Golfers Thread

Gaz

Just now, Perkin Flump said:

Fair dos Pepp, he is a good guy. Remember watching him during the practice rounds at the Ryder Cup at Celtic Manor, he was waiting on some European players clearing the green & was playing some chip shots while he was delayed. One of the guys I was with pointed out he was only doing it to keep us all entertained while we were waiting & he smiled and nodded at him.

I've heard some amazing stories about him. 

I have another one too, more recent. The hat I worked in a hotel he was staying in during the Open. Sat morning as he was checking out he was literally walking out of the door to leave having missed the cut. He just happened to glance at me and another guy standing at our desk, stopped, put his case down, unzipped it, got half a dozen of these tan coloured KPMG visors out and a sharpee, came over signed them all said hand these out among yourselves you guys have been great this week.

No journalists or fans about, he didn't need to do that, so always remembered it.

Another one I was in charge of a locker room at the Open once. Again bad tournament for him, Sunday late on some guy comes in, no idea who he was. He said are you in charge of the locker room, I'm like well....yeah he's like have you been in charge of the locker room all week...I'm thinking what is it you want mate did you lose something or whatever...I'm like well yeah he holds his hand out to shake mine and goes "from Mr Mickelson" and gave me a wad of notes probably about 500 quid. I didn't count it as you hand it straight in it goes in a pot to be divided but it was a fair amount.

Spent some time with his brother too and he was well sound. Tim, off about plus 4 amazing golfer. So I've always been a big Mickelson fan. I've also heard bad stories about him but my own experience of him he has been brilliant.  

1 minute ago, HalfCutNinja said:

I've heard some amazing stories about him. 

I have another one too, more recent. The hat I worked in a hotel he was staying in during the Open. Sat morning as he was checking out he was literally walking out of the door to leave having missed the cut. He just happened to glance at me and another guy standing at our desk, stopped, put his case down, unzipped it, got half a dozen of these tan coloured KPMG visors out and a sharpee, came over signed them all said hand these out among yourselves you guys have been great this week.

No journalists or fans about, he didn't need to do that, so always remembered it.

Another one I was in charge of a locker room at the Open once. Again bad tournament for him, Sunday late on some guy comes in, no idea who he was. He said are you in charge of the locker room, I'm like well....yeah he's like have you been in charge of the locker room all week...I'm thinking what is it you want mate did you lose something or whatever...I'm like well yeah he holds his hand out to shake mine and goes "from Mr Mickelson" and gave me a wad of notes probably about 500 quid. I didn't count it as you hand it straight in it goes in a pot to be divided but it was a fair amount.

Spent some time with his brother too and he was well sound. Tim, off about plus 4 amazing golfer. So I've always been a big Mickelson fan. I've also heard bad stories about him but my own experience of him he has been brilliant.  

Wow! That’s some grade A bullshit 

There’s just something really, really entertaining about seeing the absolute best in the business at the top of their game. Someone doing something that you yourself love, but can do it at a level that you could only really dream of. Honestly, when Pepp starts recounting tales of interactions with top golfers, it just does not get any better. A genius at work.

The golf is a pretty decent watch as well.

1 minute ago, J_Stewart said:

There’s just something really, really entertaining about seeing the absolute best in the business at the top of their game. Someone doing something that you yourself love, but can do it at a level that you could only really dream of. Honestly, when Pepp starts recounting tales of interactions with top golfers, it just does not get any better. A genius at work.

The golf is a pretty decent watch as well.

Its clearly relevant to the conversation, why would you not mention it?

I think the real issue is a bit of jealousy tbh. If it would make you feel better you can have the hat, the signature is pretty faded and I don't wear visors. Do you want me to send it to you?

McGinley's timing impeccable as always there. Sungjae Im having a great day - splash!
I'm fed up betting Im. Always finds one hole to ruin his round when he's looking decent for a place.

Its clearly relevant to the conversation, why would you not mention it?
I think the real issue is a bit of jealousy tbh. If it would make you feel better you can have the hat, the signature is pretty faded and I don't wear visors. Do you want me to send it to you?

Yes, yes, a thousand times yes. One of the visors too if you still have any left please.

Just now, Tynierose said:

Prey tell.

Well his caddie is from NI, Portrush I think. But when he played over here on the what is it Euro Pro Tour or whatever he had a Scottish caddie, from St Andrews I think but was a Kingsbarns caddie originally.

Anyway so when he turned pro he asked this guy do you want to caddie for me on tour. Obviously he did, so him and his brother flew to California to sort it all out. They were to meet Koepka the next day to arrange everything, so the first night they got there they went out for a few drinks.

Ended up getting into a wee fight, nothing serious just a drunk scuffle but enough that I think they spent a night in the cells. Anyway so go to meet Koepka and are told by his management team or whatever no way would you get a visa now, we can't offer you the job.

So he gets the guy from NI who has now won four majors with him and made about ten million. Choker.