Golfers Thread

Gaz

Heading up to Elie tomorrow to get my first round of the year in at the 9 hole course they have up there, will be going round that twice. I'm pretty crap at golf but I do alright up there, it's a pretty simple course which I'd recommend to anyone who's a beginner and/or not playing off a low handicap.

Aye, it's a nice wee course and pretty easy to play too. My lasting memory of that place will always be being stuck behind an old woman for a full 9 holes who was using a putter and a putter only. Kudos to the old dame, as she was managing 50-yard drives with the thing.

I kind of picked up golf again last year after a self-imposed exile of about 3 years, basically I play with my brothers (who are considerably older and better than me) and my dad and I used to have a shite temperament due to duffing a shots and carding pish scores, bearing in mind I was only about 12. I got really hacked off and chucked it, despite being a bit of a natural at it. So, last year I decided it was time to give it a shot and I played a few rounds, but it was hard to adapt to borrowing clubs and although my play with irons and putting was decent, my driving was hopeless.

I wanted to play a fair bit of golf over this summer so my brother gave me his (pretty old, but still not bad) irons as he'd upgraded to a new set, and I scrounged an old Donnay driver, golf bag and a putter from spare stuff lying around. Hit the driving range with my dad, brother and his mate on Friday there after my last exam and took the driver and a 5 and 8 iron from the set, before tearing my right hand to absolute shreds - went away with 3 blisters on my right hand, one of which was totally cut open. Ouch. Thankfully I had a glove for my left hand! I did hit some nice shots and some fantastic 200+ yard drives that were completely straight, so it was good to hit a few balls.

Then, against my better judgement, I played a round with my dad at a nearby par-68 course yesterday, with my wounded right hand plastered to the high heavens. I started off horrifically and went out in a generous 60, with my dad charitably allowing me a few shots. The plasters offered nothing and my blisters were even worse, and nothing was going right. My shite temperament was back, before I changed my glove over to my right hand to protect the blisters. From there I played the best golf of my life; I outdrove my dad several times, once with a 3 iron which I hit about 200 yards, and came back in 46 - my touch around the greens wasn't as good as it normally was, as they were running pretty fast, otherwise it could've been nearer 40. Only 2 off my dad who is a decent player.

Overall, it's good to be playing golf again and now I'm more mature I'll have to start enjoying it even when I'm playing poorly. It's also so much easier to hit the ball a good distance now - I was over-hitting quite a lot of shots due to the fact I've not played semi-regularly for years :lol:

Trying to get back into golf so my old man took me out for a round of Darley in Troon today. Course is good as public courses go but a real challenge in places, especially if like me today you keep slicing it off the tee or get in the deep bunkers around the greens! Equally tricky is the number of blind shots over crests.

In the end shot 116, which isn't great but only 4 really poor holes cost from being around the 100 mark.

Forza... Some people broke into the shed overnight and hotwired 3 of the golf carts before driving them around the course and setting them alight on the 16th green.

Took a couple of photos tonight.

post-1533-137038675355_thumb.jpg

The CSS will need to rise by a shot IMO if we are using the 9th on the wee course instead of the 16th for the foreseeable. Hopefully it gets sorted soon but I did hear that they may have to relay the whole green.

Heading up to Elie tomorrow to get my first round of the year in at the 9 hole course they have up there, will be going round that twice. I'm pretty crap at golf but I do alright up there, it's a pretty simple course which I'd recommend to anyone who's a beginner and/or not playing off a low handicap.

I especially like the 8th, the 200 yard "par 4" they have there. Still good fun, mind.

Forza... Some people broke into the shed overnight and hotwired 3 of the golf carts before driving them around the course and setting them alight on the 16th green.

http://www.pieandbovril.com/forum/public/style_images/teamtheme/attachicon.gif ImageUploadedByPie & Bovril1370387015.405482.jpg

The CSS will need to rise by a shot IMO if we are using the 9th on the wee course instead of the 16th for the foreseeable. Hopefully it gets sorted soon but I did hear that they may have to relay the whole green.

I was told this today off a mate of mine. Absolute disgrace. I liked that hole too. <_<

Edited by forzamorton

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByPie & Bovril1370387015.405482.jpg

This incident, plus a bunch of wanks having BBQ's on the 2nd green at Port Glasgow has made it a bad week for our local courses. We (Skelmorlie) often get problems over the summer as well. Does my tits in :(

Anyway, +9 for me today, closest I've got to playing to my handicap (8) so far this year.

This incident, plus a bunch of wanks having BBQ's on the 2nd green at Port Glasgow has made it a bad week for our local courses. We (Skelmorlie) often get problems over the summer as well. Does my tits in :(

Anyway, +9 for me today, closest I've got to playing to my handicap (8) so far this year.

You back up the road boyo?

I went to a range yesterday in Perth an hits 50 balls for the first time in about 2 years. I could not believe how well I was smashing my 3 wood off the tee. I just really wish I could hit a driver like that!

Aye mate, been back just over a month. Getting regular golf again is the best thing about that! What you playing off these days?

Superb... We should get a game over the summer - a rematch of the 2010 Royalle Club final.

Playing off 9 at the moment but have only had one score (along with 4 buffer and 3 NRs) all season which is a bit disappointing. Hoping to make up for my NR on Saturday with a win in my tie tonight.

Superb... We should get a game over the summer - a rematch of the 2010 Royalle Club final.

Playing off 9 at the moment but have only had one score (along with 4 buffer and 3 NRs) all season which is a bit disappointing. Hoping to make up for my NR on Saturday with a win in my tie tonight.

They still tell tales of that Royalle Club final around the snooker table...

I managed 10 holes tonight in +1 whilst getting eaten alive by more midgies than Ive ever seen!

They still tell tales of that Royalle Club final around the snooker table...

I managed 10 holes tonight in +1 whilst getting eaten alive by more midgies than Ive ever seen!

Was actually sitting beside the snooker table as I read this last night!

Pretty mental tie last night... my opponent was +1 for the first 10 holes and I was 4 down but I managed to come back in 35 and sneaked it at the last. Certainly the best come from behind victory I've had in a long time - delighted.

I went to a range yesterday in Perth an hits 50 balls for the first time in about 2 years. I could not believe how well I was smashing my 3 wood off the tee. I just really wish I could hit a driver like that

No shame in using 3 wood of the tee if driver is problematic. Any loss in distance very often compensated by keeping the ball on the short stuff in my experience.

No shame in using 3 wood of the tee if driver is problematic. Any loss in distance very often compensated by keeping the ball on the short stuff in my experience.

Correct. I just can seem to get the power from a driver like a do from my 3 wood. I'm getting a ping G5 driver for £20 off someone so see how that does.

I actually hit my 3 wood as long as my driver, but the 3 wood is so much more accurate. The driver is carried purely for show these days.

Anyway, I'm playing craigie hill again today. Hoping I can get down to around the 105 mark.

I actually hit my 3 wood as long as my driver, but the 3 wood is so much more accurate. The driver is carried purely for show these days.

Anyway, I'm playing craigie hill again today. Hoping I can get down to around the 105 mark.

Hope you got out before the rain!

We should get a game together some time.