Golfers Thread

Gaz

Two medals in two days DD?!

Club competition. Four rounds Saturday, Sunday, Monday and Tuesday. Not planning to play in all 4 as work gets in the way though have done so before.

Generally decent numbers play first 2 rounds then as you can imagine only those who are in contention generally play the final 2. Almost gets to be a case of last man standing some years. It`s set up so that even if you don`t play all 4 rounds you can play in any number for sweep purposes and all scores are "counting" for handicap.

I`ve been in the buffer zone 3 times this week (Wed, Sat, Sunday) !

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

Club competition. Four rounds Saturday, Sunday, Monday and Tuesday. Not planning to play in all 4 as work gets in the way though have done so before.

Generally decent numbers play first 2 rounds then as you can imagine only those who are in contention generally play the final 2. Almost gets to be a case of last man standing some years. It`s set up so that even if you don`t play all 4 rounds you can play in any number for sweep purposes and all scores are "counting" for handicap.

I`ve been in the buffer zone 3 times this week (Wed, Sat, Sunday) !

Consistent scoring mate, nothing wrong with that!

I seem to be getting back on track as I followed Saturdays score with a good victory in the last 16 of the handicap knockout yesterday.

The weather was dreadful, had to hit driver (and was short) at two par 3s barely over 200 yards and also nailed a 3 iron from 150 yards (yes... 3 iron) on 9 only to see it finish 20 yards short of the green. Thankfully my short game was excellent and I was only 9 over after holing the winning putt on 17 - given the weather that was an absolute miracle.

The fact that it was against my pal and playing partner (and the 2011 winner) was an added bonus.

All in all a good weekend of golf for me and my faith in the golfing Gods has been restored after some trying times lately!

Consistent scoring mate, nothing wrong with that!

I seem to be getting back on track as I followed Saturdays score with a good victory in the last 16 of the handicap knockout yesterday.

The weather was dreadful, had to hit driver (and was short) at two par 3s barely over 200 yards and also nailed a 3 iron from 150 yards (yes... 3 iron) on 9 only to see it finish 20 yards short of the green. Thankfully my short game was excellent and I was only 9 over after holing the winning putt on 17 - given the weather that was an absolute miracle.

The fact that it was against my pal and playing partner (and the 2011 winner) was an added bonus.

All in all a good weekend of golf for me and my faith in the golfing Gods has been restored after some trying times lately!

Very windy yesterday. I hit a 3 wood on a 150 yard par 3 and was about a foot over the back of the green, Crazy stuff.

Played Prestwick st Cuthberts the other day and had my first ever round in the 70s. 75 off the yellows but with the 3 longest holes off the whites. 4 birdies but still had 2 missed putts from 3 feet.

Great stuff. Really great when you break a barrier like that whether it be breaking 100, 90, 80 or whatever.

Been invited to play in a Texas Scramble on Saturday at my mate's course. Could someone give me an idiot's guide to how it works?

Been invited to play in a Texas Scramble on Saturday at my mate's course. Could someone give me an idiot's guide to how it works?

Easy. Generally played in teams of 4, all players tee off and the best drive is selected, all players play from that spot and then choose the best shot from that position from which to play their next.

Basically everyone plays the same shot and you select the best outcome until someone is in the hole.

Usually there is a criteria that you must select 3/4 drives from everyone to make you think a bit.

Handed in three scorecards: +9, +10 and +11.

In return, I've been given a handicap of 16? Quite bizzare in my opinion but I should be able to get a cut pretty quickly.

Edited by forzamorton

Handed in three scorecards: +9, +10 and +11.

In return, I've been given a handicap of 16? Quite bizzare in my opinion but I should be able to get a cut pretty quickly.

Have you had a handicap before? If so, they often give you somewhere between your old handicap and old handicap plus two.

Alright guys,

Looking for a bit of advice really.

Think I'm going to start playing golf, just casually with my dad and brother.

I was in a car accident just over three years ago and injured my right arm badly, meant i had to have two plates and a pin in my arm. It means I'm not quite able to straighten my right arm completely, I'd say its maybe just over 5 degrees off completely straight. I can't rotate my wrist through the full range, I'd say I've lost about 15% of normal movement there when turning palm of my hand to face my body (I don't think this will be an issue?). Don't have any shoulder trouble or anything, injury was really to my elbow.

I'm just wondering if anyone with a better knowledge of golf swing etc can advise how this will affect me and if anyone has any tips on how to best play around it? Not sure if anyone on here has maybe played with a similar injury.

Cheers :)

Edited by gavin_3110

Alright guys,

Looking for a bit of advice really.

Think I'm going to start playing golf, just casually with my dad and brother.

I was in a car accident just over three years ago and injured my right arm badly, meant i had to have two plates and a pin in my arm. It means I'm not quite able to straighten my right arm completely, I'd say its maybe just over 5 degrees off completely straight. I can't rotate my wrist through the full range, I'd say I've lost about 15% of normal movement there when turning palm of my hand to face my body (I don't think this will be an issue?). Don't have any shoulder trouble or anything, injury was really to my elbow.

I'm just wondering if anyone with a better knowledge of golf swing etc can advise how this will affect me and if anyone has any tips on how to best play around it? Not sure if anyone on here has maybe played with a similar injury.

Cheers :)

Go and take a lesson from a pga pro he should help more than anybody on here can (apart from mid table maybe)

I played royal musselburgh on monday shot 80 but thought i was playing rubbish,2mr im playing king james in perth as im going to the race meeting in the afternoon

Easy. Generally played in teams of 4, all players tee off and the best drive is selected, all players play from that spot and then choose the best shot from that position from which to play their next.

Basically everyone plays the same shot and you select the best outcome until someone is in the hole.

Usually there is a criteria that you must select 3/4 drives from everyone to make you think a bit.

That's great, cheers. How does it work in relation to handicaps / scoring? I'm a high handicapper (27) but my mate plays off 8 and his two pals are about 12/13 I think.

That's great, cheers. How does it work in relation to handicaps / scoring? I'm a high handicapper (27) but my mate plays off 8 and his two pals are about 12/13 I think.

It depends on what the club decides. I think my club uses the total handicaps divided by 8 but I know in the past we've used a weird formula which I think seemed to favour the lower handicapped teams.

My old handicap was, coincidentally, 16.

How long since that handicap was active?

There is absolutely no way in the world you should be given 16.

I'm presuming you didn't have anything higher than nett double bogey.

If that's the case, your handicap should be your best score out of the three minus the SSS. So if your course SSS = Par, you should have been given 9.

There is absolutely no doubt about that, the CONGU rules state it quite clearly.

If you had a handicap in the last few years and it was lower than your three submitted cards, then it would be reasonable to get a handicap halfway between the best card and your old handicap. With your three submitted cards being lower than your old handicap, then your old handicap should effectively be discounted.

Maybe didn't play off whit tees?

I think that might be it. Forza, presumably you played off the yellows and, assuming you played two rounds of the 9 hole for each card, you would have had far easier tee shots at 3, 4 & 9. Given the scratch is either 62 or 63 for a 64 par on the wee course from the whites, I'd expect they'd consider it a 60 from the yellows.

Still good shooting, and if you put a couple of good scores in you'll qualify for an ESR which will take you down even quicker.

Another decent round in the Wed medal yesterday, ending up with a 77-9=68 though finishing bogey, bogey was disappointing. Still, brings my exact down to 8.7 having been 9.5 this time last week.

In other news, if anyone has the new edition of bunkered there's a photo of me with Miguel Angel Jiminez on page 12!

After a horrific medal on Wednesday that's me up to 28. Still, that's what I should have been on from the start, so can't complain.

Taking the driver out of my bag for a few weeks, getting into far too much trouble with it. Will use my hybrid to tee off for the next wee while and see what happens.