Golfers Thread

Gaz

Played king james course in perth today (the island). Second round of the year, first which I've taken my score, and I matched my best score (109). Delightful.

Have you played many courses in Perth mate? Living in Perth myself I was looking to play a few courses around me but not sure what's best and worse.

I've played the 3 in perth, plus been a member at dunkeld for a few years on and off. The north inch is the worst of the courses, it's council run and the back end of it had had a lot of drainage issues over the past couple of years. It's decent if you're just starting and want a fairly easy course though. Craigie hill is a challenge as it's, well, a hill. Only played it once but I fair enjoyed it. I've played the island twice, 1st time it was a boggy mess but it was much better on sunday there, and should be even better when the extensive drainage work is complete. dunkeld is a good challenge as well, very hilly (although not as much as craigie) on the old part of the course, the new part is flatter but has a few drainage problems in sections. For young people, the membership rates are tremendous. I'll be rejoining there at the end of the month after my wedding, costs £75 for the year for u21s.

Eta: in short, I'd recommend the island over the others. Hope this helps.

Edited by die hard doonhamer

Off to Monifeith to play both courses there over the weekend. Can't wait have heard the Scottish Boys have been there for the past week and its supposed to be in cracking condition.

I played the Ashludie at 7am this morning, this was the view from the 2nd tee.post-1919-0-59196100-1365275854_thumb.jp

My dad is in charge of course policy there so hopefully you will enjoy it.

I'm playing both courses tomorrow, members are just glad to get the big course back after 7 days not being able to play it.

Edited by mid-table

Played the Ashludie today. Course was in great condition, and the greens were lightning fast. 3 putted more times than I care to remember and had a nightmare at the Par 3 16th taking a 7.

Finished just in time to see the Scottish Boys Champion being presented with his trophy aswell.

Played the Ashludie today. Course was in great condition, and the greens were lightning fast. 3 putted more times than I care to remember and had a nightmare at the Par 3 16th taking a 7.

Finished just in time to see the Scottish Boys Champion being presented with his trophy aswell.

The greens really were not fast today. Your home course must be an inland course if you think that.

You will find the Medal greens much faster tomorrow, I played Carnoustie this afternoon and they were miles faster than Ashludie.

The greens really were not fast today. Your home course must be an inland course if you think that.

You will find the Medal greens much faster tomorrow, I played Carnoustie this afternoon and they were miles faster than Ashludie.

Well yes I am a member of an inland course, it's only my 4th time on a links course. I had a bit of a practice on the green behind the starters hut, but couldn't get the speed of the greens all day. Really looking forward to tomorrow on the Medal course.

I've had a couple of lessons now and think I'm making progress, although I'm still shooting in the 100s. This is mostly caused by atrocious tee shots - since starting lessons and changing my grip and swing I now have an atrocious slice!

I've set myself the goal of getting my handicap down to under 15 in the next ten years. I've started a blog, so those of you who are interested can read it here:

http://twelveunder.blogspot.co.uk/

PS thinking of getting a new hybrid as my one is a £8 Dunlop from Sports Direct. Any recommendations for a (very) high handicapper like me? Should I get fitted for one or just buy one off the shelf?

PS thinking of getting a new hybrid as my one is a £8 Dunlop from Sports Direct. Any recommendations for a (very) high handicapper like me? Should I get fitted for one or just buy one off the shelf?

Speak to your pro. He`ll know what would suit best and can let you try some options.

Hybrids are great value for almost any ability of golfer. I think it was Padraig Harrington who said he didn`t understand why any club player wouldn`t use them as they are so much easier to hit than long irons.

All the best with your aims to improve. Once you are playing regularly concentrate on short game stuff for practice rather than just endlessly lashing shots on the range.

Guest honestrae95

I've worked in a Pro Shop for a few years as a Sunday/Summer job and I'd recommend going down to your local pro-shop and looking at second hand hybrids. Speak to the pro, but I'd recommend practically anything with a regular shaft (Taylormade Burners are cracking hybrids). There's some fantastic 2nd hand clubs that are maybe only 1 year old about just now. Ping and Taylormade have just brought out this seasons new stuff and there's plenty of trade-ins happening. You could save up to £50 buying last years model and you'd never know that it had ever been hit!

Guest honestrae95

Got a Regional comp. this morning and its fucking pissing down and blowing a gale. I really, really, really cannot be fucked playing but it's a schools competition and my teacher will be mad if I pull out! Wish me luck.

Have you played many courses in Perth mate? Living in Perth myself I was looking to play a few courses around me but not sure what's best and worse.

I agree that the North Inch is the worst course in Perth and I would say that King James is the best. I have to say I wasn't very fond of Craigie Hill the couple of times I have played it and would recommend giving it a miss.

If you are able to drive Crieff was good for a day out that last time I played it. Did the 9 hole course in the morning to warm up, grabbed some lunch and then played the 18 in the afternoon. I also love playing Muthill, which is a nice 9 hole course and is very good if you are just learning. Finally Kinross have two cracing 18 hole courses and both of these are good to play. Pretty sure the Bunkered vocuhers cover all of these courses and so if you can get a mate to go along then it makes it a lot cheaper.

Just a few golfing updates.

1. Joined Playsport East Kilbride. If anyone fancies a game, give me a shout.

2. Playing to a 24 handicap (unconfirmed) which given that I was playing to 32 in August, I'm chuffed with

3. Lessons DO help. Working on my swing with a brilliant coach in Edinburgh

4. Got a more local coach going to help me with my putting. Hopefully this will help my scores tumble as I 3-putt around 6 times per round.

Obsessed is not the word.

I agree that the North Inch is the worst course in Perth and I would say that King James is the best. I have to say I wasn't very fond of Craigie Hill the couple of times I have played it and would recommend giving it a miss.

If you are able to drive Crieff was good for a day out that last time I played it. Did the 9 hole course in the morning to warm up, grabbed some lunch and then played the 18 in the afternoon. I also love playing Muthill, which is a nice 9 hole course and is very good if you are just learning. Finally Kinross have two cracing 18 hole courses and both of these are good to play. Pretty sure the Bunkered vocuhers cover all of these courses and so if you can get a mate to go along then it makes it a lot cheaper.

Murrayshall is far superior to King James. Both courses are better.

I've had a couple of lessons now and think I'm making progress, although I'm still shooting in the 100s. This is mostly caused by atrocious tee shots - since starting lessons and changing my grip and swing I now have an atrocious slice!

I've set myself the goal of getting my handicap down to under 15 in the next ten years. I've started a blog, so those of you who are interested can read it here:

http://twelveunder.blogspot.co.uk/

Gaz, anyone with half a clue how to swing a club should be able to break 100 without improving their swing. It's all down to course management.

Drop me a PM if you want a fool-proof plan on how to break 100.