 15 stand out for me. Only thing letting it down is even off the whites it's only about 4000 yds.

Eastwood was really nice. Quite hilly in places and whilst it was a nice day when we played it was very windy and its pretty exposed. Spoke to a guy I work with who said that its USGA greens they have so they play on them all year round. I've just moved to Patterton so I've got a wealth of choice for courses to try out. Going to give Williamwood a go soon.

I've played Deaconsbank the last few mornings now and it's a smashing wee course as you say. There's a couple of really, really nice holes 13 and 15 stand out for me. Only thing letting it down is even off the whites it's only about 4000 yds.

The only problem is - when it's in a bad way, it's terrible. The 12th is only playable about half the time - probably not too bad given that you should get near the green in one, but still.

I don't mind the lack of distance as I'm not a big hitter. I hate the 15th but love the 13th, my drives always go for miles there.

The only problem is - when it's in a bad way, it's terrible. The 12th is only playable about half the time - probably not too bad given that you should get near the green in one, but still.

I don't mind the lack of distance as I'm not a big hitter. I hate the 15th but love the 13th, my drives always go for miles there.

I've managed to hit it pin high the last twice I've played the 12th. From the whites i just take my line over the left hand one of the two trees in front of the tee and take the paint off it. My natural slice takes it down the hill.

If I designed a hole specifically to cater to my "hit it long with a big slice style" then that would be it :D

I've managed to hit it pin high the last twice I've played the 12th. From the whites i just take my line over the left hand one of the two trees in front of the tee and take the paint off it. My natural slice takes it down the hill.

If I designed a hole specifically to cater to my "hit it long with a big slice style" then that would be it :D

Shamefully I've never tried the course off the whites. Now I've got a decent driver, maybe it's about time I did!

Played a tournament last night with folk from my work. Eight folk and I finished joint second, happy with that.

It was at Oatridge near Uphall. Nice wee 9-hole course, we went round twice.

Not a massively difficult course. Annoyingly I threw away five strokes at the 15th, 16th and 17th (was seven-under at that point). But a nice evening.

Rules question- I assume if you take an unplayable in a bunker you have to still drop it in the bunker? And if so is it back in a straight line or just no nearer the hole?

I was pretty close to that yesterday- ball nearly plugged millimetres from the lip of the bunker but crawled out a couple of inches and had enough room to hack out away from the hole- if it had stayed in the plugmark I'd have had no option. It was only a bounce game so no biggie but something that's never cropped up before.

Rules question- I assume if you take an unplayable in a bunker you have to still drop it in the bunker? And if so is it back in a straight line or just no nearer the hole?

I was pretty close to that yesterday- ball nearly plugged millimetres from the lip of the bunker but crawled out a couple of inches and had enough room to hack out away from the hole- if it had stayed in the plugmark I'd have had no option. It was only a bounce game so no biggie but something that's never cropped up before.

Yes to drop in bunker . Nothing sure but suspect line of entry no nearer the hole

Played Kilspindie this morning. It's always windy but f**k me that was tough. 170 yard par 3 downwind, I put a 9 iron 20 yards through the green. 4 decent strikes into wind on the par 5 second and still short.

Edited by Disco Duck

Played on Friday morning and hit a 92. Should easily have been below 90 but had a couple of silly 7s back to back early in the back nine.

Thy include an incredible trick shot, however, that id submit no-one has ever managed before or will again.

I hit it from where this pic was taken, between the boughs of this tree (just above the yellow mark where the wood is only about six inches apart) then straight into the front of that tiny wee tree slightly to the left. That tree is only about three golf balls wide. Incredible tekkers.

I'm heading to aberdeen on thursday to play the hazlehead no. 2 course, anyone played it? Thoughts?

Not bad, but a bit open. You'd be better playing the Alistair McKenzie designed no 1.

Used to be fantastic courses but unfortunately looking a bit tired and neglected now.